got the dreaded M.O.T today!

Ask around dodgy MOT places and you may find a place that offers a so called "fast pass" going rate £60 to £80, £60 will generally get you a dodgy certificate with no merit, £80 will get you a real test and point out what would of failed in the form of advisories, then leaving you with the knowledge of what you should do to your car to meet MOT standards, but giving the luxury of time to sort it out while you enjoy a valid certificate, I can't for legal reasons tell you where to find such a place that's willing to offer such a great service, but ask around enough and maybe you will get lucky.

Just started the test.....thought my smokey ccv mod was an exhaust leak at first lol.

Don't do dodgy mots. Not worth it imo, of it fails then so be it and I'll fix it myself, give the car to Skoda or just get rid lol.

Just started the test.....thought my smokey ccv mod was an exhaust leak at first lol.

Don't do dodgy mots. Not worth it imo, of it fails then so be it and I'll fix it myself, give the car to Skoda or just get rid lol.

Well that's the thing, if your given the knowledge of what would have failed then its on your own back to fix, would you rather be told what's wrong with your car with a Pass Certificate, or be told what's wrong with your car with a Fail, ether way you have the option to get it sorted, only one option puts time pressure on you and may force you to drive round illegally and uninsured just hoping you don't wind up getting pulled up before you have chance to fix it, the other takes that burned and give you both time and a legal and insured car to drive around in.

If he's pointing out fails then it shouldn't be on the road at all. It's for the safety of others as well as the owners.

If they passed a car will illegal tyres and one burst and killed a car full of people is this still ok to do then?

The rules are for a reason. Saying it puts pressure on the driver so they might drive illegally is ridiculous! They have a responsibility to maintain the car. A pass will give them a chance to say "I'll do it tomorrow" and never will.

• Like 1

If he's pointing out fails then it shouldn't be on the road at all. It's for the safety of others as well as the owners.

If they passed a car will illegal tyres and one burst and killed a car full of people is this still ok to do then?

The rules are for a reason. Saying it puts pressure on the driver so they might drive illegally is ridiculous! They have a responsibility to maintain the car. A pass will give them a chance to say "I'll do it tomorrow" and never will.

Well maybe that explains why you never get offered this type of service, because anyone stupid enough to need an MOT test to tell them they need new tyres or breaks does not deserve such offers, if my tyres or breaks where gone then they would be changed well before it went into MOT, 

However you look at it a dodgy mot is illegal and morally wrong. If I was offered one I'd turn it down. I'd hate myself if I'd have one then before I could get it sorted something goes wrong and I hurt or kill someone.

• Like 2

Well that's the thing, if your given the knowledge of what would have failed then its on your own back to fix, would you rather be told what's wrong with your car with a Pass Certificate, or be told what's wrong with your car with a Fail, ether way you have the option to get it sorted, only one option puts time pressure on you and may force you to drive round illegally and uninsured just hoping you don't wind up getting pulled up before you have chance to fix it, the other takes that burned and give you both time and a legal and insured car to drive around in.

Well maybe that explains why you never get offered this type of service, because anyone stupid enough to need an MOT test to tell them they need new tyres or breaks does not deserve such offers, if my tyres or breaks where gone then they would be changed well before it went into MOT,

most people that want dodgy mots are dodgy owners that have no intention of fixing the faults and want a fresh mot to sell the car on.

atleast now we all know if you advertise a car for sale on here potential buyers need to check it with a fine tooth comb, thanks for the heads up :)

• Like 1

most people that want dodgy mots are dodgy owners that have no intention of fixing the faults and want a fresh mot to sell the car on.

atleast now we all know if you advertise a car for sale on here potential buyers need to check it with a fine tooth comb, thanks for the heads up :)

Trust me, one look at the condition my car is in and you would want it, only problem is short of some ridiculous offer of say £5000 for a 2004 vrs with 115000 on the clock, then its not for sale lol.

Or maybe you have a couple of suspension fails, like bust cover on a ball joint hence new ball joint and a split busher, only problem is you don't want to just change those parts and waste money on a fast fix when your only a few weeks off changing the entire suspension all the bushes damper and springs, then a fast pass is the perfect option.

Mine passed the other day, only advisories were an oil leak (think this is from the rocker cover gasket which I fixed but never bothered to clean the engine up) and "under body panels obscuring some under body components"?! Which I really don't understand...

Mine passed the other day, only advisories were an oil leak (think this is from the rocker cover gasket which I fixed but never bothered to clean the engine up) and "under body panels obscuring some under body components"?! Which I really don't understand...

UNDER BODYPANELS .......... means  that they can't look under the engine lower tray ,as they're not allowed to remove it. Some can be touchy ,i've had that one last year and another for not being able to test rear seat belt as baby seat fitted. I'm waiting with interest to see what comes up this year , perhaps cant access spare, mobility scooter in upper boot" :notme: :notme:

Mine passed the other day also.

To clarify, CAT's are NOT needed ! Main dealer MOT and passed no problem

CATs are required, even on diesels from last year on.if you pass without your lucky :)

Even though the diesel is not emission checked it states if a cat is fitted as standard it must be there.

Erm, no. I'd rather your ****box without working brakes was off the road entirely, thanks. No one 'forces' you to drive without insurance or an MOT.

I don't think there's any more encouragement needed beyond 'you can't drive that lump of scrap until you fix it'.

I couldn't care less if you went sailing over the edge of a cliff as your droplinks are held on by a mm of rust, but it's an entirely different ball game when others lives are at stake. If an MOT place gave me a pass but said my tyres are bald, I would report them to VOSA as I'd not want some idiot they passed crashing into me and killing my family.

PS: not meant at anyone in particular, the You being anyone in general who feels the need to use such services.

• Like 2

So this Killershark chap not only has no insurance, because he advises a great way to save money is not to declare any modifications, but he also has to have a dodgy MOT because he obviously owns a shed.

What a hero :thumbup:

Does this look like a shed to you IMG_20130714_205236.jpg

My breaks are less than 3 weeks old, they are Brembo Disc and Pads, Grooved and vented and thats to an upgrade of callipers and carriers, really designed to stop the octavia vrs, and the MOT is next due in October, can you honestly state the same about your cars safely?

And for what its worth yea its just had new pads and discs, but truth is in only really needed the pads, I just gave it new discs cos I wanted to change from drilled and vented to grooved and vented even though the old discs where fine and probably twice as good as the average car that has just drove out an MOT station with a pass 

Just happens I know a few dodgy, but the best part is these dodgy places from do the best work on your car and don't charge you the world.

Does this look like a shed to you - Yes, because you openly admit you're happy to use dodgy garages to do the "best" work on the cheap.

My breaks are less than 3 weeks old, they are Brembo Disc and Pads, Grooved and vented and thats to an upgrade of callipers and carriers, really designed to stop the octavia vrs, and the MOT is next due in October, can you honestly state the same about your cars safely? - Firstly, cars have brakes not breaks. Maybe very picky, but it speaks volumes I think and yes, I can very much state that my cars are very safe, particularly my Rover as it gets scrutinered at  every motorsport event I compete in. If it wasn't safe, I wouldn't be allowed to the start line. If something breaks, I fix it and it has a genuine MOT.

And for what its worth yea its just had new pads and discs, but truth is in only really needed the pads, I just gave it new discs cos I wanted to change from drilled and vented to grooved and vented even though the old discs where fine and probably twice as good as the average car that has just drove out an MOT station with a pass - Good for you.

Just happens I know a few dodgy, but the best part is these dodgy places from do the best work on your car and don't charge you the world. - Ooooo, dodgy mechanic fwends :clap:

• Like 1

A good few years ago I had a cheap run around that went in for its MOT, which failed miserably due to all sorts of reported issues. I had just had 2 new Michelin tyres put on it not long before as well as taxed it for 6 months, and the work to rectify the cars condition would have cost twice what it was worth if it done to the standard of where I took it to.

In a rush (while it still had a few weeks of valid MOT left on it), I sold the car dirt cheap to someone local. About a week or two later it was advertised down the road from me for three times the price I sold it for, with 12 months MOT on it. 

I was unemployed at the time, and due to it not passing its MOT and getting rid, I couldn't afford a car for two years after that. So needless to say I was fairly chuft about it not sailing through and being mobile for another 12 months. 

Not sure what the moral of the story is, but I wish I'd have known somewhere that would of just slapped a new MOT on it. 

Does this look like a shed to you IMG_20130714_205236.jpg

My breaks are less than 3 weeks old, they are Brembo Disc and Pads, Grooved and vented and thats to an upgrade of callipers and carriers, really designed to stop the octavia vrs, and the MOT is next due in October, can you honestly state the same about your cars safely?

And for what its worth yea its just had new pads and discs, but truth is in only really needed the pads, I just gave it new discs cos I wanted to change from drilled and vented to grooved and vented even though the old discs where fine and probably twice as good as the average car that has just drove out an MOT station with a pass 

Just happens I know a few dodgy, but the best part is these dodgy places from do the best work on your car and don't charge you the world.

I don't care how safe you think your car is, if you're driving around with undeclared mods and you hit someone, your insurance is void. If I were the other driver, I'd want to wring your neck. I don't know whether that thread you started was a joke or not, but it was bloody stupid either way.

Besides, when we're talking about cars, it's pretty easy to polish a turd. Might look nice on the outside, but with the dodgy MOTs you seem to have confessed to having had done, who knows what your car is like underneath? Probably not that safe if you feel the need to get some dodgy garage to do your MOT rather than have it done properly.

Edited by samj2013
  • Like 1