V-power fuel... Not all that?

So after looking at reveiws and people with modded cars saying it's better ect, I thought I'd give it a try, only put half a tank in but I think that will be the last I put in.

The car was running great pulling really well just coming to the final stages with a faboka map when I tried v power, now the car feels abit slower, and different through the rev range also have a strange noise coming from the engine at 3.5k like it's struggling and to top it off my mpg was down to 36mpg on the motorway.

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with it? My friend seems to think that maybe it was too clean and unclogged the engine? Maybe he's right?

Pointless putting half a tank in then trying to compare it to normal diesel,

Maybe after 3 tank fills you might have grounds to compare but at moment it will have just been watered down with whatevers left in tank and fuel system,

Carn't really say much obout vpower diesel as ive never used it but the petrol version certainly makes a differance in my modified octy VRS and i wouldn't run it on anything else

Would a lot of excess smoke coming out the back mean it's cleaning the engine? I put my foot down in 5th got to 3k and I could barley see out the back, now it smokes very little to what it used to.

Mine borks dowb on asda fuel si dosnt like that

shell normal runs good

shell v power maybe less smoke (maybe?)

But when I use vpower I get better mpg althoguh prefer isnt that noticable

pluss double shell points

I've used Shell V-Power for the last 10 or so fill ups and I think it's loads better than supermarket fuel. It's less smokey and I'm getting better mpg.

Ask anyone who was at Awesome last weekend and they will tell you how little it smoked. Also Awesome said they could tell when a car has premium fuel in when on the Rolling Road.

Plus for only an extra £2 per 40lts, petrol being £1.389 and diesel being £1.439, I can't see why anyone wouldn't pay the extra for peace of mind.

• Like 1

I've used Shell V-Power for the last 10 or so fill ups and I think it's loads better than supermarket fuel. It's less smokey and I'm getting better mpg.

Ask anyone who was at Awesome last weekend and they will tell you how little it smoked. Also Awesome said they could tell when a car has premium fuel in when on the Rolling Road.

Plus for only an extra £2 per 40lts, petrol being £1.389 and diesel being £1.439, I can't see why anyone wouldn't pay the extra for peace of mind.

As it stands I wouldn't pay the extra as I'm not impressed with the outcome and not willing to carry on with the problems it's causing.

As it stands I wouldn't pay the extra as I'm not impressed with the outcome and not willing to carry on with the problems it's causing.

Let's be honest, what were you expecting from half a tanks worth lol. What fuel was already in the tank when you put your half tank in?

I've read you need minimum of 2 full tanks to see the difference.

If you don't want to use it that's upto you. But like I said above I can't see why £2 on a full tank (£1 extra for your half tank) people don't use it more.

Not to have problems.. Go to a fuel station buy some fuel expect it to atleast be the same as what it used to be, not be slower/feel sluggish and effect mpg by 10+mpg.

I can vouch for matth 's comments. I was there and thay said a car on the rollers with v power pulls stronger for longer. I fill up with nothing else. Plus with a points card it works out not much difference in price at all

You mean Fuel save diesel Paul?

If your not happy with your experience then I understand.

My only advice would be to fill the tank with V-Power and run two tanks and then see how you feel. For the sake of £4 (£2 per tank) it's got to be worth giving it a proper chance, and you will be able to make a better comparison.

This should give it enough time to have an effect on the parts and any issues concerned with mixing fuels. It will also be better for the car to learn new values needed for the higher octane.

• Like 1

It's like people going on a diet and weighing themselves after the first day expecting hige weight loss.

This reminds me of people who try and calculate mpg based on putting £10 in and seeing how far they get before the light comes on then comparing it to doing the same last month when prices were different etc. I ran normal Shell with millers for years or VPower when I ran out of millers but I logged results over a minimum of 3 tanks as a short fill or vented fill would then be averaged rather than give skewed results in isolation.

Given PD's tend to get on well with VPower have you considered that it could be something other than the fuel?

I personally find BP fuel better than shell. Car just seems to run smoother. Must be the added nectar points making the difference to performance! Lol :-)

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Ive been putting normal shell in mine recently and its smoked a bit more, brother has 140bhp 16v golf disel and started using Vpower and noticed better mpg and less smoke, might have to follow him and go back to vpower

I personally find BP fuel better than shell. Car just seems to run smoother. Must be the added nectar points making the difference to performance! Lol :-)

I use Esso ordinary UL in my S4 and get just under 30MPG, but I do get Tesco points, so effectively I probably just hit or get more that 30MPG - especially with double points until some time in June!!

Seriously though, I don't think that VPower Nitro Derv has higher "octane" level or even "cetane" level, just lots more cleaners etc, I have been using VPower UL+ in wife's 1.4 75PS Polo, and it likes it - quite a lot! No improvement in MPG but better drivability, ie torque - but unfortunately, I've never noticed any Nectar points being offered, maybe I need to look into that!

I've been using v power almost exclusively for the last 6 months, with the odd tank of BP Ultimate.

I don't use it for extra performance but rather future reliability. I figure for a few quid extra might as well do what I can for the engine.

I'm no expert in fuel but I really don't think the different batches are allowed to be so different from each other that v power could cause damage or poor running.

Car seems to like it but it's not turned the 1.9 diesel lump into a v8, and neither should it,

I use Esso ordinary UL in my S4 and get just under 30MPG, but I do get Tesco points, so effectively I probably just hit or get more that 30MPG - especially with double points until some time in June!!

Seriously though, I don't think that VPower Nitro Derv has higher "octane" level or even "cetane" level, just lots more cleaners etc, I have been using VPower UL+ in wife's 1.4 75PS Polo, and it likes it - quite a lot! No improvement in MPG but better drivability, ie torque - but unfortunately, I've never noticed any Nectar points being offered, maybe I need to look into that!

No nectar points on shell fuel unfortunately mate, only BP. Shell drivers club points on shell fuel.

I used normal unleaded in my 1.4 16v and it was gutless it couldn't climb hills anywhere no matter what the gradient was..I changed to nitro (v power) and over the past 6 months I've noticed smoother acceleration better mpg and reduced wear on the engine

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

5th gear did a test on various fuels and v power did deliver an improved bhp output - I reckon it does help keep things clean as well - as has been said there is not much point in using it occasionally as the ecu takes time to "read" it - I definitely get more smooth delivery and improved mpg - but everyone to their own.

I always use it in the vrs and always put the petrol version in my boxster s ( higher octane is recommended )