Mongrel badly misfiring post quarter mile racing

Here's a rough video....  Any idea?  Car at low revs is misfiring/bucking like no ones business.  I could only drive it keeping revs above 2500rpm.  :(  I will try and get a better video tomorrow.  I am fearing a broken injector, or worse potentially a failed camshaft.

It's SHAKING the whole car (when trying to use low revs and a bit of juice)

The journey home was actually OK, but I bailed out of doing more drag runs when I noted one run went to 3.0 bar boost :o and I felt a slight misfire at the top end of 4th gear.

I think what finished it off was me deciding to blat up a dual carriageway about 6 miles from home as once I got to the top I could feel the misfire developing real quick and within 2 miles I was fighting the car home.

The car has been / was smoking slightly on tickover - a sort of bluey but more grey haze/wisps - I had been wondering if a bit too much fuel was being injected by one unit and wasn't all being combusted properly....

The sad thing is, I think this writes off my chances of doing the Combe sessions....

I doubt it, you've got two weeks yet and anything injector/headgasket etc... is easily fixable in that time.

Get cracking. :)

Can't have you turning the power up to 11, breaking it first time out and then not taking part at Combe.

If you need anything off the ones I'm breaking, let me know.

• Like 2

Rods are forged so not concerned about them. As the misfire is much worse under low load at low revs than at tickover or low load at higher revs, I'm thinking loom first culprit. It's the only weak consumable part in the injection system.

Rods are forged so not concerned about them. As the misfire is much worse under low load at low revs than at tickover or low load at higher revs, I'm thinking loom first culprit. It's the only weak consumable part in the injection system.

Ive seen forged rods fail just the same as cast especially when subjected to massive over boost.

i have seen cast conrods but they are rare, stuff like chainsaws have them, the overwhelming majority of oem connecting rods in cars are forged, you can tell a forged rod by the wide parting line on the sides where the flash has been squeezed out from between the forging dies during  manufacure, some rods in low stress applications are sintered instead ( its basically powdered metal that has been squashed) a sintered rod will normally have a fracture split at the big end rather than machined flat surfaces..

anyway enough about all that, come on jason get the spanners out and fix it