Space saver wheel for VRS as dealer accessory

If someone wants to have a good laugh and thinks Skoda buyers have it bad, the minimum price of a spare wheel on a SEAT Leon Cupra is... £1,285!

Because the configurator won't let you add it (£100) without also adding the SEAT Sound System (£255) which then requires their equivalent of the Columbus (£930).

However, I somewhat doubt the salesman would force that through the system.

its total nonsence for any new car to come without a spare wheel in my opinion

I used to have a Focus CC so a spare wheel wasn't even a cost-option.

What the manufacturers don't tell you is the can of whipped cream and compressor only lasts a couple of years so it's "ker-ching" time when you have a service.

Plus most breakdown policies insist you have a "serviceable spare wheel" if you call them out for a puncture.

Yes, I wonder how many of those who say they don't need a spare because breakdown companies have them have managed to get one from them without paying for it. I also wonder how long they are willing to negotiate over the price on a cold night with screaming kids in the car.

A spare is always an option, even if it's bagged and strapped to the side of the boot.

• Like 1

Yes, I wonder how many of those who say they don't need a spare because breakdown companies have them have managed to get one from them without paying for it. I also wonder how long they are willing to negotiate over the price on a cold night with screaming kids in the car.

A spare is always an option, even if it's bagged and strapped to the side of the boot.

I've just dug out my invoice; my spare wheel for the vRS cost me £62.50 plus VAT, I reckon it's the best £75 I've spent even if I never use it.

• Like 1

I've just dug out my invoice; my spare wheel for the vRS cost me £62.50 plus VAT, I reckon it's the best £75 I've spent even if I never use it.

Same here, it's a no brainer when ordering a new car.

Was looking for something else on the below site, but came across this. Might be worth contacting the parts dept. next week.

http://www.simpsonsskodaparts.co.uk/product/Octavia_Spare_Wheel_Kit_%28L%26K%2C_vRS%2C_%26_Scout%29_1Z0601011AKIT

They've just got back to me - this won't fit the current Octavia VRS....but they have offered to sell me a full size spare.

My eBay space saver is due tomorrow - think I'm gonna get a full size as well and if it fits, return the space saver.

The plot thickens - my email to the Skoda UK CEO prompted a response. I was contacted today by their executive office and they were very surprised to hear about the problem and have gone away to research why this is. I'm due a response later this week.

In other news, Simpsons were very helpful but can't provide anything other than a Gemini wheel which they've said won't perfectly fit in the tyre well and will charge £475 for the privilege. I think its clear now the dealer network can do nothing but sell customers another Gemini rim.

eBay space saver due to arrive tomorrow - hope it fits.

• Like 2

Hi

I have 18 inch wheels on my elegance , are they the same as standard wheels on a VRS ?? My part numbers are.....

Full size spare on steel wheel  part no 5Q0601011B

Jack ect.  part no SE0093860

Pete

eBay space saver turned up - perfect fit on the front so I assume the back is all good. This is the one I purchased so if others are looking for a space saver for their VRS, you can buy this with confidence. I also bought this Jack and this wheel brace to go with it. Both work a treat. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice - very much appreciated.

14836176744_8c8ec0414e_n.jpg

I plan to continue with this escalation with Skoda UK now I have their attention. I want to see where that goes.

Had a slight embarrassing incident when changing the wheel. I got distracted and I didn't jack the front of the car up enough before I took off the wheel nuts off. What a pratt. :envy:  The wheel popped off with the bottom of the brake disk resting on the inside of the rim. I can't see any damage other than the inside of the rim is scraped a bit. Thankfully it doesn't notice outside. I took the car for a 10 mile test drive with the Gemini back on. Steering wheel under normal driving or braking doesn't shake so I guess the brake disc isn't warped or unaligned. Brakes work fine under light and heavy braking. Drives absolutely fine with no issues so fingers crossed.

Anything I should worry about? I plan to take it down to the local tyre place where they do free brake and tyre inspections before we go to France for piece of mind. 

• Like 2

Had a slight embarrassing incident when changing the wheel. I got distracted and I didn't jack the front of the car up enough before I took off the wheel nuts off. What a pratt. :envy: The wheel popped off with the bottom of the brake disk resting on the inside of the rim.

You aren't the only one to do that I hate to admit. However wasn't on a Octavia it was on my work van.

The wasn't any damage to the disc and I got the garage to inspect it when I took it for the tyre to be changed the next day.

Just had my update with the Skoda UK exec office - the reason why Skoda UK cannot supply official aftermarket spare wheels for the VRS is that the factory won't release (approve?) them for use in an aftermarket capacity. Cause unknown and clarification about why this is is ongoing. 

I am due another update early next week. Skoda UK understand the need to supply customers with a solution and this process has been kicked off.

• Like 3

No worries - I hope it can be resolved for everyone.

I fit the space saver in the boot tonight. It fits no problem but because I don't have the official foam insert, the boot floor caves in under the slightest weight. Chances of buying a foam insert are low I guess. Gonna trawl through eBay and see if an insert from another 18" space saver would do the job. Might have to knock up an MDF solution of my own.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Great advice here.

I'm picking up my VRS tomorrow and reading through this, can't believe that SUK don't do a spare! I do a lot of motorway miles and don't want to be stuck with an inflation kit!

I am looking at picking up an 18" wheel, even the turini is reasonable(ish) and fitting a tyre. The only down side is the VRS has 19" wheels and there will be a slight diameter difference, but it will get me home or to a tyre fitters.

Great advice here.

I'm picking up my VRS tomorrow and reading through this, can't believe that SUK don't do a spare!

This do, it's a very reasonable £75 option when you order the car.

• Like 1

I am looking at picking up an 18" wheel, even the turini is reasonable(ish) and fitting a tyre. The only down side is the VRS has 19" wheels and there will be a slight diameter difference, but it will get me home or to a tyre fitters.

A 225/40 R18 tyre has a rolling radius of 8.74mm less than a 225/35 R19 (-0.45%), which equates to a -0.31mph difference at 70mph.

Be interesting therefore to know what, if any, effect on handling that may have?

Hi all,

The plot thickens even more...

My neighbour who's got a Toyota Celica amongst other cars.

Just got back from having a chat with the lads at Watford Tyre Brigade. Who do all my tyres for the vehicles In the family, also through work I'm their account manager.

Asked them about the issues with tyres for the VRS and discussions on Briskoda.

They say ok the tyre drops from 225 40 18 to 205 55 16, but the tyre will still fit. Aparantly the BMW's come with 18's low profile and 16 spares.

Confused.com of Watford, all though I trust the lads and the forum with everyone's comments.

Do I stick with the spare tyre kit in the car or try to get my cash back from the stealer for supplying a incorrect item.

Regards

Brian

The thought had occurred that if you had a flat on one of the fronts, you could just swap one of the rears to the front and then put the 16" spare on the rear to replace it. It should fit on the rear.

Bit of a faff but it would work.

• Like 1

The thought had occurred that if you had a flat on one of the fronts, you could just swap one of the rears to the front and then put the 16" spare on the rear to replace it. It should fit on the rear.

Bit of a faff but it would work.

You can do this....but imagine the scene - late night on a motorway, pi55ing down with rain and you left your coat at home.  Front tyre's flat and SWMBO's just had her hair done so there's no way she's getting out to help.

So having emptied the boot anyway (can't avoid that one unfortunately) you then have to jack up the rear, replace the tyre, then do the same at the front all in the dark with no one holding the torch (you know the one - you meant to replace the batteries last month but never got round to it)...........

:)