Why does the 1.6 TDi come in three different engine powers?

Sorry if the answer is obvious...

What physical difference is there between the three different 1.6 TDi engines? They come in three different power outputs but all have the same (quoted) mpg.

And, why do they make a low powered one when the higher powered engine has the same mpg? Just wondered.

Edited by mattgirling

To vary wear/failure rates so that the dealership workshops can keep up fixing them? :p

My 1.6CR spent 6% of its life so far at a dealership, already has a new engine block, new injector, 4 new injector pipes and a new EGT sensor fitted under warranty. All in <18k miles.

As much as my wife and myself enjoy driving that car (1.6CR is very good... when it works), it is quite a change from the reliability of the 1.9 diesel in any guise.

• Like 1

I have test drove all 3 and now own the 90 bhp one.All 3 of Them have the same engine just differant maps. The 75bhp and the 90bhp ones cost 20 pounds a year to road tax. Where as the 105 bhp is 30 pounds a year. The 75 bhp one felt a bit low on power but the 90 bhp and the 105 felt the same to me I would have bought the 105 bhp but the only one the dealership had for sale was an s model so I settled for the 90 bhp in se model. I have had the car from december 2013 and done 6000 miles in that time.In that time I have had one fault the flashing glow plug light was comeing on during start up but if I tuned the ignition of then back on it would go away. I called out skoda assit and it turned out to be a faulty turbo pressure sensor the mechanic had the part in his van changed it there and then since then had no problems it pulls well and I, m getting in real life terms 64 mpg.I have heard that all 3 of these engines can be mapped to 130 bhp by shark not something I would do myself but an extra 40 bhp would be pretty fast in this car.

Thanks firefox2

Normally there is a trade off between peak power and best fuel efficiency so I thought it was strange. I did an insurance check and there seems to be little difference between them. I wondered if other countries have difference tax schemes which depends on power rating.

I test drove an 11 plate tdi 105 and a 61 plate tdi 75. Both 1.6 tdi elegance estates. 75 was flat and gutless. 105 was awesome. I bought the 105. On the motorway the 105 cruised at 70mph at 2000 rpm but the 75 sat at roughly 2200 rpm. I don't know whether all the gear ratios are different or just 5th gear.

I bought the excellent 105. :-)

• Like 1

I test drove an 11 plate tdi 105 and a 61 plate tdi 75. Both 1.6 tdi elegance estates. 75 was flat and gutless. 105 was awesome. I bought the 105. On the motorway the 105 cruised at 70mph at 2000 rpm but the 75 sat at roughly 2200 rpm. I don't know whether all the gear ratios are different or just 5th gear.

I bought the excellent 105. :-)

Probably because it needed 2200rpm to generate the same power as the 105 did at 2000rpm in order to overcome air resistance to maintain 70mph? Gearing is likely to be the same.

And since the engine is directly mechanically connected to the road wheels.

With each engine driven wheel covering a set distance.

Where does the "missing" 200rpm disapperar to?

mind I suppose (though unlikely) different wheel sizes, in lieu of gearing, could be a factor.

I have test drove all 3 and now own the 90 bhp one.All 3 of Them have the same engine just differant maps. The 75bhp and the 90bhp ones cost 20 pounds a year to road tax. Where as the 105 bhp is 30 pounds a year. The 75 bhp one felt a bit low on power but the 90 bhp and the 105 felt the same to me I would have bought the 105 bhp but the only one the dealership had for sale was an s model so I settled for the 90 bhp in se model. I have had the car from december 2013 and done 6000 miles in that time.In that time I have had one fault the flashing glow plug light was comeing on during start up but if I tuned the ignition of then back on it would go away. I called out skoda assit and it turned out to be a faulty turbo pressure sensor the mechanic had the part in his van changed it there and then since then had no problems it pulls well and I, m getting in real life terms 64 mpg.I have heard that all 3 of these engines can be mapped to 130 bhp by shark not something I would do myself but an extra 40 bhp would be pretty fast in this car.

Just renewed tax on my 105 and was £20 :)

• Like 1

So its 20 pounds for a years road tax for the 105 i was getting my info from the salesman.

Never trust the salesmen.

Yes £20.00 for my Monte 1.6tdi 105 bhp.

• Like 1

What kind of mpg are you guys getting from the 105 ?

I'm currently getting between 610/630 miles to a tank, brimmed at the same pump each time and run to very nearly empty. I understand that it's a 10 gallon tank and so about 61/63 mpg real world.

40-45mpg driving around a small town, 50-60mpg in the countryside, 30mpg-50mpg motorway depending on speed (50mpg for UK limit, 30mpg at more or less constant 110mph on autobahn, at night), . But these numbers are for a Roomster, same drivetrain but far less aerodynamic shape hence high motorway figures (in fact the Roomster uses more than my Mk1 Superb 2.5TDI for 100mph-120mph speed range). Fabia should be much better on motorway.

In all use cases including autobahn, our 1.6CR copes very well, just breaks way too often and with too serious issues (compared to 1.9 Mk1 Octy this car replaced).

Thanks for all the comments. I've now put down a deposit on a Fabia 1.6 TDi and its the 105bhp.

It's a bit a of a step up from my 14 year old Felicia... that was a 1.3 MPi at 54 bhp! I hope the Fabia will be just as reliable and well built as the Felicia was.

Edited by mattgirling
  • Like 1

Just price points and marketing that's all.

Not just Skoda, BMW offer 114i, 116i and 118i petrols, all have the same 1.6 Turbo. And diesels 116d, 118d, 120d and 125d are all 2.0 diesels.

Lee

If all 1.6tdi's are the same engine but different maps, then why is the 75bhp and 90bhp weigh the same and the 105bhp heavier, larger something... intercooler? radiator? bigger brakes?

Edited by fabia55