Columbus Sat Nav - are they having a laugh?

When I bought my car, I had firmware 4120 and maps 7690 (v8).

I recently updated the maps to 8048 (v10).  The dealer wanted £199.50, but I bought a DVD on eBay and updated them myself.  I'll sell on the DVD and hopefully recover most of my cost.  The firmware is OK and doesn't need updating.

I wanted to update the maps as I found last year that most of the motorway from the German border to Warsaw wasn't on them, but they're on v10.  I'm going away on 28 August and will be driving to Lithuania and it's useful to have the maps up to date.  The western Europe maps go as far as Poland and I've got eastern Europe on DVD (also v10) to use once I cross into Lithuania.

If you are going to sell your map DVD, then I could be interested in buying it.

DC

If you are going to sell your map DVD, then I could be interested in buying it.

DC

I'm sorry but I've already sold it on ebay, I'm now in Poland and the maps are working fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Pembrokeshire for the weekend, and on the drive across, the sat nav just decided it couldn't be arsed to give me directions anymore. Was unable to recommend a route anymore, it told me, just before the Severn crossing. It picked up the route again when I got past Swansea.

It wasn't like the nav wasn't working anymore, as it would still route other destinations perfectly well in the meantime.

Then, because I'd made such good time over the first 170 miles, it decided to send me down single track lanes for the last 5 miles, instead of taking me along the A road that passes my destination.

Absolutely bonkers.

Edited by JakeBlade

Ta!

That gives me HW 10

SW 5238

Map 7918

How up-to date (or not) am I and, if out of date, bearing in mind the car is only three months old - what am I entitled to?

Edited by Mph25

Ta!

That gives me HW 10

SW 5238

Map 7918

How up-to date (or not) am I and, if out of date, bearing in mind the car is only three months old - what am I entitled to?

The latest maps are v11 which were released in June this year. Your maps are v9 which are from 2012 so a good bit out of date. Not sure what you're entitled to as most dealers seem pretty clueless when it comes to the map updates.

Best bet is to either find a nearby member with v11 maps and meet up or download or purchase a copy of the new maps yourself and install them.

I have v11 if you're ever in the Sheffield area. ;)

I've not updated mine since i bought it in 2009 !

We have nicknamed ours Columbo , it works like the bumbling detective often going wrong along the way but gets there in the end :)

Truth be told its as good as the portable Tom Tom i have but on long trips i do use both and let them fight it out

I've a 12 plate Superb and use the shat nav quite a bit for work, pleasure and holiday to France. Can honestly say it's spot on. I've used a TomTom app and a TomTom unit and prefer the Columbus. I have dynamic routes enables but turn off the voice and follow the map (unless I'm in a tricky place like London). Only annoying but was the old bird piping up every 5 mins when I'm using the hands free kit. Used to really annoy those on the other end!