Roomster Scout or Roomster SE?

I'm looking around for another car and have decided the Roomster is the one to go for.

I've found a couple of used ones - both 1.9 TDI, almost identical mileage but one is a Scout and the other is SE.

As far as I can make out, the Scout has the body kit, slightly higher ride and tinted windows.

The SE version I've spotted has panoramic roof, cruise control, chrome and leather packs.

The price (before haggling) for the Scout is £500 more than the SE.

Which type is the best to go for? ...or is it simply personal preference?

Thanks,

DG

Hi DG and welcome to Briskoda.

Im 99.% certain suspension and ride height are the same on SE and Scout.  The ride height may look different because the SE comes with 15" alloys (and standard profile tyres) while the Scout comes with 16" alloys (and low profile tyres).  Tyres on the Scout are also slightly wider.  This combination of wide/low profile tyres gives the Scout a noticeable firmer ride.

Roof rails are standard on Scout but an option on SE.  If you plan to use a roof rack, you will definitely need the rails.  Rails can be retro-fitted by a dealer but it's expensive.

The deal breaker for me would be the panoramic sunroof.  It's not standard on the Scout and I had to specify it as an option on mine, but I love it.

Whichever Roomster you buy, enjoy it  :thumbup:

:thumbup:  +1 for the panoramic sunroof.  Other cars seem so dark and claustrophobic since I had mine.  It was the prime reason I went for the SE over the Scout though also, I didn't really like the Scout's black body kit coupled with my colour choice of Candy White.

Note also that cruise control is not standard on the SE.  Are you sure the SE you saw doesn't have the sunset glass in the rear?  Should be standard.'

My mistake.... it's a "3", not an SE but thanks for the feedback so far.  The one with panoramic sunroof seems to be the one to go for....

Edited by DeeGee74

it's a "3"......The one with panoramic sunroof seems to be the one to go for....

Yes, that would be my choice.

I'm guessing the car is four years old or more.  Skoda recommend the cambelt is changed every four years regardless of mileage.  Make sure the service record shows the belt has been changed and if not, insist it is changed as part of the deal.

Good luck.

There's very much differences in spesification of the models in different countries.

Here in Finland Scout is the highest specced version of the Roomster. It comes standard with glass roof, body kit, 16" wheels, automatic air conditioning, maxidot display and leather and chrome styling set.

I have had a '3' and a Scout. The panoramic roof I could live without. I found the panels on the Scout useful when SWMBO scraped a wall and it only needed a change of two panels as opposed to lots of filler and re-spray. Whatever, you should look for one with maxidot or you wont even have an engine temp. gauge. 

• 3 weeks later...

A rather late posting from me.

I have a Scout 1.2 tsi 105 from new and am very happy with it

. My only criticism is that is came with a set of 16" alloy wheels with 205/45 tyres. Not extreme low profile but look rather silly in my opinion and rather too easy to scratch the side of the alloys.

I was sold on the roof rails, tinted rear windows and did not want a panoramic roof.

Perhaps I should have gone for a SE with factory fitted roof rails :blush:

Personally I'd go for the Scout because I think the chunkier styling and alloys just make the Roomster look "right"

Either way, it's a brilliantly thought out, versatile and spacious car that's good fun to drive too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a lot of comments on the 1.2 tsi petrol 105ps and I have a 1.6 Tdi se 105 ps which is superb but I was wondering what difference I would find driving a 1.2 105 ps compared to the 1.6 diesel. I do most of my driving on motorways and need to cope with lots of climbing on the continent. I am however concerned about the latest reports about the damaging emissions from Diesel engines.

So 1.6 diesel or 1.2 petrol? Your comments please..

I've got the 86 bhp 1.2tsi and haven't found it lacking in power, took a car full and three adults up Sutton Bank without problems and indeed seemed to want to accelerate up the hill. It smelt very hot at the top but I'm guessing it was still burning off wax from engine and exhaust. Cruises really well on the motorway and easily tips over the limit without realising.

Suspect the 105bhp will be a super drive, I do wonder if the economy suffers with the more bhp.

If you have a 1.6 tdi and you do a lot of motorway driving, then I would not change to a 1.2 tsi 105. You will not get the same MPG on motorways. I under stand your concern regarding emissions, if you were driving around the town most of the time but as your spending more time on motorways then your revs will be lower and will not be causing so much exhaust fumes. I wonder how much of this concern is Goverment hype? Most of the German car manufactures appear to be continuing with a advancement, if this was causing so much harm then I am sure they would be going down the route of producing a hybrid petrol engine rather then diesel.

But they have the VWG sell the Hybrid Petrol now, the 1.4 TSI Golf GTE & Audi A3 e-tronic.

& for just Petrol Turbos and better economy and lower emissions,

VW , Audi & Seat get the 1.4TSI ACT / 1.4 TFSI COD and Skoda get not a sniff of them.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

The UK government charge less VED on the Diesels than Petrols where the Diesel supposedly has less emissions.

Edited by goneoffSKi