Is 80k miles high for a 07reg oct?

Paulbrown

I'd say no not at all it's 7yr old so works out about 11,500 per year, that's about the normal average I think anyway.

I bought my 56 plate with 70,000 miles on she it was 4yrs old, had full comprehensive service history. It's now got 180,000 on and has been an excellent car.

• Like 1

I've never understood why "low mileage" is such a great selling point. I'd much rather a (cheaper) ex rep-mobile that's spent most of it's days in cruise control on the motorways, with the engine getting up to temperature, dpf regenerating etc than Mrs miggins' 1,000 miles a year car that spends it's life being bounced over the speed bumps at tesco and the pot holes in there church car park, has all the emissions gear clogged up, a rusty exhaust, mayo in the oil etc because it never gets up to operating temperature...

• Like 1

Sold my 07 VRS TFSI recently with 83k on the clock. I was concerned about the bodywork and rust protection (big thread in the Octy 2 forum) but mechanically the car felt perfectly sound. I'd have had no worries about the engine doing the same miles again.

Mine was serviced annually at fixed intervals.

If the one you're looking at has FSH then it should be fine. Normal risks around buying second hand apply obviously.

Buy on Condition and Confirmed Service History & Part Replacement.

& what you are happy paying.

Also on the comparisons you can make on vehicles in the area you are prepared to travel within to buy a car.

'Asking Prices' are just that, offer what you want, or need to buy a vehicle.

Average Mileages count for nothing, averages come from highs and lows,

You might be better with a 20,000 mile a year car, rather than one driven by me doing 5,000 miles,

or my mums doing 1,000 miles per annum for 3 years, & battered on every outing with me.

george

What about the cost tho that about right?

Personally I'd have said £6k for an 80k VRS is too much BUT

I know mine went on the used car lot for about £5800 and sold within two weeks.

I got £4200 as a trade in which I thought was ok tbh. Shows what I know.

So 80k about right?

The cars up for just under 6k but it's the right colour the right shape and spec...

£6k is too much I had my 05 valued at £3600 trade in when I bought the Blackline so I decided to keep it although I would expect to get more private as its mint condition

I would say £6K is way too much. you could get a FL 09-10 for that.

That's only just run in.

Im on my 5th Skoda now and I have had my Superb for around 22 months and it has just gone over 82,000 mile.

Good grief you must cover some Tarmac!

I think 80k on a 7 year old car is about right. Is it a diesel did you say? If so, not a problem it will have plenty of life in it still.

Don't forget the cam belt will need to be changed in the next forty thousand miles or so. Bought my mk1 Fabia with just under eighty thousand on it, at seven years old too.

JRJG

Edited by Jrjg

A question to the OP would be how many miles a year do you plan to do in it?

How long do you expect to keep the car for?

80,000 miles is not as bad as it sounds for a modern diesel but if you are covering high mileage and need the car to last several more years I'd be looking for something with lower mileage.

I've only recently bought an '07 on 80k, so doesn't seem uncommon or unusual mileage - mines a diesel too, so would have expected slightly higher for age, based on other diesel VAG motors I'd checked out.

Just under 6k isn't far off what i paid either on a private sale - seemed to be a few around about that price (5.5-6k) and all 56-57 plated cars.

Good grief you must cover some Tarmac!

I think 80k on a 7 year old car is about right. Is it a diesel did you say? If so, not a problem it will have plenty of life in it still.

Don't forget the cam belt will need to be changed in the next forty thousand miles or so. Bought my mk1 Fabia with just under eighty thousand on it, at seven years old too.

JRJG

I usually do around 50,000 a year but had some time off sick and not doing as much since the mother in law passed away.

I bought a new 59 plate Octy vRS TDi 'CR' face lift, and did over 125k in 2 years and 11 months. It never missed a beat in all that time. Although the the week before it went it did pop it's water pump...

I used to think mileage was everything, but no longer.

Recently bought a 70k 1.2 Fabia for my son with fsh. The car is fantastic. It uses no oil and runs like a dream.

Researching on the Internet shows there are so many cars out there with incredibly high mileage.

History and servicing schedule are the key factors in my opinion. 80k is not, of itself, an issue.

My 52 plate Octy vRS had done about 145K when I traded it in 2011. It was still a lovely car, but the last few years of ownership were a nightmare of having to constantly replace parts that had worn out - I think I averaged about £2K a year on non-service items (and not counting tyres) over the last 3 years of ownership. Ironically, it was driving like new again when I got rid of it - but you just don't know what else is going to go wrong.

A look on the op's profile & posts suggests he has bought a petrol vrs. 

You must get to see more than me as a Freedom member.

All I see is that he is from York and is looking to buy, not yet bought...

• Like 1