Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

hmmmm, That looks like a nice clean install LadyVienna.... May I ask as to the total cost including fitting?

This is pretty rough (was a while ago now!) but was around £140 for the unit and for the fitting dinner / £20 and fluttering on eyelashes / pleading to lovely brisky members for the install.

As requested.

A Mobius with the wide angle lens, super capacitor and a 64GB card installed. Not sure on total cost as there were extra bits bought to wire this in but must be about £110 when you add the wire, blade fuse, 12v adaptor in.

I've been mocked by my colleagues for installing a 'spy cam' but funny how their tone changes when they see the footage and the quality! :happy:

0wGhdJo.jpg

Apologies for glare. You can just about make it out but looks like part of the mirror and sensors really if not looking for it. The Mrs doesn't notice it at all.

From drivers seat; barely visible.

CYZ357e.jpg

Better view from below;

FnmtJot.jpg

The 12v adaptor in my hidey hole. I use this for charging phones too.

uUDHq5G.jpg

• Like 2

Here are some pics as promised. Finished install tonight, took about 45 minutes. Cost of camera was £65 off amazon plus a couple of quid each for the socket and piggy back fuse holder.

8u9ehasa.jpg

Excuse the wiring, final tidy up needed. And a couple from outside

5usaqujy.jpg

u8e6uze9.jpg

Just in case people are looking for earth here is what I did.

uzahutyb.jpg

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I do like the look of the mobius ones as they look nice and small and discrete but all that is ruined by the massive mounts for them

True they're not exactly small but mine has gripped nicely to the black bit which I've seen people say to avoid. Plus you need it low enough for the cam to see past it too. There is an alternative mount that is more pearmanent as it has some double-sided tape on but I wanted to have the option to remove mine easily without mess if required.

Even with the bulk of the mount its tough to spot it.

How is everyone sorting power out??

I did mine with a piggy back fuse and additional 12v socket, both off ebay for less than a fiver each including delivery.  Earthed to one of the bulkhead bolts near the fusebox (see my pics on previous page).  I used fuse 47 I think (rear wiper) which is a switched live.  Simples.

I noticed your all fitting your camera's quite low down on the windscreen, is this so you can't see it whilst driving?

for me, no. I put it under the sensor and behind the rearview mirror so that it is central in the screen (therefore central view of the road) but it also doesnt hamper my view either.

• Like 1

for me, no. I put it under the sensor and behind the rearview mirror so that it is central in the screen (therefore central view of the road) but it also doesnt hamper my view either.

Ah i see, I currently have a Mini 0801 which i have fitted to the very top most of my screen on my current car, and i can see the bonnet which i think is all you need, also makes it harder to see externally, think ill try keep it up high again when my octy arrives.

If you look on the pictures from the first post from the link above you can see behind the black honeycomb section is part of the alloy support for the dash. Obviously this is for the mk2 but with the fuse box on the near side on the mk3, then if you don't need the extra Cigarette/USB socket then the twin adapter will fit between the honeycomb and the alloy and then there is no need to lead the wire all the way to the glovebox on the drivers side.

I've mounted my camera on the rear view mirror support using a 3mm self taping screw and taking apart the camera mount to its bare minimum. The wire then runs directly onto the head lining and then down the near side A pillar. The adapter is then piggybacked onto the rear wiper by cutting off the power end of the adapter and replacing it with the piggyback fuse and then the twin adapter dropped between the honeycomb and the alloy dash as described above, the the cigarette/ power end of the camera then fits into the adapter.

Will try and post photos of unit in place. This is the unit I have both in my mk3 and the wife's mk2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HAMSWAN-DVR207GS-Vehicle-1080X1440P-G-Sensor/dp/B00IR75D3C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1397687774&sr=8-7&keywords=dvr+027

Edited by banksie

I had one in my Mitsubishi Evo X as I had a suspicion my car was being used by the mechanics to live out their fantastics. I installed it after the discrepancies with the mileage from that it was when I dropped it off to when I picked up the first time it was serviced at the dealership. The next time it went in I had installed a Roadhawk HD camera behind the rear view mirror. Unless you looked for it you wouldn't see it.

On collecting the vehicle I noticed again the mileage was higher than it should so raised it as an issue with the dealership general manager and said that I would download the footage as he didn't believe me. Not only did I identify that the vehicle had been taken on a 25 mile jolly the speed of the vehicle hit triple figures 4 minutes after it left the dealership with the mechanic onboard.

The footage looked similar to the video linked to this post. I felt sick when i saw it as I had never driven the car that hard.

All the way up to the point where I showed the General Manager and the Service Manager the footage they denied the vehicle being taken more than 5 miles on the test run.

On showing them the video I explained that I wouldn't be paying for the service they had just completed on the car and would be reporting the matter to Mitsubishi UK. As a result of the video the mechanic who had taken my car out lost his job and quite rightly I didn't have to pay for the service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjBaEILiQM

My plan is to fit it to my new VRS when it arrives front and rear.

• Like 4

A friend of mine also had a camera fitted to his car which was modded. A very similar thing happened to him with the garage taking the ****. Similar result (tho just punished I think not fired but they weren't doing 3 figure speeds). I will def be turning the sound off on mine before it goes in for a service lol

One other thing I noticed is if you use the rear wiper piggy back fuse, when the start/stop cuts in you lose power to the camera.  Doesn't really bother me as mine has battery backup but when the engine cuts back in it resets my camera!

• 3 weeks later...

loadswine is that stuck/glued? The VRS appears to have a different rear view mirror mount to the Elegance

Here is my Mobius using a suction mount. Just about fits between the mirror and sun visor.

tpost-29673-0-05085100-1399738819_thumb.jpgpost-29673-0-17601600-1399738835_thumb.jpg