vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.

So what did the Oil Consumption test show.

?

Done over how many miles and how much Oil was used, Litres / Grams?

Could you maybe post this in the Oil Jet 'Squirter threads'.

Just so those undergoing the Upgrade or trying to get the Oil Consumption issue resolved see how successful 

it has been with yours.

I understand the Oil Issues,

but as well as the Oil Jets Replaced and Oil & Filter Changed,.

Has the car had a ECU Software Update now when the New Jets were fitted,

and are there 4 new Spark Plugs on the car, or were they checked?

Re,

'Amber Light on',  24/3/2015

& + 2 Litres to take it to the correct level.

?

Was this the Oil Can Amber Light, and did you get a 'Low Oil Message', 

& was there no 'Low Oil Pressure Warning'.?

WHEN SERVICED ON 7/02/15 HAD YOU CHECKED THE OIL LEVEL THEY GAVE YOU THE CAR BACK WITH?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

What is the history of your car, have you owned it from new?

What mileage did problems start to show .How good was your dealership when progressing your problem?

So your general mileage is stop start/local - not long commutes or highish annual mileage.

Hi Goneoffski,

Posted a copy in 'Squirters' Thread.

I didn't ask the dealer for specifics about the oil consumption test, I already knew it was pretty high from the miles it had done since we bought it in Feb this year. Just needed the dealer to confirm and sort it, which they did without any fuss. It covered around 400 miles during the test, I asked for the plugs to be checked at the same time as the fix, the receipt doesn't show they were changed. (All warranty work as its registered March 13).

I can't tell you if the software was updated at any point previously. Something I never asked about and its also not on the job receipt.

The Amber light was the low oil level warning. I was shocked it came on so quick after the oil check 14 March. It pinged on whilst the wife was driving and I checked the level when she told me. I didn't check it when we collected it in Feb after is service by the selling Skoda dealership but you would presume it was set to max. The first few oil readings would support it was full when we collected it. So I reset it to max and ran it again to see how quickly it dissappeared to be sure. Dissappeared quickly again = trip to dealer.

Hi vrskeith,

We bought it in February this year (23mths old). The missus wanted a small green auto for city driving and picked a Rally Green VRS. I was aware 'some' had oil issues but took a punt on one anyway (Made sure it was CTHE first!!) and started checking the oil a few weeks into ownership. So the issue showed up pretty quickly in that respect.

The dealership was no problem at all (My local dealer, not the one we bought the VRS from). Maybe because they could see the recent change of ownership in the service history??? Just presented the facts and did what they requested. (No joy here and I would have gone back to the selling dealer to complain for sure)

Mileage is 97% short trips for us. Between 6th and 10th April, I ran it 230 odd miles round trip on the M6 in a day to see if the oil level would drop quickly or not when doing something different to the usual routine. It stayed relatively high for the vehicle speed and mileage covered so consumption had to be low rev/short trip related. Smoke on pull-aways/ and on-throttle applications after short downhill coasting kinda supported this also.

My car 2013 cthe engine have been recording oil level for 8 months now and about every 1500miles it drops about 100ml so I'm saying it's a safe engine would people agree

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

i would say thats fine if you're on a 10k mile service interval and you using 100ml every 1500 miles you would only use about 700 ml every 10k, it takes around a 650ml to go from the top of the dipstick to the bottom. 

to give you some idea my car is using anywhere between 400 ml and a litre every 500 miles at the moment  (i'm awaiting skoda to install the breather mod and new oil jets)

Hi all

ive only just picked up my Fabia VRS a week ago.

it was registered in June 2012, would this have the CAVE or CTHE engine?

I know at the top of this topic it says 'until 2012' it was CAVE but do you know exactly when in 2012 this changed? any issues with the CTHE engine?

thanks

I know at the top of this topic it says 'until 2012' it was CAVE but do you know exactly when in 2012 this changed? any issues with the CTHE engine?

If you open the driver's door and look at the bottom rear of the exposed bodywork you should see a black label which tells whether you have a CAVE or a CTHE . . . I think.

any issues with yours Oz?

It had been using 1L of oil every 2000 to 5000km. I had the oil jet mod done about 1500km ago, and so far I can't see any used, so fingers crossed, the issue is sorted.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I see many people saying that they are adding oil to their car. I have a 2014 model and I do rattle it down to the ground. I haven't had any oil problems and I've done 4k miles in it already. Should there be something I need to look at and fill it up every so often or wait until the light comes on?

Maybe check it occasionally when the car is parked on the flat and the oil is cold.

(this is not as the Owners Manual says.)

Just to see there is enough oil in before going someplace.

I would not wait for a Low Oil Warning Light, or Message or maybe a 'Low Oil Pressure Light or Message.

Because the car has 3.6 litres of oil when correctly filled, 

and the Warning Light or Message might not show until it has gone 2 litres low.

Over 1.5 Litres low is common and no warning light.

A little oil topping up occasionally depending on how the car is used is no issue, 

and many cars use no oil,  but it is best to check until you know the engines habits.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Info on Oil Jet replacement work I had done recently

Part No.                      Description                 Qty         Cost

D176600A1                Sealant - sump           1             £12.98

03C103474AD            Vent Hose                  1             £49.92

03C103558AA            Vent Hose                  1             £23.57

03C103157A              Jet - Oil Spray            4             £44.36

6R0129684E              Pipe                            1             £23.57

N90500605                Screw                          20          £5.00

N90813202                Sump plug                  1             £1.07

QLIII5W30                  Longlife oil                  3.6l         £30.85

EDIT - Under "Work Carried Out" I noticed the TPI number 2030474/3 and Baid number 65140521

• Like 1

Info on Oil Jet replacement work I had done recently

Part No.                      Description                 Qty         Cost

D176600A1                Sealant - sump           1             £12.98

03C103474AD            Vent Hose                  1             £49.92

03C103558AA            Vent Hose                  1             £23.57

03C103157A              Jet - Oil Spray            4             £44.36

6R0129684E              Pipe                            1             £23.57

N90500605                Screw                          20          £5.00

N90813202                Sump plug                  1             £1.07

QLIII5W30                  Longlife oil                  3.6l         £30.85

A very helpful addition to the thread.

Also noteworthy is that "Amazingly they have only put down £91.85 for labour, unsure about that but the overall total including labour was £283.17"

Hopefully the information that excess oil consumption may according to Skoda/VAG be corrected for just £240 will help to offset the negative stories surrounding this engine :)

• Like 2

The parts listed and labour do not include VAT.

so what is there if a Customer Paid and got it done with Labour charged as low as that is.

£229.58 Parts  (a new Oil Filter should be fitted unless already recently done.)

£91.85 Labour

+ 20% VAT

= £339.80

The owners of some cars that have had new Oil Spray Jets fitted have been told the Engine Management (ECU)

was given an Update as well.

What is strange is that MilgeS has a 2012/13 CTHE Engine car, 

which has already had an Engine Replaced in 2013 & this is now new Oil Spray Jets being fitted,

but also New Breather Pipes.

The New Breather Pipes were being fitted to Excessive Oil Using CAVE engines before the CTHE engines

were then introduced and the New Engine Management with the CTHE.

Odd that nearly 3 years on from the car being built Updated Breather Pipes were required to be fitted.

see post #78  on Vent Pipes (Breathers)

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=361074&page=4

• Like 1

Update from post #7

21135 miles covered and the oil is still just above the hatched area of the dipstick. No perceivable change there. 

No oil spots across the back of the car.

Still no misfires or engine lights since the fix.

Done a couple of long trips over the summer but its still mainly covering short journeys around town.

• Like 3