ROAD TAX (VED) SHOCKER !

Hi guys

Just got my VED reminder through.  ATD PD engined Furby 1.9 comfort 12 months ....... £230. Wallop !!!

After quick search I have found  the CO2s are 135g/Km.   I call the DVLA to reminstrate, I am told because my car was registered before 1 March 2001 the rate is calculated on the old system of engine size, I state to the DVLA that this exact variant was manufactured upto 2003 They could not give me a satisfactory answer  just repeating the pre March the 1st waffle.

Incredable as it sounds had this vehicle sat in the showroom for just another 5 weeks its VED would now be only £130.00.

Has any body ever had any joy with the DVLA in getting their VED band adjusted?

Ouch. That's more than my Octavia with DSG gearbox. That does leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to anything about it.

Unfortunately your car was registered before 1st March 2001 so it falls into the old tax bracket.

Phil

It is the correct tax band for when the car was registered. Just because the model was sold during the crossover doesn't change that. Its the same with the cap in 2006 too. That makes an even bigger difference to owners of powerful cars.

Painfull, my S4 is £475 - or so - very very painfull!  If it had been fitted with a slush box it would have been a lot cheaper to tax, but not as much fun to drive.

Edited by rum4mo

You cannot get band adjusted.  I was lucky and (deliberately) aimed for a post march 01 car.  I think mine is a late march 2001 car so mine is 125/130 a year.

It's a shame, but there is little you can do about is as there needs to be a cut-off applied regardless of it being the same car / same engine / same CO2 etc.

OK Chaps

Well looks like I have no option other than to cough up.  Robbing bar stewards.  

I wish that I had known about the March cut off before buying in Jan.this year ....OMG spends to date ..... £500 buy.  £235.  MOT/ Belt/ W-Pump and Rear spring  / £230 VED / £90 oil filter 2 tyres and finally £60 s/h screen fitted.  jeepers this is fast becoming an expensive budget car

previous cars  S110R 2x estelle 1 rapid 2x Octavia and 1 Mk11 Octy dsg now in a banger furby

Edited by Steamfan

Hi guys

Just got my VED reminder through.  ATD PD engined Furby 1.9 comfort 12 months ....... £230. Wallop !!!

Did you not check this before purchase?  Oops :p

Old car was 1g of co2 over being free of VED, the figure was calculated on the top model with 20bhp extra, ac, full options list etc. My car was the light version with everything stripped. The clue is to always look at the disc before you buy sadly :(

Sell it and get another one in the lower tax band. Yeah it may cost you in the short term but you'll make that back with the reduction in tax. Obviously you may not save that much if you don't keep the car for a few years, but I would do it as a matter of principle.

Charging £100 more per for the same car that happens to be registered a few weeks before, to me is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by theezenutz

Sell it and get another one in the lower tax band. Yeah it may cost you in the short term but you'll make that back with the reduction in tax. Obviously you may not save that much if you don't keep the car for a few years, but I would do it as a matter of principle.

Charging £100 more per for the same car that happens to be registered a few weeks before, to me is absolutely ridiculous.

Its the way it always has been since the change came in after the budget in 2000. A line must be drawn somewhere, so it was set at the change of registration. Prior to this date a lot of manufacturers did not bother testing the CO levels, a lot of V5s have N/A where we now have CO printed.

There was another change in 2006, where the opposite happened. Take my Audi for example, if it was registered in 2006 it would be £400+ to get 12 months tax but because its a 2004 the exact same version costs just £280 for 12 months.

You're seriously suggesting selling a car and buying another to avoid a change that was made 14 years ago in order to save £100 a year? It's £8.33 a month extra or 27.3p a day, while not ideal, if the car is mechanically sound then i'd not get that excited. You could easily get one that needs tyres or a cam belt due etc.

• Like 2

Well, he is nutz...

Thats not needed really I never insulted you or even mentioned you. In light of recent threads let's keep it civil or say nothing. 

Edited by theezenutz

You're seriously suggesting selling a car and buying another to avoid a change that was made 14 years ago in order to save £100 a year? It's £8.33 a month extra or 27.3p a day, while not ideal, if the car is mechanically sound then i'd not get that excited. You could easily get one that needs tyres or a cam belt due etc.

Absolutely, I'm not saying you have to do it or agree with it I would do it out of principle not really for the money. It's only a cheap car so it's not like he'd be losing a lot. But that's just me.

When I had my mondeo st200 it was on a w plate so 2000, can't remember how much the tax was but a st200 on a y plate was double and that was the same car and engine etc but just registered 2001. Sure they just make it up as they go along a lot of the time

Its the way it always has been since the change came in after the budget in 2000. A line must be drawn somewhere, so it was set at the change of registration. Prior to this date a lot of manufacturers did not bother testing the CO levels, a lot of V5s have N/A where we now have CO printed.

There was another change in 2006, where the opposite happened. Take my Audi for example, if it was registered in 2006 it would be £400+ to get 12 months tax but because its a 2004 the exact same version costs just £280 for 12 months.

Wow, i sort of understand there has to be a way of organizing the tax code system , but maybe the way they have structured it needs another look. To make a car £100 more expensive purely related to age rather than factoring the other criteria they use on the very same car and engine, it just don't seem like they put much thought into it.

pretty sure that was a light hearted reference to your username

Yes it was and has now been clarified between us. No harm done.

Edited by theezenutz
  • Like 1

Guys ye don't know how cheap ye have it. My 04 vrs costs 675 euro a year to tax.. roughly £550 and that's if you pay it all at once. 200 euro every 3 months so roughly £650 a year that way