Satnav confusion and frustration

The SD card you have. Is it an original Skoda card?

If yes, put it into a computer, and check if the files are on it.

If they arent, take the updates you did earlier, and put them on the genuine SD card.

Original card in original DVD style case. SD card has Skoda badge on it. Files are on it.

Mrs A says not to touch in case dealer decides we broke it - see above on Skoda dealers.

Original card in original DVD style case. SD card has Skoda badge on it. Files are on it.

Mrs A says not to touch in case dealer decides we broke it - see above on Skoda dealers.

The Mrs is right.

If the files are on it, and its the original card then it should be working no problem. Take it back to Nissan dealers. They have to sort it, even if they end up getting stung by the Skoda dealer next door. It was only if the card was empty, that the downloads may have been a good option. But the original files on the card should work. Something is amiss

Just a thought, and by no means a definitive answer, but I believe someone earlier mentioned that the SD cards only work in the first car they are used in. If so, then perhaps the last owner has swapped cards over or something like that. Whatever the case, Nissan dealer should have noticed there was a problem and not sold the car like it is.

Its like the time i brought a 2nd hand Focus from a Ford dealer, and it turned out the AC wasnt working. Supposedly they had fully checked the car before handing it over. Not quite sure about that!!

Mine too was in slot 1 and it has worked perfectly well. I use slot 2 for music sd cards & wasn't until I read the manual & it states the sd card goes in slot 2, but as it has worked I have left it alone.

As others have said back to the dealer & tell them to sort it. If it costs them for a new card from Skoda that is their problem.

Having just read your post again you say you put music on the sd card to test it. Maybe you need to format it or remove what you put on it as the satnav won't recognise files other than those for the satnav.  In any case you will need to remove those files before you go back to the dealer & of course don't tell them what you did as I am sure they will decline any help if you have tinkered with the card.

Edited by kalpat

I am 100% sure that the SD navi card MUST be in slot 1 , I think it was written in the manual... :D  Anyways try to put the card in slot 1 and it will probably work  :notme:

I am 100% sure that the SD navi card MUST be in slot 1 , I think it was written in the manual... :D Anyways try to put the card in slot 1 and it will probably work :notme:

The latest Amundsen manual says it must be in slot2 to function correctly. Just shows how reliable Skoda manuals are.

Firstly - thanks for all the replies.

I took the plunge last evening and reformatted the original card according to the instructions and added the update files - I also did a fresh "full" download which took all night hence the delay in replying. I updated it using Windows 7 (no messing with the partitions or anything else).

Plugged it and followed the instructions on how to update it and it again says "insert media with..." :envy:  

So I've given up.

It goes back tomorrow AM with Mrs A.

A slight funny - Mrs A asked me for the postcode of the dealer so she could find it... er... :notme:

Just a thought, and by no means a definitive answer, but I believe someone earlier mentioned that the SD cards only work in the first car they are used in. If so, then perhaps the last owner has swapped cards over or something like that. Whatever the case, Nissan dealer should have noticed there was a problem and not sold the car like it is.

Its like the time i brought a 2nd hand Focus from a Ford dealer, and it turned out the AC wasnt working. Supposedly they had fully checked the car before handing it over. Not quite sure about that!!

No idea if the previous owner swapped cards, the packaging seems original, the card has the Skoda stickers on it and came in the original DVD style case.

If they had two Skodas maybe they could have swapped it however I didn't find anything on the card which locks it to the car - its a simple, ordinary SD card with a sticker on it.

The company I work for buys cards in bulk for customer use and the makers change the specs often based on what components are available and cheap - e.g. 1GB chips are no longer available so ours are now 2GB, 4GB and so on.

Maybe a bit optimistic of me,,,but have you tried the card in slot 1?

Yep.

I can also add some music tracks and they play really well in either slot. I did the same with another card and the music is good there too.

The media player is very good - I have an older Audi and the media player in it is cr@p compared to this - this is the first car based one I have seen that makes sense.

Will update once the dealer has seen it.

Firstly - thanks for all the

If they had two Skodas maybe they could have swapped it however I didn't find anything on the card which locks it to the car - its a simple, ordinary SD card with a sticker on it.

It is not an ordinary SD card. The SEAT guys on their forum were running a thread earlier this year about hacking the card. They were also in contact with their Dutch counterparts who were trying the same thing. The driver for this was that SEAT did not give free updates - they were charged something like £150-120 per update. The fact that VW and Skoda were getting the updates free for 3 years rankled. To cut a long story short they hit a dead end. But their conclusion was that the SD card has a small protected area that is not touched by the reformat process. There was a lot more interesting info they uncovered but it was not 100% resolved if the SD card is tied to a specific vehicle. It is suspected that it is. Their protection system seems to be quite sophisticated and I believe it may be based on Garmins.

All this is somewhat of academic interest at the moment but could become of significance from March 2016 when Skoda may also begin charging for updates.

You are right to take it back to the dealer but I would advise you just tell them that the sat nav has not worked from day 1. I would not go into the ins and outs of how you have tried to fix it. These cards CAN be bricked but I suspect you may have either had a duff or incorrect card since the start. Either way its their problem

Edited by Minimoke
  • Like 1

Plus, as mentioned, make sure the music you put on the card is taken off, and dont mention that to the dealer. It seems obvious, but just a reminder to make sure its not on the card anymore.

The dealer would just use it as an excuse to not do anything.

Firstly - thanks for all the replies.

I took the plunge last evening and reformatted the original card according to the instructions and added the update files - I also did a fresh "full" download which took all night hence the delay in replying. I updated it using Windows 7 (no messing with the partitions or anything else).

Plugged it and followed the instructions on how to update it and it again says "insert media with..." :envy:  

So I've given up.

It goes back tomorrow AM with Mrs A.

A slight funny - Mrs A asked me for the postcode of the dealer so she could find it... er... :notme:

No idea if the previous owner swapped cards, the packaging seems original, the card has the Skoda stickers on it and came in the original DVD style case.

The company I work for buys cards in bulk for customer use and the makers change the specs often based on what components are available and cheap - e.g. 1GB chips are no longer available so ours are now 2GB, 4GB and so on.

Yep.

I can also add some music tracks and they play really well in either slot. I did the same with another card and the music is good there too.

The media player is very good - I have an older Audi and the media player in it is cr@p compared to this - this is the first car based one I have seen that makes sense.

Will update once the dealer has seen it.

I thought you just needed to put the SD card back in the slot and it will just use the new files on it. No update is required is it? Well mine didn't do an update anyway.

I think the OP is confusing updating software with updating maps, hence the message "insert media"

Hopefully the dealer will sort it out for him.

If i understood the OP correctly, he said the SD card was not being read by the Amundsen, so decided to apply the latest map updates from the website (like we have all done), hoping that would make a difference. Of course, this was highly unlikely, and so it has proven.

SD card seemingly not being read, so, back to dealers in goes.

To me it seems like you have taken the odd word literally, and so assume he is doing something wrong. Instead of assuming he has done everything as it should be, and its just the odd word he has written to your dislike.

Certainly i understood what was being said.

Edited by JungleJames

Just trying to make sure that they are following the instructions for the Amundsen and not the Columbus. For the Amundsen you just put the card in. You don't have to do anything in terms of an update at all.

To the OP - are you saying that from day 1 of collecting the car there has been no navigation function available at all?

If i understood the OP correctly, he said the SD card was not being read by the Amundsen, so decided to apply the latest map updates from the website (like we have all done), hoping that would make a difference. Of course, this was highly unlikely, and so it has proven.

SD card seemingly not being read, so, back to dealers in goes.

To me it seems like you have taken the odd word literally, and so assume he is doing something wrong. Instead of assuming he has done everything as it should be, and its just the odd word he has written to your dislike.

Certainly i understood what was being said.

On the Amundsen there are two options, one is to update the software, and this needs the update files to be on the SD card, the other is to update the maps, and to do this you download zipped files, unzip them and copy the results to the SD card, when the SatNav starts up it uses the new map info.

To help people we have to offer advice based on what they write, not on what we think they might have done.

When I updated my SatNav I took the SD card out of the unit, went indoors, made a backup of the card contents, copied the new info onto the card, put the card back into the Nav and turned back on, then you check in settings to see what map version you are using. No "update" request from the unit.

Just trying to make sure that they are following the instructions for the Amundsen and not the Columbus. For the Amundsen you just put the card in. You don't have to do anything in terms of an update at all.

To the OP - are you saying that from day 1 of collecting the car there has been no navigation function available at all?

Thats what he said. Card went in, and Amundsen couldnt read it.

He then made sure the card had the latest map updates, chucked it into the car again, and the Amundsen still couldnt read it

On the Amundsen there are two options, one is to update the software, and this needs the update files to be on the SD card, the other is to update the maps, and to do this you download zipped files, unzip them and copy the results to the SD card, when the SatNav starts up it uses the new map info.

To help people we have to offer advice based on what they write, not on what we think they might have done.

When I updated my SatNav I took the SD card out of the unit, went indoors, made a backup of the card contents, copied the new info onto the card, put the card back into the Nav and turned back on, then you check in settings to see what map version you are using. No "update" request from the unit.

But it was clear. Problem is, because he may have put it one or two words that you may not have written, you got lost.

Card was updated, and it still didnt work.

True, but hasn't actually said if this was from Day 1 or not.

It does look very much like a goosed card, or a non original, or one for a different head unit. Especially as the OP has also said it was a Columbus unit and that the case that the card came in said Columbus on it, there is no wonder that people are asking again to clarify exactly what has happened.