Moon Milers

Hi there as the title sugests I bought a moon miler a couple of months ago, 190,000 miles, guy who had it previously run it on the motorway all its life , did have a good poke about this site before I bought it and was impressed by the mileage it was capable of, 300, 000 plus if well maintaIned which this has been, twice a year. I had the cambelt done as soon as I bought it and new front discs and pads, the front bumper has been resprayed due to very heavy stonechipped,it looked like it had been shot with a machine gun,  the bonnet and wings are next, although I have spotted a chip on the bumper already, seems to be a magnet for them, mechancily its been sound, the guy had a new turbo fitted to it at a cost of £800 a year ago which is what swayed me to buy it..

Although mechanicly sound I was on the way home today and pulled off a round about and give it some beans and there was a juddering hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear, from reading around im guessing its possibly the D.M.F any other suggestions on this would be gratfull.

Would be intersted to hear of any other moon milers on here to see how there getting on with the high miles, I still get 55 mpg if I drive like a daisy but will return 46 or so if I decide to have a little fun which is the nice thing about the car, I like pulling of roundabouts and watching the kids in there st's baulk as I keep up with them as they try and keep up lol

i sold my last vrs on 155k, i bougt it on 130k still original turbo and clutch setup and was absolutely fine even when i mapped it at 147k i done a hybris turbo conversion and paddle clutch with smf and was spot on only sold it due to being offered good money for the car, i replaced it with another vrs thats done 100k, If its been looked after the car will look after you imo if at 190k all thats wrong with your car is to replace the dmf i would be happy with that. 

Hi there as the title sugests I bought a moon miler a couple of months ago, 190,000 miles, guy who had it previously run it on the motorway all its life , did have a good poke about this site before I bought it and was impressed by the mileage it was capable of, 300, 000 plus if well maintaIned which this has been, twice a year. I had the cambelt done as soon as I bought it and new front discs and pads, the front bumper has been resprayed due to very heavy stonechipped,it looked like it had been shot with a machine gun,  the bonnet and wings are next, although I have spotted a chip on the bumper already, seems to be a magnet for them, mechancily its been sound, the guy had a new turbo fitted to it at a cost of £800 a year ago which is what swayed me to buy it..

Although mechanicly sound I was on the way home today and pulled off a round about and give it some beans and there was a juddering hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear, from reading around im guessing its possibly the D.M.F any other suggestions on this would be gratfull.

Would be intersted to hear of any other moon milers on here to see how there getting on with the high miles, I still get 55 mpg if I drive like a daisy but will return 46 or so if I decide to have a little fun which is the nice thing about the car, I like pulling of roundabouts and watching the kids in there st's baulk as I keep up with them as they try and keep up lol

Sorry if I am missing any specific car details, but should it be a VRS with BLT engine, possible that is the EGR judder, this is sorted by changing a simple gasket over.

re DMF an indicator of this is if there is a juddering while in neutral with the clutch up I believe. Although I am sure those with better knowledge will be around shortly to clarify this for you.

Yeah sorry should have mentioned its a vrs, in a lovely red , not sure what engine it is, 53 plate is whats its on, my mates at work think im mad spending any money on it because of the milage, but as one day it may become classic and as long as the engine hangs out I dont mind throwing a little at it, although the lass does, Im in my mid 40's and remember the decades with xr3's and rs turbos and the like and could never afford them, I came from a very boring Ford Fiesta to the vrs and was surprised when my insurance company said it was going to be cheaper.

Anyway I will have to find out what engine it is and I have seen a very good article in here about the egr valve so will give it a go thanks!!!!

If its an 03, likely to be an ASZ which from what I gather doesn't suffer from this issue (mines ans asz too). It will tell you on your V5, but I'm sure you know that.

I do love mine, it has pretty decent mileage for its age (04 - 74k), people just don't seem to understand why I love it!! haha.

Have another look on how to diagnose a DMF failure, I would have read it on here somewhere. that way you have two angles of attack.

A full DMF/Clutch kit will be about £500 - £600 fitted I think, worth doing if it needs it. Mine is on 174,000 miles and running a good chunk more power, hasnt missed a beat, still runs perfect, no smoke etc. Had to fix the input shaft bearing in the gearbox and replace the turbo but aside from that it has been a great workhorse. 

If it is the flywheel Is sachs the way to go, looking on europarts its around £360 for that and the clutch, will have to have it looked at, its in the bodyshop tomorrow for a bonnet respray and wings, £250 for that, oh well its only paper,  will probably have to see how long It can go before it totally goes

• Like 1

Drive it until you lose drive ! Haha then change it. It might last another 50k with the judder, it might only last 5. Who knows. Don't change it before it gets undriveable though

Well found out the problem today on the way to the body shop soon as the car warmed up stutter stutter and that's without any acceleration.  So goto the body shop and asked the guy if he new any mechanics. He new an ex audi mechanic not far from him. So away I trundled in limp mode now as the expensive light had come on, soon as I turned up he said straight away injector had gone. So leaving it with him to sort out as he said he had some of an audi he can sort out for us £140 fitted so there goes the respray for now. Did sound like a bag of nails. Suppose that's cheaper than the £600 he said vw would charge.

Oh well least it will be sorted.

Well found out the problem today on the way to the body shop soon as the car warmed up stutter stutter and that's without any acceleration.  So goto the body shop and asked the guy if he new any mechanics. He new an ex audi mechanic not far from him. So away I trundled in limp mode now as the expensive light had come on, soon as I turned up he said straight away injector had gone. So leaving it with him to sort out as he said he had some of an audi he can sort out for us £140 fitted so there goes the respray for now. Did sound like a bag of nails. Suppose that's cheaper than the £600 he said vw would charge.

Oh well least it will be sorted.

Where did you take it? I am looking for a mechanic in Kent to look after my vrs?

Dont know if you know were Husks is on the A2 round the back theres a garage mot place there for cars, dont know the guy very well as I  only met him today, and thats only through the guy who was doing my car at the Kent Body Shop. Seemed quite a genuine bloke his name is Graham soon as I have his contact details I will post them up..

Hi All

I bought my BlackMagic VRS almost a year ago,when I bought it,it had 177k,but with a well documented history and similar to nickrick it had a been a local company's car and had,had the turbo,etc replaced.

I cover approx 16k per year with work,and so far the Furby has'nt missed a beat.its just  gone in for its MOT and service today,so am awaiting an update.(mlieage currently 193k) so will keep you posted.But apart from a full service last year,it has been an absolute pleasure to drive.I can honestly say I do enjoy driving it and always puts a smile on my face  :happy:

so nickrick if your Furby has been serviced regularly then you should have many more miles of happy motoring  :rock:

The VRS is on 163k, but I'm doing about 30k miles a year, so it'll reach the moon soon.

I just sold a MK2 Golf with 218k - still pulling strong, but the rings were starting to go.

My Corrado VR6 is on 240k and shows no signs of giving up.

Regular oil services help massively, and fixing niggles as soon as they happen, before they become major problems.