Air filter

Hyphons

I've never understood how an air filter could improve performance. Surely you'd need to update the entire intake side of the engine to make a difference, which would cost thousands....

you can get more air flow in, and less dust because the filter is better at stopping the dirt but also allowing air flow at the same time.

basically it has more expensive elements doing a better job, but costs more so not fitted by manafacturers in order to keep cost down.

you can get more air flow in, and less dust because the filter is better at stopping the dirt but also allowing air flow at the same time.

basically it has more expensive elements doing a better job, but costs more so not fitted by manafacturers in order to keep cost down.

Absolute rubbish

can you expand? an air filters job is to clean air. and ideally not restrict it. how is it rubbish some products do a better job?

you can get more air flow in...

I doubt that the airflow through the oem filter and a k and n one will be any different.

The limiting part of the engine will probably be the inlet valves / ports. So you'll need bigger valves and ports and more cam lift / duration to get more air in.

I doubt that the airflow through the oem filter and a k and n one will be any different.

The limiting part of the engine will probably be the inlet valves / ports. So you'll need bigger valves and ports and more cam lift / duration to get more air in.

I agree,

as there is no turbo there is little you can do to increase airflow / volume, the only way you could increase airflow is reduce the restriction of the air in the filter which is either increase the surface area or put larger holes in the filter which will reduce the filtration of the air

and even if you increase the airflow it depends if the ECU can put additional fuel in to maintain the correct mixture to take advantage of it

exactly and i still reckon that the inlet port is the limiting factor.

You could spend  10 grand and put a new inlet manifold on, a new head with bigger valves and a new cam and map and get yourself 100bhp but it would probably be at  about 7500rpm with no midrange!

Failing that tak the citigo for a spin down a twisty country lane and revel in the handling and how much speed you can carry through corners.

• Like 3

No denying that last reply, the citigo can handle it's corners well and even when it under steers, simply let the steering wheel go and all will correct itself

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Loeb and all the other top drivers do! :doh:

Edited by JimmyR
  • Like 2

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Read this fully perhaps you might understand a little of how an engine works.

Having ripped apart a mustang 7.5 Litre V8 recently, build my own manifold and exhaust to fit, upgraded it from 600bhp to 800 bhp, and strapped on a supercharger and a turbo in the process...

Before tearing off the front of a ford focus and fitting the whole thing in whilst converting it to rear wheel drive...

I am so glad you posted that link, and convinced me I could learn a little of how an engine works.

Because clearly I must be doing it all wrong.

PS, that was sarcasm. just in case you missed it.

There ARE different papers for air filters that restrict air less, but maintain the same dust reduction. Whether they benefit any car let alone a citigo wasn't what I was trying to point out. You CAN fit a K&N to a citigo, which will aid air flow, and it might make a mild change in response sensation, and might reduce wear, but won't give much power improvement.

Hypons, it's easy to remove the air box to replace the filter, simply pull it up off the mountings (take note of where they are for easy refitting), remove the breather pipe & give it a wiggle until you get it out. Then you can open it up to replace the air filter, with a cone filter it does sound good with a slightly better throttle response but, no noticeable power increase.

They covered it on the VW Up! forums where I first found the guide - I thought you had to remove the trim around the windscreen as well!

• Like 2

and proof air filter on its own makes no difference

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/315017-sports-air-filters/?p=3772225

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:34

I ve replaced my air filter with a cai. Removed the air box, used an aluminium adapter and a simota filter.
Sounds a lot sportier, but butt dyno says no difference. A tune is what will give u more power. Cai will add some nice sound.
  • Like 1

Having ripped apart a mustang 7.5 Litre V8 recently, build my own manifold and exhaust to fit, upgraded it from 600bhp to 800 bhp, and strapped on a supercharger and a turbo in the process...

Before tearing off the front of a ford focus and fitting the whole thing in whilst converting it to rear wheel drive...

I am so glad you posted that link, and convinced me I could learn a little of how an engine works.

Because clearly I must be doing it all wrong.

PS, that was sarcasm. just in case you missed it.

There ARE different papers for air filters that restrict air less, but maintain the same dust reduction. Whether they benefit any car let alone a citigo wasn't what I was trying to point out. You CAN fit a K&N to a citigo, which will aid air flow, and it might make a mild change in response sensation, and might reduce wear, but won't give much power improvement.

Bull

Edited by damo
swearing removed

• 1 year later...

I've been looking at getting a air filter, not for performance more for the sound. Just wondering if anyone knows which ones better or is there even a deference, between the likes of the K&N or the ramair and any others.

I've been looking at getting a air filter, not for performance more for the sound. Just wondering if anyone knows which ones better or is there even a deference, between the likes of the K&N or the ramair and any others.

Don't bother, I have a K&N filter, makes no difference