Vectra VXR - Bought one!

skinnyman

like i said, would be very suprised if there is more room in the rear of the Vectra, for what its worth width of the rear seat in my MK2 is approx 1.50m from door armrest to door armrest

like i said, would be very suprised if there is more room in the rear of the Vectra, for what its worth width of the rear seat in my MK2 is approx 1.50m from door armrest to door armrest

Definitely more room in the rear seat of a Vectra than an Octavia.

I went from a Vectra to an Octavia and found the 3 passengers in the back complaining for width.

I didn'nt care because the car was so much better to drive :)

The Octavia is a much better car, and has lots of boot space, but the Vectra is slightly wider for 3 passengers. That is it's one and only trump card.

I stand by my original comment. Don't buy a Vectra.

The vectra rear bench feels smaller than an octy rear bench. Ok I'm talking older models here not newest ones. My octy was an estate (03 plate) and my sisters vectra a hatch (older than 03) but the estate was def bigger (or at least more comfortable) with the same 3 people in the rear bench.

Volvos are bigger still tho I think. But they are pretty much like tanks lol

This is important - you're looking for evidence of the sump being dropped (to clean out the crap from a breather system that rots internally and drops rubber bits into the oil) and for the engine breather to have been upgraded to at least version 6.  This is on the 250bhp 2.3 engines, and might not be relevant for later cars in your bracket.

Gaz

Cheers for the answer as to why this happens. The saab 95 limo that we sold last year seized on the new owner hours after he bought it. It was 2.3 turbo, but it was the Eco version which I think was about 200bhp.

Well, call me crazy, foolhardy or anything else that springs to mind but I'm in the process of negotiations on this particular car.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404053085644/sort/default/usedcars/model/vectra/radius/1500/keywords/vxr/postcode/yo125ju/page/3/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/vauxhall?logcode=p

It's in budget - just - and I love the look of it.  A fool & his money springs to mind but I reckon I'd be a happy fool for a while.

I seem to have a thing for black cars as I keep ending up with them.  It's also a good excuse to have an hour to myself every now and then cleaning it on the drive away from the three kids.

I agree though, the blue is particularly nice but I'm going stealth on this one.

• Like 1

If I had 3 kids I'd be looking at the next size up. Whether the Vectra is slightly larger on the rear bench than the Octy2, it won't be by much.

£485 for a year's tax?  :o

Personally, I'd be worried that it's going to drop like a stone in value. 

If you're spending that much, how about a BMW 6 pot diesel? You might end up with something a year or two older and with higher miles. But, similar power to the VXR, more torque, RWD, a tip auto, cheaper road tax, better handing, better residual value, and a more Germanic build. 

Edited by StevesTruck

Watch the earlier 3.0d BMs for tax too, especially the autos. Not quite as bad as £485, but still high for a diesel. Especially given the early ones are 184bhp for the 3.0 diesel.

I'd recommend the Vectra (BIASED) (Not so much the VXR)... I spent just under 5k for a 2007 1.8VVTi Exclusiv with 42.2k, Black with full leather, DAB + 6 Disc Changer and 17" alloys. With the 1.8 its cheap to run, and the engine is rather reliable (With the thermostat being the common problem) and cheap parts to replace should they go wrong!

As much as the VXR is a nice motor, the TAX is a bit extortionate for what it is really! £200 P/Y for my Veccy however :(

Edited by Lee A

ST220 is a great car, but thirsty. What about a remapped vrs? More powerful than the mondy, though that torque curve will make it a bit of a chore to drive really quickly, and the factory suspension is not quite as good as ford's, but a £200 on a stiffer RARB goes a long way to sorting that. Anything though than a vectra. The whole experience is unpleasant, gear change, steering (lack of) feel, roll understeer, bump steer and general lack of body control.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

All good points you've made there folks.  I totally agree on the tax thing, it's a ridiculous amount of money especially seeing as I worked out we've only covered about 6.5k miles per year in the family car for the last two years.  The 25mpg is very poor too, that's a lot of V-Power for sure.

Trouble is, I really want the VXR.  It's a car I've always wanted to own since I first saw one take off down the road back in 2006 - just after I'd bought my vRS.  If I don't get one while it's still possible (just) to run one as a family car I reckon I'll always regret it.  It makes no sense at all, costly to run and all the rest. 

Thing is though, I spend all my working week being sensible, making level headed decisions that aim to please everyone concerned.  I'm a bit bored of being sensible and driving a diesel Honda that brings me no joy whatsoever.  I may live to regret it, we'll see.

^^^ WTS

I'd love one if money wasn't a question.

Word of advice on the VXR which I have picked up whilst being on vectra-c.com... 

Ask when the cam chain was replaced, if at all. If not get it done, the originals are known to stretch. 

Assuming it is coming with the snowflake 19" alloys, check all 4 _THOROUGHLY_ to make sure the alloys have no cracks (VERY common) (Keep on top of tyre pressues and avoid holes to stop cracks)

Check the IDS Suspension for leaks > Rather expensive

Check the AFLs work as expected > Again, expensive to replace

Check the coils for snaps (common across all vectras)

There are a few other minor things, but they are across all Vectra C, Happy to PM if you want more info

Lee.

Edited by Lee A

^^^ WTS

I'd love one if money wasn't a question.

Word of advice on the VXR which I have picked up whilst being on vectra-c.com... 

Ask when the cam chain was replaced, if at all. If not get it done, the originals are known to stretch. 

Assuming it is coming with the snowflake 19" alloys, check all 4 _THOROUGHLY_ to make sure the alloys have no cracks (VERY common) (Keep on top of tyre pressues and avoid holes to stop cracks)

Check the IDS Suspension for leaks > Rather expensive

Check the AFLs work as expected > Again, expensive to replace

Check the coils for snaps (common across all vectras)

There are a few other minor things, but they are across all Vectra C, Happy to PM if you want more info

Lee.

Cheers Lee.

It's not got the Snowflake wheels, but these instead.  They're still 19" but from what I gather they aren't as prone to cracking.

Vectra1_zpsb1f6790a.jpg

Vectra2_zpsa6d1c2a5.jpg

As for the other bits I'll look into them.  The car will come with a years warranty but it's probably not worth the paper it's written on and the Network Q warranty gets very mixed reviews on t'net.  I'm going into this expecting a mixture of tears and joy but at least it'll be an experience rather than the beige existence of owning the Honda. 

edit.  One bonus is that the insurance has come in at £260.  Happy days!

Ah yes, those are the better ones, known as Diamond Cut alloys I believe, Those are the ones I prefer out of both!

My Vectra came from a Network Q and had 3 months Silver warranty.. I was surprised what they did though! 

Under warranty; Replaced VVT Cam gear, 2 rear tyres, mirror glass, steering wheel clicking, heated rear window, clutch juddering. And whilst it was being carried out I had a courtesy car (61 plate, 1.2 corsa). So if you have an issue, ask straight away!

OT: If you wanna lose the rear bumper + dual exit exhaust I'll happly swap for my single, hidden exit ahaha