Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

They say that. 

There are Stamped Numbers from the Production Line, because Engines and Components travel World Wide and require unique identification.

For the Manufacturers Safety as well as the Customers, 

& Government Agencies require such.

anyway, the Replacement Engine Travelled with the Bar Code Stickers, and a VIN.

Now they say at Dealers they 'Stamped New Numbers'   It is a Like for Like Engine,  no need to tell the DVLA.

So if you are interested maybe Search the ' VIN Number Replacement Engine' threads in this section, there are at least 3.

Or just ask Skoda UK Customer Services if the Engine Travelled without a Unique Engine Number,

& how the Old Number from the V5 / VIN is now on the New Engine, who stamped it and are there new Stickers to put in the Boot.

?

Down the Line if there is the Car is ever Stolen, Broken, stopped by VOSA / Police or what ever, 

how do they know the Engine was legit?

• 4 months later...

Oh aye I forgot about that............................I'll see what I can do

Stirling MG,

Thought as it's a few months on now, since your mother had the new engine installed, that it would be good to get up to speed and hear your up to date experience of living with the Fabia vRS MK2 and its NEW MOTOR.

It is interesting to note, that Sittingbull and his wife, have had a positive experience with their new installation over a similar time frame.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I've had my Fabia VRS for 4 months now. It's a CHTE April 2013 registered car.

Bought from a Skoda main dealer with 1 previous owner, (elderly gent who I met at the dealership). Full Skoda history, 18,346 miles. Manufacturer warranty until April 2016 then an extended warranty until April 2018. Today, the mileage is 20,682 and I have just put the last litre of a 4 litre bottle of Castrol Edge 5w 30 oil in it.

In the 5 months I've owned the car, I've always felt it's an oil drinker and was aware of this before buying the car, but not to the point where I feel I need to get the oil consumption checked. Anyway, I called a main dealer in Epsom yesterday, Allams, and will be taking the car there on Sept 1st for the oil to be drained and refilled, mileage noted, and drive for 1000km or 621 miles. (I presume this is the test they conduct). I am aware that if the car is found to be using up to 1 litre of oil per 1242 miles, they will state this is acceptable, which will be difficult if not impossible to argue with, as this figure is documented in their handbook.  

Thinking way ahead, one thought I've had is had anyone had a remap on these cars which resulted in less oil consumption? (I'm saying this with my extensive experience of bespoke remaps which would often iron out various issues with cars, albeit usually driveability issues).

I will post exactly how I get on in the near future. Meanwhile, I am now going the check the oil level every 2 days.

Greg

Edited by Intercity125

A bit off topic,but my new Yeti 150 TDI has used no oil in it's first 1000 miles.

The previous 1.8 TSI turbo petrol used about .25 of a litre between 10,000 mile services.

Very acceptable.....

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I've had my Fabia VRS for 4 months now. It's a CHTE April 2013 registered car.

Bought from a Skoda main dealer with 1 previous owner, (elderly gent who I met at the dealership). Full Skoda history, 18,346 miles. Manufacturer warranty until April 2016 then an extended warranty until April 2018. Today, the mileage is 20,682 and I have just put the last litre of a 4 litre bottle of Castrol Edge 5w 30 oil in it.

In the 5 months I've owned the car, I've always felt it's an oil drinker and was aware of this before buying the car, but not to the point where I feel I need to get the oil consumption checked. Anyway, I called a main dealer in Epsom yesterday, Allams, and will be taking the car there on Sept 1st for the oil to be drained and refilled, mileage noted, and drive for 1000km or 621 miles. (I presume this is the test they conduct). I am aware that if the car is found to be using up to 1 litre of oil per 1242 miles, they will state this is acceptable, which will be difficult if not impossible to argue with, as this figure is documented in their handbook.  

Thinking way ahead, one thought I've had is had anyone had a remap on these cars which resulted in less oil consumption? (I'm saying this with my extensive experience of bespoke remaps which would often iron out various issues with cars, albeit usually driveability issues).

I will post exactly how I get on in the near future. Meanwhile, I am now going the check the oil level every 2 days.

Greg

Read here, and you will get some of your answers.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-litre-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues/

• Like 1

Many thanks Oz, I have read this and will follow this guidance. I will insist on a documented copy of the oil consumption test results.

By the way, I see you have Eibachs on your car, are you happy with them, do they improve traction from a quick standing start?

Thanks

Greg

For best traction in a vRS Hatch from standing starts, fit good tyres that give traction, maybe 215/40 R17,

Remove the weights fitted to the rear crash bar,

& Turn off the TC.

(If there is wheel spin detected with it turned on, then power can be cut to the engine, as well as the nipping of the brakes.)

• Like 1

For best traction in a vRS Hatch from standing starts, fit good tyres that give traction, maybe 215/40 R17,

Remove the weights fitted to the rear crash bar,

& Turn off the TC.

(If there is wheel spin detected with it turned on the power can be cut to the engine, as well as the nipping of the brakes.)

But always stay within the legal limit.lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stirling MG,

Thought as it's a few months on now, since your mother had the new engine installed, that it would be good to get up to speed and hear your up to date experience of living with the Fabia vRS MK2 and its NEW MOTOR.

It is interesting to note, that Sittingbull and his wife, have had a positive experience with their new installation over a similar time frame.

Cheers,

Keith

Very pleased to advise that today marks one year and 16,000 miles with the new engine in place, and not one drop of oil required. Car is exactly the one we hoped we had bought in the first place, and is running very well. Just booking it in for the 4 year 40,000 mile major service which my dealer is quoting me £156 to carry out, a price I'm quite content with. I will of course, given the history ours and others have had, be insisting that the service includes new spark plugs being fitted.

As a day to day runner, since the engine change, the car has been flawless. Very practical for when my wife takes our grandchildren and car seats due to 5 door providing good access, decent boot, pretty good mpg when my wife drives it, returned nigh on 47 to the gallon on 99 Ron during 150 mile round trip a couple of weekends back.

In terms of modifying the wee car, we still have one year extended warranty on the replacement engine so no chance of going anywhere near the engine in terms of remap or tuning box for at least that year and maybe not at all, car seems plenty quick enough already for our purposes. Might look at good coilovers and rarb to improve suspension and handling, but not a necessity at the moment. Just replaced front discs and pads, DSG seems to be all ok as well. Already had custom exhaust fitted so noise is good, and engine feels very strong now it's run in properly.

For some driving fun, also find it to be more than adequate and more than capable of catching a few out, in short a good one is a good practical all round car which I would recommend to others.

ps. I should have mentioned that I still check the oil levels once a week first thing in the morning when engine is stone cold, more out of habit than worry, as I say very pleased to note not a drop used.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 3

After settling down mine has started to burn oil like mad again.  I bought 5 litres in Jan this year and used 4 litres already.  I had my car serviced on the 26 Aug 15 and I've done 644 miles since then and when I checked it today it was bone dry.  Took it back to the dealers and they put 2 litres in.  Got it booked in for my 2nd oil consumption test as that's def not within their tolerence limits!  I love driving the car but the oil useage is just starting to annoy me now so it might be time to get rid of it.

After settling down mine has started to burn oil like mad again.  I bought 5 litres in Jan this year and used 4 litres already.  I had my car serviced on the 26 Aug 15 and I've done 644 miles since then and when I checked it today it was bone dry.  Took it back to the dealers and they put 2 litres in.  Got it booked in for my 2nd oil consumption test as that's def not within their tolerence limits!  I love driving the car but the oil useage is just starting to annoy me now so it might be time to get rid of it.

What reg is it, Any Manufacturer warranty remaining?

If it is over 3 years old and out of the Original Warranty, that is not too much of an issue if the car had Warranty Work Started while the Warranty was Valid.

Reported High Oil Consumption, and Official OIl Consumption Test, or even one a Dealer said was a 'Goodwill Gesture', 

A ECU Update, a replacement Breather Pipe / Valve Mod.

Anything related to the Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults that VW / Skoda knew about.

?

Was there Oil Consumption Figures in a Report that you have if you did have an Oil Consumption Test.

Just to see if they got the to be 0.3 Litres on 1000 km, so within tolerances as they often said.?

It is good to see or hear how they did the testing.

2 Briskoda Members i know of have cars in getting new engines as i post this,

just waiting to hear how they are getting on.

If it is over 3 years old and out of the Original Warranty, that is not too much of an issue if the car had Warranty Work Started while the Warranty was Valid.

Reported High Oil Consumption, and Official OIl Consumption Test, or even one a Dealer said was a 'Goodwill Gesture', 

A ECU Update, a replacement Breather Pipe / Valve Mod.

Anything related to the Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults that VW / Skoda knew about.

?

Was there Oil Consumption Figures in a Report that you have if you did have an Oil Consumption Test.

Just to see if they got the to be 0.3 Litres on 1000 km, so within tolerances as they often said.?

It is good to see or hear how they did the testing.

2 Briskoda Members i know of have cars in getting new engines as i post this,

just waiting to hear how they are getting on.

This is taken from the report I got from my oil consumption test:

Oil consumption according to Workshop Manual - 0.52 litres per 1000k

Filled oil quantity before test drive - 2350 grams

Drained oil quantity after test drive - 2145 grams

Test drive start - 5957 miles

Test drive end - 6652 miles (695 miles driven)

Calculated oil consumption 0.42 litres/1000k

I queried the weight of oil in grams as I remember you stating before that 3.6  litres was over 3000 grams but they wouldn't have it and said they were right.  I can send you a scan of the report if you want to see it?

Yes that test result was questionable.

So with 3.6 Litres in with a New Filter & 1 litre weighing 857 grams, so 3.6 X 857 = 3085.2 grams,

they only manage to drain. 2350 grams.  2.74 litres.   & put that back in,  then the test.

They get out only 2145 grams, so 205 grams,  0.24 of a litre used, or never came out. 

Then they get the figure less than 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles) 

Just the usual inaccurate test that proved nothing other than it drank oil at an unacceptable rate no matter what Skoda / VW 

might say is acceptable.

You did over 621 miles, you did 695 miles, & by the weight of oil used 0.24 litres.

So how did they actually manage to get the report saying it equated to 0.42 litre in 1000km.

Look at this one, done wrong.

where they had the oil as weighing 1000 grams a litre.

post-86161-0-68844900-1443550434_thumb.jpg

Very pleased to advise that today marks one year and 16,000 miles with the new engine in place, and not one drop of oil required. Car is exactly

the one we hoped we had bought in the first place, and is running very well. Just booking it in for the 4 year 40,000 mile major service which my dealer is quoting me £156 to carry out, a price I'm quite content with. I will of course, given the history ours and others have had, be insisting that the service includes new spark plugs being fitted.

As a day to day runner, since the engine change, the car has been flawless. Very practical for when my wife takes our grandchildren and car seats due to 5 door providing good access, decent boot, pretty good mpg when my wife drives it, returned nigh on 47 to the gallon on 99 Ron during 150 mile round trip a couple of weekends back.

In terms of modifying the wee car, we still have one year extended warranty on the replacement engine so no chance of going anywhere near the engine in terms of remap or tuning box for at least that year and maybe not at all, car seems plenty quick enough already for our purposes. Might look at good coilovers and rarb to improve suspension and handling, but not a necessity at the moment. Just replaced front discs and pads, DSG seems to be all ok as well. Already had custom exhaust fitted so noise is good, and engine feels very strong now it's run in properly.

For some driving fun, also find it to be more than adequate and more than capable of catching a few out, in short a good one is a good practical all round car which I would recommend to others.

ps. I should have mentioned that I still check the oil levels once a week first thing in the morning when engine is stone cold, more out of habit than worry, as I say very pleased to note not a drop used.

My Skoda garage charged me £250 for a service a year and 6000 mile after my new engine went in.

My Skoda garage charged me £250 for a service a year and 6000 mile after my new engine went in.

I know you're maybe not handy for Parks in Hamilton but I booked it direct via their website, runs through a few questions asking car registration and mileage, then select the dealer (which is Parks Skoda in Hamilton), then based on the mileage asks what service you need, and gives you the options. I know my last one was a minor service so to speak, it costs £77, but the 4 year 40k one is priced at £156, which I think is good value. I'll get money off that due to having Parks Platinum discount card, maybe 10% so looking at closer to £140.

I had expected the service cost to be closer to £250.

• Like 1

Went to Manchester this weekend and checked the oil this morning and it's bone dry yet again.  Did a total of 422 miles since the garage put 2 litres of oil in last week, it was in the middle of the hatched area.  It's going in tomorrow for the oil test but I'm going to ask them if it's still worth doing as there's obviously something wrong with it.  I bought the extended warranty for £150 last month when I got their special offer flyer so hopefully that will help me out with any repairs.

Had the car in for the first part of the oil consumption test and just picked it up.  I asked to see the report and like before they have filled it with 2350g of oil so I queried this.  The technician came out with all the paperwork and said that this is the correct weight of oil for the test as laid out in the TPI that they get from the diagnostic machine they use.  I showed them the email Skoda Services sent me stating that it should be filled with 3.6l of oil etc but they said they were wrong and everything is done as per the TPI and they don't know what they're doing.  They only want me to do 186 miles this time round though instead of the 600 miles I did last time.  Feel like I'm running round in circles here regarding this test.  Going to ring Skoda CS again to see what they say about it all.

Out of interest where do you get the details where it says you have to use 3.6L of oil for the test etc?

Edited by zom414

The car should start the Oil Consumption test with the Correct Quantity of new oil & a new filter.

(then the oil is dropped and weighed etc.)

So just ask the Master Technician the correct quantity of Oil that a 1.4 TSI Twincharger 180 ps minimum engine gets filled with 

when a Oil & Filter change service is done?

Ask why you would take the car for 186 miles with less than the correct quantity of oil in the engine?

1 litre weighs 857 grams.

3.6 litres weighs 3085.2 grams.

if they drained 2350 grams of oil before the test, that was 2.7 litres drained, then put back in the engine surely.

So 3085.2 grams of oil as a minimum.  3.6 litres.

............................................................................................

This below is the old Dynamic Test as it was carried out.

post-86161-0-43423100-1444141950_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-42008600-1444141959_thumb.jpg

There are others on here with copies of the Official Oil Consumption Test Invoice & the Report as Carried out in the past.

That was more accurate doing less miles than the nonsense that is being done now.

Maybe they will be prepared to post them here, or PM them to you.