Tyres 10K in

Hi all,

Iphone playing up...

Thinking of changing tyres on car, can anyone shed experiences on tyre brands??

Bridgestone

Kumho

Firestone

Fallen

Gt Radial

As don't know much myself

Thanks

Brian

Checkout Goodyear Efficient Grip.

• Like 1

Dunlop Sport Maxx GTs still going strong on my Elegance with 18" Golus, fronts still over 4mm, done 24k now, rears still over 6mm. I've had over 30k out of a set of Contis on the front of my old Superb II so you lot getting less than 10k must be driving like boy racers! :rofl:

My old Yaris came from the factory with Bridgestones which only lasted 11k. I swapped them for Goodyear eagle venturers which had much more grip and were only half worn after a further 20k.

Tyres are far too expensive to be replacing at 10k

Dunlop Sport Maxx GTs still going strong on my Elegance with 18" Golus, fronts still over 4mm, done 24k now, rears still over 6mm. I've had over 30k out of a set of Contis on the front of my old Superb II so you lot getting less than 10k must be driving like boy racers! :rofl:

My golus came with 18 inch bridgestone. Wonder how long they will last.

My golus came with 18 inch bridgestone. Wonder how long they will last.

I guess a major factor is the type of mileage you do coupled with driving style, for me 70-80% is on motorway or dual carridgeway so I imagine less of a hammering than stop start town driving, but 20k should be achievable on a decent branded tyre as long as you not spinning the wheels at the lights. We only just recently changed the fronts on SWMBOs 5yr old MkII, and they were Goodyear Eagle NCT5s, the car has only done 27k since new, mainly short trips and she must have got over 25k from the fronts, rears still got 5mm on, and will probably perish before they wear out!

goodyear efficient grip for me.  as I have said on other tyre threads, my experience with them is on a modeo so a different car but they were as grippy and as quiet as similar priced continentals (I had premium contact before) and returned notiecably better mpg, an extra 20 or more miles from a tank.  after 9.5k I sold the car but they were lasting fine and showed no real signs of wear, even the fronts. based on this when I finally got my vrs and needed a tyre for the spare I bought a pair of efficient grips, they were about £95 each from mytyres after a couple of quid cashback from topcashback 

goodyear efficient grip for me. as I have said on other tyre threads, my experience with them is on a modeo so a different car but they were as grippy and as quiet as similar priced continentals (I had premium contact before) and returned notiecably better mpg, an extra 20 or more miles from a tank. after 9.5k I sold the car but they were lasting fine and showed no real signs of wear, even the fronts. based on this when I finally got my vrs and needed a tyre for the spare I bought a pair of efficient grips, they were about £95 each from mytyres after a couple of quid cashback from topcashback

Cheers Neil. Useful info, not had them myself before but having two fitted tomorrow. £104 each fitted and balanced.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric are excellent.  Fantastic dry weather grip and seriously impressive wet weather too.

I have to agree just had four fitted a couple of months ago and they are a brilliant tyre.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric are excellent.  Fantastic dry weather grip and seriously impressive wet weather too.

They would be my choice, put them on my mk2 vrs when I had it!

Hi all,

Appreciate the help and guidance went into the local tyre shop that I know really well.

Think the wear hasn't helped, with the car having to cope with 3 different people (dad/brother/ myself) style of driving.

Interesting Conti 2's that were factory fitted are no longer available.

Initially gave me options of Conti 3's and 5's, said would be better with 5's as when replacing the backs should have no problems with discontinued tyres.

Conti 5's bout £100 Each, is this a fair market price?

Regards

Brian

SC3's are harder wearing than the quieter/softer (due to EU regs. only) SC5's. Also spend out for all wheel laser alienment, nothing comes outta the factory perfect.

Heavier TDI's ain't gonna go too easy on the front tyres either, great drive/grip off of roundabouts will all add to wear rates.

Slightly off topic but;

Considering taking the service/tyres and maintain option. Anyone got this? I like to have good tyres and don't mind paying a few extra ££ for them. How ever, I don't want to come replacement time and get some budget/ economy brand on my vrs.