Number plates

DonjSZ5

I assume the name below the reg should be the manufacturer of the plate and not the vehicle. Who after 5 years or more is going to ask a dealer to make up a damaged plate.

The requirements for registration plates are set out here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/207546/V796.pdf

The plates need to confirm to British Standard:
1. The British Standard number to be shown (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

So it's nothing to do with the dealer directly, they're just the ones who are normally making up plates, unless you need a replacement set or purchase a personalised registration etc.

100% agreed. For me, the discussion revolves around that information being on the plate, and being within the letter of the law, but without the plate being plastered with dealer-related free advertising :)

For example on my set of private plates, I have the plate manufacturer name and postcode, and published BS standard built into the border.....

post-3659-0-22647100-1401885666_thumb.jpg

And the lack of 2 & 3 can, and has, resulted in an MOT failure on the relevant aged car.

(awaits a criticism for saying that!   :notme: )

True Graham... BUT that is of the company that MADE the plates and NOT the dealer that sold you the car.  These are two different things.   ;)

My front plate has Halfords postcode and details, as they made it for me and my rear one still says Marlborough Škoda along the edge and different details on the plate as to whoever they got to make them.

Johann,

The plates on my car were made by the dealer that sold the car, therefore they show the legal requirements as above, which also happens to be an advert for that dealer. I get the impression that the person who seems to enjoy having a go at me even finds that to be unsuitable.

I just find the whole discussion to be extremely petty.

Johann,

The plates on my car were made by the dealer that sold the car, therefore they show the legal requirements as above, which also happens to be an advert for that dealer. I get the impression that the person who seems to enjoy having a go at me even finds that to be unsuitable.

I agree...  things are getting a bit out of hand here.  :notme:

BUT not everyone has their plates made by the dealer. In most cases I'd say the dealer farms it out to some other number plate maker that puts their postcode and details bottom of the plate in teensy tiny lettering normally AND the dealer's advertising in an even bigger banner at the bottom. The latter is not a legal requirement and anyone can take that part off.

I don't see how it's petty to discuss options to avoid free advertising by the dealer at the bottom of numberplates?

Participation in the discussion isn't mandatory :thumbup:

• Like 3

Anyone ever asked their dealer for a fee for advertising the dealership? I don't see why they shouldn't, they have to pay everywhere else they advertise.

No, I mean plain, 340mm long, plates with nothing but the reg number and the legal details (bottom right).

There is no dealer or makers name on my Audi plates. There is though the legal wording bottom right. Been running with these plates on my Audi since 1998 which has passed all MOT's with no comments. I therefore suspect while it might be THE law, THE law do not seem bothered.

Hmmm...I appear to be getting a lot of Like This messages.

I wouldn't say four is a lot.

The bits on the plates don't bother me but the stickers in the windows got taken off when I stopped at the fuel station to fill the car with its first fuel - all of five minutes from the dealer.

I only replaced the front plate to get rid of the rust stain it got from one of the rusty screws the dealer used as well as the awful asymmetrical blue EU sign. 

• Like 1

These people: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Your-Show-Plate?_rdc=1 will make you plates for £22/pair. Either road legal fonts, etc. or non road legal "show plates" with alternative fonts or wording (for use off-road only).  I had some replacement road plates made for my previous BMW with the small print along the bottom consisting of the make and model of the car (as a kind of reverse to having your window glass etched with the reg. number), my name and postcode, BS AU145a, etc.

I figured that if dealers can use their name and postcode as the body commissioning the plates to be made up, then in the same role, I could use my name and postcode.   

Never had it quibbled in five MOTs with that car. :)

These people: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Your-Show-Plate?_rdc=1 will make you plates for £22/pair. Either road legal fonts, etc. or non road legal "show plates" with alternative fonts or wording (for use off-road only).  I had some replacement road plates made for my previous BMW with the small print along the bottom consisting of the make and model of the car (as a kind of reverse to having your window glass etched with the reg. number), my name and postcode, BS AU145a, etc.

I figured that if dealers can use their name and postcode as the body commissioning the plates to be made up, then in the same role, I could use my name and postcode.   

Never had it quibbled in five MOTs with that car. :)

they all appear to be 520mm x 110mm...I would like 330mm x 110mm....which is still legal.

Also their ebay title states replacement number plates when in reality they are not they are show plates...it says so in very small writing.

I am thinking these guys http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/designer.php#numberplates

Edited by DonjSZ5

Interesting posts.

My attitude is different from many drivers/owners but, we are all individual people with our own thoughts and wants.

To me, my car is a piece of personal property that I like to have in a certain way or style.

I guess (I could be wrong) the quoted legal words are trying to inform or help others with what should be done and may not always be done.

If this post offends, it's not meant to.

Good luck & happy motoring to one and all.

The Legal section of the above post #40 linked company is Crystal Clear on what is and is not UK legal.

The idea of advertisement on the plates does not worry me. It is small. What I don't like is the stickers slapped onto rear screens. First job on getting home has been to remove these.

Colin

I'm not too worried about dealers names on number plates, I normally specify no dealer stickers or badges and I once threatened to reject a car on the spot when a dealer didn't heed that request,

I certainly wouldn't take them off and risk damaging the heated rear window. On that occasion the sales manager got me another coffee whilst the offending stickers were removed and they gave me a first aid kit for my trouble as they realized they had made a mistake.

I got mine from "Plates for Cars"

There is an option to have the legal detail included and they will only add it to plates with the legal font. :thumbup:

[quote ... What I don't like is the stickers slapped onto rear screens. First job on getting home has been to remove these.

Colin

Ditto!

This thread made me look at my SM's number plates.

Initially I couldn't see any obvious dealer details from a distance of a few yards. Upon close inspection I could just make out 'Sinclair Skoda', a post code and BSI detail. As the letters only measured 3mm in height I disagree that this constitutes 'free advertising' for the dealer. Frankly, I find the contents of this thread blown out of all proportion and like most people I have 'bigger fish to fry'!

• Like 2

This thread made me look at my SM's number plates.

Initially I couldn't see any obvious dealer details from a distance of a few yards. Upon close inspection I could just make out 'Sinclair Skoda', a post code and BSI detail. As the letters only measured 3mm in height I disagree that this constitutes 'free advertising' for the dealer. Frankly, I find the contents of this thread blown out of all proportion and like most people I have 'bigger fish to fry'!

Forums are strange places, you can ask a simple, imposing, question and some turn it into a vendetta.

It seems OK for some to load up their vehicles with all sorts of non standard goodies yet to have a bare bones number plate....no no no you are breaking the law. Then of course there are the predictables...wait for it, wait for it, yes here it comes.

Pass me my cod piece dear...luverly jubbly.

• Like 2

OK further to my post and probably to the annoyance of those frying fish...and having received information from my dealer. Wonder if they are looking in, anyway.

To conform the the plates must be constructed as follows,

The registration number is Black on a white reflective background for front. No honeycomb.

The registration number is Black on a yellow reflective background for rear. No honeycomb.

Letters and numbers may be 3D

Plates can have a border.

Plates cannot have a footer. What constitutes a footer. I take this as being anything within the reflective part of the plates.

The smallest physical size of the plates depends on the year of manufacture the digit size for the appropriate year and the number of digits. Recognised and approved suppliers have online configurators that assist with this aspect.

The British Standard Number BS AU 145d. (placed bottom right and commonly in a small font)

The name, address and postcode of the Registered Number Plate supplier. This is NOT necessarily the vehicle supplier. This is where you may have problems with your new vehicle supplier.

Plates can be attached by screws or double sided gorilla tape. Screw heads cannot affect the digits.

Various legal decals can be added to the left hand side.

My dealer says the plates must show the dealership details which I think is not included in the above. While they have made up the plates as the Registered Plate supplier, I could immediately replace them with plates that conform to the above but omit the dealers name. As they receive the document from the DVLA to register and tax the newly imported vehicle I suspect they have a hold over me supplying my own plates that do not show their details.