What was the best MK2 Fabia model?

After 7 years of mk2 production I wondered what people thought was the best model of Fabia ŠKODA made.

This doesn’t necessarily mean the fastest or the best equipped but a model that sums up what the Fabia should have been in one model

So to get started I’ll suggest a few:-

• 1.2 (60bhp) S or 1 – Offered a cheap and basic car which is what ŠKODA should be about.
  • 1.2 TDI Greenline II – Very economical and low emission car which made cheap to run.
  • Mote Carlo – Sporty looks without the high running and purchase costs of a hot hatch.
  • Elegance – Higher spec level with a wide choice of engines to suit the customer’s needs.
  • vRS – Offered good value performance with the advantage of being available in a practical body styles and being a vRS it is a "Halo Model" for the Fabia .

My personal choice would be my ex’s 2011 SE Plus 1.6 TDI (105BHP).

It had a good level of standard equipment with equipment  that was useful rather than gimmicky. It felt that it was good value without being a compromise spec model.

The diesel engine offered really good mid-range punch which made it a very good motorway cruiser as well as a nippy town car.

I really liked the VRS for the three years we had, good fun and we got good money for it when we sent it back.  Also had a 1.2 105bhp courtesy car in there for a few days and found that great fun on its skinny tyres  :giggle:

I think my build thread might give the game away

:)

I see what you mean brilliant economy and torque power in a small hatch.

The formula that made the original vRS such a popular car.

• Like 1

vRS estate. The Mk2 looks best in an estate form and with the cracking motor and gear box up front it's a winner in my books.

vRS Estate. Quick, cheap to buy, cheap to run and very practical. If you have a non-oil user then happy days.

I'm surprised that a vRS is regarded as the model that is the best model to represent the Fabia.

I've advised my mother to order a vRS so I think its a brilliant little car and it is good value for money for what it is. (Well I hope it is seeing the first test drive she will have in a vRS will be when she picks it up.)

But comparing it with the other models it is over £2000 more expensive that the higher spec Elegance models.

To most people ŠKODA still means cheap but we all know this isn't the case anymore.

So maybe buying a lower spec Fabia means people are buying into part of the halo model.

Edited by AJR77

I think you'll find that there will still be many basic spec/low spec 1.2 3-pots driving around long after virtually all the vrs's are in the scrapyard.

The engines that take the most neglect in their stride are the survivors...and only the survivors will be remembered.

• Like 3

I would like to throw a curve ball and suggest the 1.6 petrol in elegance guise . Never gets mentioned and not particularly economical or emission friendly but bombproof engine and very nice car to drive you will see these knoccking around in 20 years.

• Like 1

I would like to throw a curve ball and suggest the 1.6 petrol in elegance guise . Never gets mentioned and not particularly economical or emission friendly but bombproof engine and very nice car to drive you will see these knoccking around in 20 years.

It's shame that car manufactures can't make simple designed engines anymore.

With emissions and fuel economy legislation forcing engines to be complex pieces of electronics.

I guess cars are now get scrapped for having costly electronic management failures before any rust or mechanical issues makes repairs uneconomical.

Yes, I have the Tiptronic version and can vouch for how good this motor is. Mine is the estate and it just goes and goes. 105ps and absolutely nothing complex about it and a diy'ers dream. No cam belt, no turbo, reasonable economy on a run 50...ish to the gallon if not in too much of a hurry (60mph). Engine has to rev for performance, but it goes well enough. The gearbox is setup to allow it to get maximum torque quite quickly when you need it. Nice low revs when cruising in 6th.  Poor economy in town compared to the 1.2TSI engines but we manage an overall 36-40mpg around our urban area during the week with some small amount of mixed town driving. So not too bad. And as andy says, it'll last for ever pretty much. It gets my vote!

Isn't the 1.2 basically the same engine as 1.6 but with 1 less cylinder?

The 1.2htp is my choice good balance of economy, price, running cost, reliable, good in town and on the open road. The only compromise is the low fuel consumption at higher speeds 70mph+ on the pre fl models, I believe the fl models have higher gearing in the top gear.. It suits most people's needs.

I've owned the 1.9 TdiPD (mk1), the 1.2 HTP 70 and now have the 1.2 Tsi Elegance DSG which in my view is far better than the other two.

The 1.2 Tsi is a great combination of performance and economy and linked to the DSG7 box it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. :happy:

Were I to be magic'd back 30 years I would definitely go for the Vrs. :yes:

Harry.

Hi, for me I would opt for the 1.9tdi elegance, the engine in mine was bombproof, easily managed 50+ mpg, never used any oil in my ownership, downside....... well know problems with lecy windows and 'poorish' ride on the low profile tyres, major downside is my car and me parted company yesterday ( someone is going to pick up a cracking car ) BUT I'm now proud to own a 2009 1.9 tdi Octavia elegance estate.........