Windows open vs. AC

Hyphons

So it's that time of year where the sun is starting to shine but what uses more fuel, having your windows open thus disrupting air flow or having the AC on? And will wind deflectors help to stop a brake in the air flow, thought it'd be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this (Bare in mind I've only been driving solo for just over a year so I'm still new to all this driving stuff)

Windows open one minute or so after start. Then windows closed and AC on. Actually AC on all the time. When the time comes that I have to worry how much AC consumes fuel, I would sell the car.  ;)

Keeping in mind that AC works longer if you use it often, if not all the time.

Air con always - but I do suffer from hay fever.

Should you mix some heat to incoming air? Citigo doesn't do it automatically, so it's left for the driver to do.

Windows open below 40mph air con on over 40mph

This works for better economy. I was quite happy with the A\C yesterday during a dual carriageway lesson. Had to mix in some warm air so it wasn't too cold after 30 minutes.

• Like 1

This works for better economy. I was quite happy with the A\C yesterday during a dual carriageway lesson. Had to mix in some warm air so it wasn't too cold after 30 minutes.

this seems like the best thing to do :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

all depends on the air temp outside

windows open to help get rid of the really hot air where the sun has cooked the car in the sun but have the aircon on to start to cool down the matrix then once you can feel the cool air from the aircon shut the windows

seem to work for me

Air con on all the time and window open slightly for about the first 1/2 mile just to help expell the warm air when it's like a greenhouse in there.

I used to think or was lead to believe air con uses more fuel, like what has been said above, it doesn't worry me with this car or infact any other car now. It must be  a miniscule amount.

I have driven some small engined Jap/Korean motors in Cyprus where if you turn the air con off the performance on the engine increases by a significant amount i.e they will actually go up the hills. I haven't got air con in my Citigo but I'm hoping for an Up with air con when I go to Cyprus shortly so I'll report back on the effect. 

Usually AC is turned off automatically when you push pedal to the floor. It's kind of safety feature when you have to overtake. I'm pretty sure Citigo do the same.

I have driven some small engined Jap/Korean motors in Cyprus where if you turn the air con off the performance on the engine increases by a significant amount i.e they will actually go up the hills. I haven't got air con in my Citigo but I'm hoping for an Up with air con when I go to Cyprus shortly so I'll report back on the effect. 

In mine, if I switch the air conditioning on while in 1st or 2nd gear, there's a small blip of "engine" braking as it starts up. Other than that, and a small increase in engine noise at lower revs, I've not noticed any performance loss.

Is the CitiGo's air conditioner pump run off the electrics or the accessory belt?

Edited by ettlz

In mine, if I switch the air conditioning on while in 1st or 2nd gear, there's a small blip of "engine" braking as it starts up. Other than that, and a small increase in engine noise at lower revs, I've not noticed any performance loss.

Is the CitiGo's air conditioner pump run off the electrics or the accessory belt?

I believe it's driven off the engine by belt.

In all VAG cars they disengage the A/C at high engine loads/speeds.

Phil

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd read that in testing 30mph was the "changeover point" where it was better to switch from A/C to windows, but I think that was on a 1990's Peugeot.  Aerodynamics are a little different now!  Likewise I understand the A/C systems are also more efficient, so probably little change in the speed needed.

I'm not a fan of A/C personally - only use it to get rid of the initial heat then keep the windows open an inch or two, dependant on speed and temperature.  Makes me drowsy so instead to buying a coffee at alternative motorway services, I'll lose the 3mpg..

• Like 1

Does anyone find their engine "growls" a briefly if you switch on the air conditioning just after starting up?

Not noticed this, mine only tends to growl when an Up! drives paat :giggle:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

im not over impressed with the air con, it doesnt get me that cool on a very hot day. fans on 3 or 4 as well. Ive had cars where the aircon can give you goosebumps...

• Like 1