octavia vrs tsi or bmw 330d

Currently have a mk2 vrs fl tsi hatch and was on the skoda website looking at a new octavia vrs tsi estate . By the time I added a few options (sunroof, sat nav , park assist, wheel upgrade, side airbags ) it came to 29k. Nearer 30k if I extended the warranty and took the service package. Finding it hard to justify 30k for a skoda estate much as I still think it is a good car and the space it offers is fantastic. I really like the current 3 series and for the same money could get a year old 330d msport estate with the 8speed auto which is supposed to be fantastic. Most of them have the 5 year service pack as well and for only slightly more I could get the 4 wheel drive version. To me skoda are close to pricing themselves out the market? Only drawback with the bmw is there isn't as much space. I know people will say if i bought a year old octavia then it would be a lot cheaper but there arent any about with the spec i want. What's people's thoughts?

The 3-Series boot is tiny and there is significantly less rear legroom. The BM is better built and handles superbly. The 330D has a lovely engine (for an oil burner) that combines TSI beating performance and TSI beating economy.

I moved from a 320D Touring to the to a Mk3 TSI because I needed more space. Other than space, purchase price and general practicality the 3-Series is the better car. If you really don't need the space then go for the BM (I would have).

I must admit the 330d or 335d is on my list of possible cars. A chap at work has the 335d coupe plus remap....wow!

Every gear, any gear.... it just takes off and is such a smooth engine.

The interior, cabin materials and space is the only downside IMO.

WTF buy an Octavia unless you need a family sized car, way more fun in the bmw3 if you can take the ear ache from SWMBO.

thats the thing I've got so used to the space in my current octavia that I think I might miss it if I went to the 3series. We have one child just now and plan on having another, so yes I do need a family car. One thing that really puts me off the 3 is runflat tyres/ no spare wheel.

I have had a 320 and the space in the back is shocking, having 3 adults in the back is almost impossiable as the middle one gets crushed, I assume this is to do with the rear wheel drive.

I have had a 320 and the space in the back is shocking, having 3 adults in the back is almost impossiable as the middle one gets crushed, I assume this is to do with the rear wheel drive.

Interior width and headroom is also lower in the BM. I am 6ft 5" and can comfortably sit behind myself within the Octy. Whilst I could get very comfortable in the front of my 3-Series, the rear was a pain for headroom, kneeroom and shoulder room (if more that 2 rear occupents).

The new vs used questions is always a difficult one to answer. Used almost always offers better value but you do lose the new baby/puppy factor.

I'm currently driving a 63 plate 320d Msport touring and it is a great car but too small for my family needs hence why I ordered a Octavia. If you don't need the space then the Beemer wins hands down, mate has the 330d and raves about it. The auto box is awesome, had it on a 5 series for 3 years when the latest F10 model came out.

I went from a Mk2 Octavia vRS estate to a new 335d xDrive saloon.

Yes you lose some space. But then you end up with a tremendous drivetrain in return. Having has the DSG, the sport auto mated to the 6 cylinder engine is sublime. 

Runflats - the E90 3 series were harsh as hell on RFTs, but the new F30s especially with adaptive suspension ride beautifully both in comfort and sport mode.

If you can get buy without the space (my wife has the family sized car), then a 6 cylinder well specced 3 series is in a different league to the skoda. I also got 18% discount on mine. Road tax £130 a year, 313 bhp 4wd, 0-62 in 4.8 secs and averaging 45mpg currently with a mixture of motorway cruising and A road overtaking. 

I absolutely love my current car. 

You're in Stonehouse? Douglas Park gave me a good deal, but I also have bought several cars including the Skoda from them

Edited by evan15281

We have a 2013 BMW F31(mine) and a 2014 Octavia(Wife's). The Octavia is a great car but as others are saying here, if you don't need the space, go for the bimmer! Much more fun to drive, better drivetrain and build quality.

I also got 18% discount on mine.

DtD are currently offering discounts of 22% - now that is mighty tempting!!

Skodas certainly are not the bargains they once were, and BMW's do not hold the premium they once did (after discount). A brand new UK 330d SE Auto can be had for £26k from Drivethedeal.com, just a small bump above a VRS DSG with a couple of extras.

The discounts are very tempting on the BMW. Suprised how much they are offering off new models. That's the thing with the octavia now, space is the only real advantage it has over some premium marques. My neighbour has a new tdi vrs and I was suprised by how noisy it sounded. No comparison to a bmw straight six diesel.

Hi,

Here's my tupence worth.

I get a company car and have always taken the cash and bought my own. I was put off the VAG product due to a Golf est of 2001 vintage when they firsy brought out the PD engine and 115hp. It was and still is the worst driving experience ever. Wallowy and zero steering feedback and it went back to the garage 7 times in the first year for faults !

Then went through 2 mondeos that clocked up 250k with hardly any problems. Totally different league for handling and driver involvement. By the way, during this time I had a P1 Impreza and now still have the last of the classic turbos as a weekend fun car. The last Mondeo was the St with remap and gave the performace the car deserved. My wife still ahs this car.

2 years ago I went back into the car scheme and took a 320d SE touring (1 yr old) and was expecting great things. Has to be said, i'm undelwhelmed at the whole experience, Within 3 months it was having a a new clutch/flywheel and twice since for a rear boot failure. My gripes with it are - throttle response - I think the last time i had to floor the throttle and wait to make a quick get way was back in the XUD engine days. Seems the technique is to push to the floor and count to 2..seems like that anyway.

Handling - ok if you drive up to 60% of grip. Anythng over that and the damping cant keep up with the springs...they are not matched or just set up for a leisurely drive...this is not a drivers car...Steering - must be the run flats but compared to the Scoob or Mondeo there is no commication coming back up through the wheel. This is what i'm conserned about having order a VRS but I think that's par for the course with that product and i'll have to live with it.

Plus point for the beemer is motorway cruising - It's an excellent mile muncher and very economical in real world terms. 50mpg is easliy achievable at 85mph cruising.

We all want different things and for sure, if there was one "best" car then we'd all be driving it !

Steve.

This I can understand is a hard choice as a top spec Octavia (Elegance L&K or VRS) can be over 30k which as many have said is BM/Audi/Merc etc money.

Some have said they went for the Skoda as for there 30k they get top spec lots of toys etc where as in the German alternates this money gets you a lesser spec, personally I've not researched specs on the German alternatives to prove or disprove this.

My personal opinion (please don't shoot me down for it) would go in the way of the Octavia as on my travels I see more and more 3/5 series, A4 & C class mid level motors than any other models including mondeo or insignia's just because its 'fashionable' to have a BM etc..and the driving of a small minority leads me to not want to be stuck with that stereo type

Personally I would dread to pull into the office and park in a row of cars with my colleagues where they only way I knew it was my car was by the shade of paint I chose or the sticker in the back window.

But in the end its down to personal choice if you get more pleasure from something other than the Octavia then thank god we live in a country where you can make that choice......

As a bit of a curve ball what about a 530d, maybe one 12 months old? You'd get the lurvely beemer engine plus the space the 3 series was missing too.

As a bit of a curve ball what about a 530d, maybe one 12 months old? You'd get the lurvely beemer engine plus the space the 3 series was missing too.

The 5 series is still smaller than the Octavia in terms of rear leg room and load space, or at least that's how it felt when I looked at them... also, it's a well known (maybe) fact that you have to have the optional clever suspension thingywotsit on the 5 series or it's a crap ride.

Never driven a beemer so it was just an innocent question Wiggo based on the general guff I've read, I didn't realise not all beemers offer the same (allegedly) legendary handling 50:50 weight distribution etc....... according to bmw of course.

LOL that put me in my place... I await the next recommendation from another numpty.....

BMW achieve closer to equal front-rear weight distribution than most front-engined mainstream manufacturers. Many BMW models have relatively long noses with wheels close to the front and engines comparitively set far back, The battery in the bood trick and added rear axel weight (over FWD cars) also helps prevent them from being too nose heavy.

Ultimately, the biggest single item that makes BMW's (and most decent sports cars) handle so well is rear wheel drive. This allows the front wheels to take care of steering alone and the rear to put down the power. The steering feedback on my 3-Series was a very long way ahead of my VRS. The VRS has plenty of cfront-end ornering grip but you cannot feel what the front wheels are doing throuigh the steering wheel. In the VRS I feel the front wheels more through my bum than the wheel itself. In the BM you could feel the road conditions and front grip levels directly through the wheel. The BM's rear also felt much more alive and could be controlled with the right pedal or simply by lifting off when pushing things.

I would say that my VRS probably corners just as fast as the BM, but the VRS feels more remote. Sometimes I only notice the front wheels are spinning on the VRS by the blinking orange ESP light on the dashboard or vibration through the seat. The steering is functional and precise but uninformative. As a drivers car there is no contest whatsover, but equally as a family car there is no contest between them either. Different tools for different jobs.

All comes down to what you want out of a car.

I've had 3 x BMW's and all have caused me some very serious and very expensive problems when just of of warranty and most of them played up while in warranty.

I did like the way they handled, however for every day driving, they are not leagues ahead of other cars that many will lead you to believe.

I wanted to find a car that could handle, not just the road, but also the space for my family and their luggage, safely, securely and reliably,......oh wait, I did and it's called a Skoda Octavia VRS TSI and I can honestly say it's one of the best cars I've ever owned and is a very good car.

Either way it is totally up to the OP,....

For all of the 3-Series dynamic brilliance, I never liked my 320D as much as I like my VRS TSI. Perhaps it is the diesel vs petrol engine or the commonality of BM's nowadays, but somehow the VRS just has more charachter and feels a little more special. The VRS reminds me of a grown-up Subaru Impreza in many ways, and I will never love any car as much as I did my Subaru.

• Like 2