Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

I ride a Scott CR1 road bike.
My dad bought it for my 21st, cracking bike, quite high geared so it is easy to fairly wiz along on straights and if there are any declines... I can keep up with cars with ease.

JRJG

• Like 2

Funny this should pop up.

Can any of you advise on adjusting the front derailer? Mine is skipping when changing from the small to middle gear, and again on the way down from the biggest gear.

It's a shimano grip shift if that makes any difference. Been many years since I've messed with gears.

Id suggest getting the cable changed deoending how old the bike is, these tend to strech over time especially on grip shifts from what I understand.

• Like 1

I competed in triathlon for 8 years (all distances from sprints to Ironman) and then dropped the swimming and running to pursue my love of cycling. I retired from competitive events in 2010 and haven't ridden a bike for some 3 years. That said, I currently have 4 bikes, although one is an unbranded road frame that does nothing but sit on the turbo trainer. My main bike is a Litespeed Avior with custom paint job (Italian Pearl White Metallic with silver decals), Ultegra SL groupset and Hed Ardennes wheels - a really lovely bike to ride. My second bike is a Planet X Carbon Superlight in blue, again with Ultegra SL groupset and with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels - very nice for a training bike! My third bike is a Scott Expert that has been converted to a flat bar commuter, again with Ultegra SL and Shimano 16-spoke wheels. 

I've just looked for some photos and don't have any on this computer. I do, though, have one of me when I raced the Outlaw Ironman distance triathlon as the cyclist in a relay team:

MickOutlaw1.jpg

5 hours 14 minutes for 112 miles.

• Like 1

I got into Cross-Fit, then a knee injury, an 8 week work related course and then a new job that is extremely busy. I do want to start riding again but there are just so many other demands on my time - we keep chickens, bees, grow our own fruit and veg, have a dog and 3 cars to keep clean/maintained. And not forgetting the wife and 3 children!

Id suggest getting the cable changed deoending how old the bike is, these tend to strech over time especially on grip shifts from what I understand.

or just adjust the cable tension, no need to replace the cable as new cables will stretch anyway and require adjustment after a short time.

if the tension adjuster on the shifter is not enough you will need to slack off the hex bolt holding the cable to the derailleur,  wind back the adjusters on teh shifters to minimum you will probably need an assistant to hold it at its highest position, then re-clamp the cable and fettle as required.

if its still skipping it might be worn chain rings..  at which point http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ is normally peanuts :)

• Like 1

or just adjust the cable tension, no need to replace the cable as new cables will stretch anyway and require adjustment after a short time.

if the tension adjuster on the shifter is not enough you will need to slack off the hex bolt holding the cable to the derailleur,  wind back the adjusters on teh shifters to minimum you will probably need an assistant to hold it at its highest position, then re-clamp the cable and fettle as required.

if its still skipping it might be worn chain rings..  at which point http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ is normally peanuts :)

or that^^^ 

i just tend to replace cables (rather good friends with the owner of the LBS) so get high quality pre streched ones at a very very good price,

and i hate adjusting gears with knackered cables, so you get "like new" shifting.

that said i dont have any front mechs and havent for years:P

Got into mountain biking about 5 years ago, started out with a Specialized Hardrock but after a while moved on to a Lapierre Zesty 314. Ride mainly in the Peak District, North Wales, Lake District and my local forest which is Delamere. I've also taken part in the Isle of Man End2End challenge for the past 3 years, but I'm having a year off this year. Anyway enough writing, here's some photos...

1185473_10153205372660705_1701651495_n.j

1239453_10153204612710705_580660018_n.jp

resized.jpg

dropoff2a.jpg

006.PNG

030.JPG

058a.jpg

067.JPG

I have 3 bikes:

2010 Brompton M3L 2010 Loving it less than usual at the moment due to not tightening the centre bracket recently and taking a tumble at speed

2013 Genesis Croix de Fer frame with my choice of components (Brooks saddle, 36 spoke Mavic A719 wheels with front dynohub, 30 speed Ultegra)

2014 Cube Race Pro road bike - 20 speed 105

Did an overnight 86 mile ride on my road bike Saturday in to Sunday. AMAZING

Off to see part of the opening tour of the TdF in Yorkshire next week. May try and ride Buttertubs pass.

Got into mountain biking about 5 years ago, started out with a Specialized Hardrock but after a while moved on to a Lapierre Zesty 314. Ride mainly in the Peak District, North Wales, Lake District and my local forest which is Delamere. I've also taken part in the Isle of Man End2End challenge for the past 3 years, but I'm having a year off this year. Anyway enough writing, here's some photos...

058a.jpg

067.JPG

Where were those last two taken? Looks pretty cool.

They were taken in the Lake District, the route is called High Street North. The first photo was taken on the climb up to High Raise from Hartsop (carrying the bike on some sections) and the second photo is taken not long after reaching the top! Route below :)

HighStreetNorth.jpg

Getting back into it after 15 years, aim being to tow the small people round in a Burley and do some bits of trails and tracks (nothing too technical) when we get the odd hour.

I went for a 2013 Trek 4700, Mel went for 2013 Felt Krystal 50  -  crazy spec for the money, especially compared to what was around when I was doing a couple of hundred miles a week an eternity ago.

Newbike.jpg

Been ride for a while and last year managed to bag a year old Norco Sight 2 for £700! This thing is amazing but I don't get to ride it enough(2 sprogs and shift work).

My main riding is commuting to work though 3 times a week it has a trailer attached with said sprogs in it..

Road bike hasn't seen any action this year so far :(  

Just been looking at the British Heart Foundation website at there Peak district ride in September, various distances, any interested people out there?

Good to see a few cyclists showing their faces on a car forum!

Big time roadie here - ride more miles than I drive these days! Cant possibly discuss the bike collection here in case SWMBO reads it but several Enigma steel and ti and carbon rides. If I'm not working I'm riding or training and have ridden events and trips all over Europe and Scandinavia. Never happier than when climbing mountains and you'll notice my avatar is close to the top of Alp d'Huez a couple of years ago. Off to ride the Raid Alpine later this year from Geneva to Nice over 6 days. Race TT's during spring and summer.

Finally pleased to have a more practical wagon coming to make bike transport a little easier!

Good to see a few cyclists showing their faces on a car forum!

Big time roadie here - ride more miles than I drive these days! Cant possibly discuss the bike collection here in case SWMBO reads it but several Enigma steel and ti and carbon rides. If I'm not working I'm riding or training and have ridden events and trips all over Europe and Scandinavia. Never happier than when climbing mountains and you'll notice my avatar is close to the top of Alp d'Huez a couple of years ago. Off to ride the Raid Alpine later this year from Geneva to Nice over 6 days. Race TT's during spring and summer.

Finally pleased to have a more practical wagon coming to make bike transport a little easier!

I'd love to get up to Alpe d'Huez at some point, but for the Megavalanche ;)

Edited by samj2013
  • Like 1

I'd love to get up to Alpe d'Huez at some point, but for the Megavalanche ;)

Be careful....

Rule #55
// Earn your turns.

If you are riding down a mountain, you must first have ridden up the mountain. It is forbidden to employ powered transportation simply for the cheap thrill of descending. The only exception to this is if you are doing intervals on Alpe d’Huez or the Plan de Corones and you park your car up top before doing 20 repeats of the climb.

Closest I've been to that is ascending and then decending the climb to les deux alpes across the valley, but that was on a coach going skiing!

I'll stick to a weekly bit of mixed roads and forest tracks on the mtb to try and keep the cholesterol down, but fair play to you if you're that super keen. Enjoy......

• Like 1

Wish we had some forest tracks and that type of terrain to ride around here - sadly as soon as you get off the tarmac is thick gloopy mud :( Loved my MTB as a student