Yay. Ordered a elegance after a years break from Skoda

Hello

Placed an order for a new elegance 2 litre diesel today in race blue. Used to have an 05 plate one until last year when we decided to swap to a Nissan Qashqai. We missed the Octy so much that we have decided to come back to Skoda.

Should be with us in around 3 weeks. Can't wait until it arrives. Love all the new gadgets. Only slight downside is because it was built to someone else's spec it has a few extras we didn't really want. But we seem to have a good deal on it so that makes up for it. One of them being the golus alloys. We have 18 inch ones on the qashqai at the moment so hopefully the ride will be ok with them. Haven't really found much of a review from peeps who have them.

It's nice to be back and I hope you don't mind me asking loads of questions!

3 Weeks!!! You should be ecstatic! I love those 18 inch wheels on the Qashqai though.............

I miss my Octy Elegance :wonder: . Welcome back to the fold....

Chip

Have a 2.0 Elegance manual estate as it came bar a spare wheel, white as well as I begrudged paying 500-odd quid for sparkly paint!

Its my third Skoda in recent years (having had an 11 plate Fabia vRS estate and 62 plate MK2 vRS Blackline DSG estate previously from new) and have to say its the best of the lot.

Far from an exciting car (as a compromise family car/warm hatch the vRS is really the one to have) and I do wonder whether longer term that'll be what kills my relationship with it but on the flip side I rather like that about it.

Its pretty well built (id argue its still not quite up there with the equivalent Mk7 Golf or A3...but then when you pay several k less for something beggars cant be choosers!), light, frugal, loaded wiyh standard kit and for a 150hp diesel car pretty bloody quick in a straight line.

Doesnt handle fantastically well but the flip side of the standard suspension is that the ride is very good. Even the manual gearbox is v nice.

Key thing is its so non descript; after a year of being goaded and tailgated by other road users in my fairly lairy white bodied and black wheeled Blackline (that looked the performance hatch but in reality was slower than my Mk3) I now get left well alone and no one pays it a great deal of attention at all.....its also quite amusing that no one has any idea from looking that its a reasonably quick 2.0 diesel and it has surprised the odd couple of dickheads who think its just some slow white econobox/taxi that they can undertake/carve up at a moments notice.

Due to a change in circumstances I may end up getting rid in due course and moving back to a company car; shame as Ive only had it 3 months and do really like it as a dot-it-all motor....for me it still generally makes more sense than a vRS TDI, an overall less specified and more expensive car thats barely any quicker real world.

• Like 4

Ordering my Octi Elegance 2.0 in Race Blue tomorrow. Can't wait, I was offered the car, you've taken by the dealer I'll be going to. I turned them down as I didn't want to compromise on the options front as I wanted Race Blue with the Winter Pack and nothing more, as the toys you get already are awesome. My first Skoda so here's hoping it will be a nice experience.

• Like 1

Ordering my Octi Elegance 2.0 in Race Blue tomorrow. Can't wait, I was offered the car, you've taken by the dealer I'll be going to. I turned them down as I didn't want to compromise on the options front as I wanted Race Blue with the Winter Pack and nothing more, as the toys you get already are awesome. My first Skoda so here's hoping it will be a nice experience.

So you have ordered yours to be built from scratch? What lead time have they given you?

Always nice to read about a former owner who has 'come back home', enjoy her when she arrives...

Doesnt handle fantastically well but the flip side of the standard suspension is that the ride is very good.

Crikey, can tell youve come from a vRS.

My experience of the Elegance (normal setup) is it handles pretty well, but the flip side is its got quite a harsh ride at times.

Good choice, well made, sad for you that you've gone the agricultural route on the engine front but, you guys probably do more miles than me.

Enjoy your cars.

The diesels are fine engines. Especially the 2.0

Once you get to about 30mph, you can hardly tell theres an engine there. OK the petrol may be slightly quieter at speed, but cant be that much.

Me myself, I love the sound of the diesel. Put your foot down, and hear that lovely grumble! It actually sounds like a proper engine, which lets be fair, the petrol doesnt.

• Like 1

So you have ordered yours to be built from scratch? What lead time have they given you?

Mid July expected, but end of it is what was quoted.

Good choice, well made, sad for you that you've gone the agricultural route on the engine front but, you guys probably do more miles than me.

Enjoy your cars.

Compared to the Vauxhall Insignia and Astra CDTi's I've driven, the engine in the Octavia is near silent by comparison. My neighbour has an Insignia and when he fires it up at 5am never fails to wake me up. Plus the mileage makes the diesel worth it. I've never really understood the diesel hate, it's no longer 1992.

Mid July expected, but end of it is what was quoted.

Compared to the Vauxhall Insignia and Astra CDTi's I've driven, the engine in the Octavia is near silent by comparison. My neighbour has an Insignia and when he fires it up at 5am never fails to wake me up. Plus the mileage makes the diesel worth it. I've never really understood the diesel hate, it's no longer 1992.

Engines are meant to be noisy. Cant beat an old diesel

Crikey, can tell youve come from a vRS.

My experience of the Elegance (normal setup) is it handles pretty well, but the flip side is its got quite a harsh ride at times.

Yes if there is one thing the Mk2 vRS did much better by comparison it was that it really handled.

Sure in typical diesel sense it was a bit nose heavy and did torque steer and understeer if pushed (car was supposed to have XDS but it didnt cure the understeer at all) but having the same basic chassis components as a Mk6 GTi it drove lovely, just wasnt particularly quick and didnt ride v well.

The 170 CR engine mated to DSG was a bit of a sack of **** though; if I learnt anything from that ownership experience it would be only go DSG with a petrol engine.

Edited by pipsyp

Me myself, I love the sound of the diesel. Put your foot down, and hear that lovely grumble! It actually sounds like a proper engine, which lets be fair, the petrol doesnt.

Exactly, grumble + tourqe = win! (especially if you drive large car)

Exactly, grumble + tourqe = win! (especially if you drive large car)

The diesel does pull the Octy along with zero fuss. You dont realise how big the car is. No need to rev it at all. Lovely engines

Ordered 1.6 tdi elegance today with winter pack, spare wheel and metallic paint should have it in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Congrats. Already built I assume?

Yes thankfully

Cool. The waiting is the hard part. Even thought it's built. Was hoping for the end of the month for mine. Fingers crossed.

Good Evening All,

Just signed uo to ask you guys some questions hope you dont mind,

I am down sizing from a Ford Kuga as I have downsized my caravan that I tow so been seriously concidering a Skoda and struggling between the Superb or Octavis III in diesel form and what engine to go for either the 1.6 or 2.0.

Obviously the Octavia III has the new platfotm and is lighter and combined with a 1.6 engine can offer zero tax rate also the new octavia seems comparable size wise without being over large to the Superb.

I have a few questions about Octavia III

Do they all come with the folding front passenger seat to accomodate long loads ?

Do you only get a space saver wheel ? will cradle or is wheel in boot, accomodate full size spare wheel essential for caravanning .

After the Ford I would like the heated front screen which is is a real bonus in the winter, but understand this is combined with winter pack heated seats and headlamp wash ? is this available across the whole range ? I am concidering either SE or Exclusive probably SE as prefer 16" wheels not low profile for towing ,

I hope to pick up a low mileage demo or similar and have seen some attractive prices as combared to similar Passats or Audi's I would be interested if people could comment on merits of 2.0 over 1.6 diesel engine as well as towing there will be plenty of reasonable distance motorway travel not much town commuting as have a small city cars C1 for that.

Any recommendations for Skoda Bearwood seem to have reasonable stock of cars ??

Thanks in advance

Zeberdy

Edited by zeberdy

Good Evening All,

Just signed uo to ask you guys some questions hope you dont mind,

I am down sizing from a Ford Kuga as I have downsized my caravan that I tow so been seriously concidering a Skoda and struggling between the Superb or Octavis III in diesel form and what engine to go for either the 1.6 or 2.0.

Obviously the Octavia III has the new platfotm and is lighter and combined with a 1.6 engine can offer zero tax rate also the new octavia seems comparable size wise without being over large to the Superb.

I have a few questions about Octavia III

Do they all come with the folding front passenger seat to accomodate long loads ?

Do you only get a space saver wheel ? will cradle or is wheel in boot, accomodate full size spare wheel essential for caravanning .

After the Ford I would like the heated front screen which is is a real bonus in the winter, but understand this is combined with winter pack heated seats and headlamp wash ? is this available across the whole range ? I am concidering either SE or Exclusive probably SE as prefer 16" wheels not low profile for towing ,

I hope to pick up a low mileage demo or similar and have seen some attractive prices as combared to similar Passats or Audi's I would be interested if people could comment on merits of 2.0 over 1.6 diesel engine as well as towing there will be plenty of reasonable distance motorway travel not much town commuting as have a small city cars C1 for that.

Any recommendations for Skoda Bearwood seem to have reasonable stock of cars ??

Thanks in advance

Zeberdy

Zeberdy,

I moved from a 1.6TDI MkII to a 2.0 TDI MKIII and I have to say the 2.0 unit is fantastic. Pulls really well right through the gears and rev range. I am achieving identical MPG figures to the old 1.6TDI (55mpg) so my running costs have not really increased moving up to the bigger engine. Whilst I have no experience pulling caravans I would say go for the 2.0TDI. Road tax on the 2 litre is only £20 p/a

You can select a full size spare wheel as an option on the SE with the 16 inch alloys. Heated front screen can be added separately although I went for the full winter pack. At the time I ordered in Oct 2013 the heated front screen was £200 on its own

Can you spec a heated front screen on the 1.6 diesel?

Also, the fold flat front seat is standard on Estates from SE trim upwards.

For towing I would go with the 2.0 diesel. The 1.6 is a great engine, but what weight is your van?

Can you spec a heated front screen on the 1.6 diesel?

Also, the fold flat front seat is standard on Estates from SE trim upwards.

For towing I would go with the 2.0 diesel. The 1.6 is a great engine, but what weight is your van?

Yep, you can spec it on any model as part of the winter pack. I'm not sure if the MY15 means you can split the heated screen out of the pack or not now. Mine will have it for the middle of night trips to and from work in the winter where it will be a godsend and my colleagues have to sit in the cold removing the ice.

#Tigermad, sounds like you have ordered a replica of my car....is yours hatch or estate? If hatch, you probably won't be in the stealth L&K chrome window trim club! :rofl:. Regarding the ride, I find the standard suspension on 18" a little hard on uneven or poorly maintained roads but fine on the motorway. As many on here have debated, the rear torsion beam setup is probably more influential on this than the 18" wheels.

• Like 1