Stone Chips after 6months!

DarrellGB

Giving the car a good clean and noticed quite a lot of little stone chips on the bonnet. I didn't have this many on my Mazda after 5 years and 80000 miles!

Has anyone else seen this? If so is this a warranty issue seeing as the paint should wear better than it is?

Think I've got one tiny chip on the bonnet after almost a year and one or two on the front bumper.

Least with it being white they are well easy to touch up.

True, I was just thinking that if it's like this after 9000 miles, what's it going to be like at 43000 when I hand it back!

After three years with my last Yeti I had a total of one small chip on the front bumper,  but I always stay well back from the car in front and further back if they have no mud flaps, the condition of the roads now mean there is a lot more stones to get thrown at your pride and joy.

• Like 4

Lots of stones due to deteriorating road surfaces (and due to the council's cheap sprinkle stones on resurfacing techniques!) and also due to car paint getting thinner and softer over the years. Since they started using water based paints and stopped spraying new cars paint simply isn't as durable.

That sais, my Yeti is far less prone than the Merc I had before it. That was properly peppered with them - front, rear and roof - and it was only half the age and miles of the Yeti.

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

Mines just over 1 year old ( pre face lift ) whole body is in unmarked pristine con'd with the exception of the bonnet which has quite a few stone chips. Booked in for a respray when I return from hols, tried Skoda UK with no success.

Off topic a bit but 7K now on the clock and I've never had a engine loosen up so well, can get mid forties brim to brim without any concious effort.

• Like 1

Mines just over 1 year old ( pre face lift ) whole body is in unmarked pristine con'd with the exception of the bonnet which has quite a few stone chips. Booked in for a respray when I return from hols, tried Skoda UK with no success.

Off topic a bit but 7K now on the clock and I've never had a engine loosen up so well, can get mid forties brim to brim without any concious effort.

Agree with you on the engine, it's feeling better than ever with great mpg after 8000 miles.

Lots of stones due to deteriorating road surfaces (and due to the council's cheap sprinkle stones on resurfacing techniques!) and also due to car paint getting thinner and softer over the years. Since they started using water based paints and stopped spraying new cars paint simply isn't as durable.

That sais, my Yeti is far less prone than the Merc I had before it. That was properly peppered with them - front, rear and roof - and it was only half the age and miles of the Yeti.

Cheers

Rog

I'm surprised local authorities don't end up paying out on claims for car damage due to those loose chip surfaces!

Unfortunately the shape and height of the front doesn't help especially compared to your old Mazda.

Toying with the idea of getting it touched up and fitting one of those bonnet protectors, especially with winter on the way.

I'm surprised local authorities don't end up paying out on claims for car damage due to those loose chip surfaces!

If they don't pay for tyre damage from potholes I suspect we have little chance with stone chips...  Be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried - But I bet their get out is that they put signs up warning about the stones and telling you to do 20mph (on a de-restricted dual carriageway...).

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

Stone chips are inevitable. And we also have to put up with the loose studs that come off cheapo studded winter tyres every winter ...

• Like 1

I have a 2-mark-graze on the bumper where a large stone flicked and hit it, but pleased to report that after 6 months and 12,000 miles my candy-white bonnet has not picked up any stone chips.

It may well depend on where you live in the country, how many resurfaced roads you have been down (where they throw gravel onto tar and whatever doesn't set gets kicked up) and what vehicles you have been following.

Either way, after 12,000 miles my (low-fronted) Smart Roadster was virtually sandblasted, so I'm very pleased with the quality of the Skoda paint.

• Like 1

The worst stonechips mine has picked up have been from vehicles on the opposite carriageway, or from vehicles overtaking where there debris in the centre of the road - not nice when you can see a rock approaching and don't know where it's going to hit :( The Yeti has already picked up more chips on the front end (including a few on the leading edge of the roof) in just over two years/29K than my previous Octavia in over nine years/76K. I think part of that is down to the more modern paint not being as tough, and also the brick-shaped front end!

The windscreen has also picked up many more chips, though I'm not sure if the heated screens are just not as tough as glass as ordinary ones. Fortunately they are all very shallow (< 1mm) and none in my direct line of vision.

• Like 1

I have a 2-mark-graze on the bumper where a large stone flicked and hit it, but pleased to report that after 6 months and 12,000 miles my candy-white bonnet has not picked up any stone chips.

Or you just haven't seen them because the primer is white too...?

Cheers

Rog

If they don't pay for tyre damage from potholes I suspect we have little chance with stone chips... Be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried - But I bet their get out is that they put signs up warning about the stones and telling you to do 20mph (on a de-restricted dual carriageway...).

Cheers

Rog

Maybe if people took notice of the 20 mph signs instead of ignoring them it might help :-(

• Like 2

I got 2 chips on the same day, which was 3 days after buying the car on a trip to Scotland.

It can't be helped I'm afraid. Like others have said it's a bit of a lottery.

Or you could get one of those god awful bonnet bra's lol.

• Like 1

I have picked up a few chips, but nothing like the ones I got when some stupid woman

put her wire shopping basket down on the bonnet of my Ford Focus!! :devil:

I almost forgot the black windscreen pillar trim shattered when hit by a stone on M6.

Edited by gumdrop