Second car - Motorway Refinement

snoogleroberts

Hello, long time lurker but new poster here!

I need some advice please! I'm 18 and have been driving a 2005 Yaris 1.0 for a year. 

My new placement means around 8000 miles of motorway driving a year, which won't be pleasant when my yaris does ~4000rpm at 70mph :wall:

Is the Citigo refined enough to be worth the cost of upgrading from the yaris?

I know I could just go and test drive one, but I don't want to waste a delaers time if the Citigo will not be much better. 

Thanks

Hello, long time lurker but new poster here!

I need some advice please! I'm 18 and have been driving a 2005 Yaris 1.0 for a year.

My new placement means around 8000 miles of motorway driving a year, which won't be pleasant when my yaris does ~4000rpm at 70mph :wall:

Is the Citigo refined enough to be worth the cost of upgrading from the yaris?

I know I could just go and test drive one, but I don't want to waste a delaers time if the Citigo will not be much better.

Thanks

Steering column is not adjustable, iirc power band is quite high up the rev range too! If I was to do anything it would be a Fabia Greenline 2! People have had 80mpg out of it and is comfortable more space adjustment and more refined!

Hm, not a good vote for the citigo then!

I don't think my mileage is actually high enough for a diesel to be honest.

My main concern is would the citigo be significantly quieter than my yaris?

Nope I don't think so especially without a bit of sound deadening around the arches on the citigo, the 75bhp model delivers the most power AFTER the redline :wall:

I do plenty of motorway miles and can't believe how refined the Citigo is. I have the 60ps model and don't think I've gone anywhere near 4K revs, even at 90+ mph ;) Much, much better than my old Toyota Aygo. Lots of grunt too.

• Like 3

I've done a few 200 mile plus motorway journeys in my citigo and it's fine. And I've done those same journeys in much bigger and more expensive cars.

At 70 you are pulling about 3000rpm iirc. If you so choose you can cruise at 85 all day long.

You should get a real world high 50s mpg too.

If you are interested go for a test drive a day take it onto a dual carriageway and drive it at 70 with the radio off, you'll get a pleasant surprise.

Oh and I'm not sure how the 75bhp engine can make its peak power above its redline .

• Like 1

The Wife's citigo ( 75 BHP Green tech ) has made several trips from North Yorkshire to South London. Excellent MPG and sits at 75/80 mph on the motorways  with no bother

It's actually more comfortable to drive on a long journey than my Octavia Vrs. It's a dream of a car. 

• Like 1

The Citigo is a very nice car to drive on the m-ways. I have done several runs and the problem I had was keeping the speed legal. Engine and road noise are perfectly acceptable. If I were you I would take out a demo on to a decent length of dual carriageway and see what YOU think of the noise. The Citigo holds the road well and is a whole lot better at not being deflected by HGVs when overtaking than my previous Fabia mk1 estate. There are a few people on here who have done a lot of motorway miles and find the car excellent. Have search around the forum.

There have been many comments about how good the Citigo is on the motorway. It is a small point but the 75ps Citigo revs slightly higher due to different gearing. I have always found that road noise is an issue, particularly in 'sportier' cars, at high speeds so the smaller the wheels and tyres the better in this respect - you might just stay with the 14' ones? Good luck. Andy.

Steering column is not adjustable, iirc power band is quite high up the rev range too! If I was to do anything it would be a Fabia Greenline 2! People have had 80mpg out of it and is comfortable more space adjustment and more refined!

Don't bother with the Fabia,way past its prime and the new model is due out later this year.

• Like 3

Citigo 60bhps is a great car on the motorway. Like has been said I also need to keep an eye on the speed limit, as the tendency is to creep up because it is so at ease engine wise and steady. I find very little need for steering corrections, unlike my previous Nissan Tiida 1.6, which was put off course by cross winds and buffeted by HGV's. The Citigo is so planted and seems like a much bigger car. I also prefer it to my earlier Renault Megane. I keep saying to my wife how much I love it.

• Like 1

I'd agree with all the previous positive comments. Have only had my 75ps Greentech Elegance a week but in that time have done several hundred motorway miles and found it very comfortable, quiet and with sufficient omph to cope with traffic. It's quite happy to cruise along at 85mph and return 50+ mpg. As already noted it drives and feels like a much bigger car - I've just come from a BMW 318i to this.

Can't compare with your previous car, because I've never driven one, but the Citigo is a fine motorway cruiser.

• Like 1

It has already been said, but to confirm, the 60 PS version is only doing a little over 3,000 rpm at 70 mph, and is right at the bottom of the maximum torque plateau, which extends to about 4,200 rpm. So there is still some acceleration to be had at this speed, and it feels remarkably capable and composed on the motorway for such a small-engined car.

I'd agree with all the previous positive comments. Have only had my 75ps Greentech Elegance a week but in that time have done several hundred motorway miles and found it very comfortable, quiet and with sufficient omph to cope with traffic. It's quite happy to cruise along at 85mph and return 50+ mpg. As already noted it drives and feels like a much bigger car - I've just come from a BMW 318i to this.

Can't compare with your previous car, because I've never driven one, but the Citigo is a fine motorway cruiser.

I said it many times about it being a good motorway cruiser, and echo exactly what's said above. Just watch the mpg if you go above 70mph it can drop below 60mpg significantly. It does behave like a bigger car and as for road noise, well I think the roads are partly the cause for that, they don't get any better whatever car you drive.

• Like 1

The car is very good on the motorway considering that it is supposed to be a city car. I suggest you have a test drive in one. That way you will know if you are comfortable with the driving position, get to sample the NVH for yourself and see how you like it. If cost is your main motivator, the Citigo is amongst the lowest running cost in terms of overall cost per mile on the market at the moment.

I'll agree with everything good about the Citigo on the motorway.  Done a couple of good motorway trips over the last few weeks and it will sit very happily with everything else and still return 60mpg.  It's an amazing car and with the wheels at the corners is very stable at speed.  Not fussy at 70-80mph by any stretch of the imagination.  We have the 75PS ASG version, but unless ragging it to the redline, the 60PS is just as good (had one as a courtesy car a while back and couldn't tell the difference in normal driving).

Cruise control and arm rest are good extras and Citigo gives pleasant ride on longer journeys as well.

I can't say Citigo is quiet inside, but the noise is not irritating. You cannot hear engine noise for example.

Like our local car magazine said about Toyota Aygo: "It's like sitting inside the tin drum." ;)  I never even tried Aygo though.