Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Yep. Even found something to upgrade with the 1.4:

IMAG0169.jpg

Engine hoist? Nah. Engine stand? Nah. Knackard old wheelbarrow... that'll do! 

Stop crying Taylor, 1.4 MPIs are ****.

I did pause for a bit to have a prod around... seems it was loved at some point, Bosch Super 4 plugs... though they were in various states of decay. Most of the oil looks to be coming from the flywheel side, just under the spark plug. The plug from there was also nice and black. Lots of the nuts on the head were lose. From my little jolly yesterday I believe the timing chain my be lose causing the ticking, and something is causing a misfire at idle. Oh well, don't care, going in the bin :P

• Like 2

Yep. Even found something to upgrade with the 1.4:

IMAG0169.jpg

Engine hoist? Nah. Engine stand? Nah. Knackard old wheelbarrow... that'll do! 

Stop crying Taylor, 1.4 MPIs are ****.

I did pause for a bit to have a prod around... seems it was loved at some point, Bosch Super 4 plugs... though they were in various states of decay. Most of the oil looks to be coming from the flywheel side, just under the spark plug. The plug from there was also nice and black. Lots of the nuts on the head were lose. From my little jolly yesterday I believe the timing chain my be lose causing the ticking, and something is causing a misfire at idle. Oh well, don't care, going in the bin :p

Bahhh!!! They are cracking engines! the Head bolts are never done up massively tight (50Nm IIRC) so it may have been blowing slightly if they were loose. Which i would say causees more of a misfire then the chain being loose.

My 1.4 MPI had been run low on oil a few times and the chain was very slack (about 1" of play in/out) but never really misfired. 

Whats the crank seal like at the Chain end?

edit: also judging by the look of that header tank its overheated once or twice :P

• Like 1

Bahhh!!! They are cracking engines! the Head bolts are never done up massively tight (50Nm IIRC) so it may have been blowing slightly if they were loose. Which i would say causees more of a misfire then the chain being loose.

My 1.4 MPI had been run low on oil a few times and the chain was very slack (about 1" of play in/out) but never really misfired.

Who gives a **** it's going in the bin ;) good riddance of the MPI engine, not that I can talk having owner the 1.2 6v
  • Like 1

Who gives a **** it's going in the bin ;) good riddance of the MPI engine, not that I can talk having owner the 1.2 6v

I believe if you take the 1.4 MPI bore it out to 1.6, Skoda had IIRC about 150hp from one in their Felicia Rally car. 

Send it off to Taylor

I would love for him to have it, but he has to collect which I suspect he won't do :P

It will still work, despite being in a wheelbarrow. I was gentle :P

edit: also judging by the look of that header tank its overheated once or twice :p

The head bolts are the ones with the large hex right? Those buggers won't shift (I didn't try with a big bar though :P). I took the rocker cover off, and did take a lot of bolts/nuts out thinking the cover the plugs screw in to would come off, but then got bored and pulled it :P

Header tank is toast that's true.

• Like 1

In that case Dan keep it and I'll buy it ;) Taylor, fancy boreing a MPI engine

Lol what are you trying to say about me? haha :P

anyway, Dan it looks like your making great progress, keep it up! :)

• Like 2

I would love for him to have it, but he has to collect which I suspect he won't do :P

It will still work, despite being in a wheelbarrow. I was gentle :P

The head bolts are the ones with the large hex right? Those buggers won't shift (I didn't try with a big bar though :P). I took the rocker cover off, and did take a lot of bolts/nuts out thinking the cover the plugs screw in to would come off, but then got bored and pulled it :P

Fancy having it on the boot on a Welsh journey :giggle:
  • Like 1

I would love for him to have it, but he has to collect which I suspect he won't do :p

It will still work, despite being in a wheelbarrow. I was gentle :p

The head bolts are the ones with the large hex right? Those buggers won't shift (I didn't try with a big bar though :p). I took the rocker cover off, and did take a lot of bolts/nuts out thinking the cover the plugs screw in to would come off, but then got bored and pulled it :p

Do you mean the coil pack? that has two M6 bolts which hold it on underneath. 

Yea head has 14 Bolts IIRC 4 of one type, 10 of another (althought 1 of 10 is shorter than the other 9)

Do you mean the coil pack? that has two M6 bolts which hold it on underneath. 

Yea head has 14 Bolts IIRC 4 of one type, 10 of another (althought 1 of 10 is shorter than the other 9)

No, that came off easy enough.

On top of the engine there are some big hex bolts, and there are a few of the same under the rocker cover.

Are all the head bolts 13mm? I removed a lot of them but may have missed a few. Quite a few on the back which go through the manifolds.

when looking at the head, there are 4 along the front near the 4 spark plug holes (one length)

then there should be 10 more in two rows across the centre/rear of the head. all 14 are "Cap" head bolts.

I belive the bolts which hold the rocker arm down are hex heads. they should only be 25NM unless they have been torqued to FT

Edit:

Some maybe hidden by the oil splash guard but i didnt think that would stop you from removing the head

Must have missed a few...

May have a shot at it tomorrow as I could do with breaking the engine up to weigh it in (unless someone wants it :P)... 

If I struggle I'll take some pics.

Have a haynes for this engine but its at work :(

• Like 1

Fancy having it on the boot on a Welsh journey :giggle:

Must have missed a few...

May have a shot at it tomorrow as I could do with breaking the engine up to weigh it in (unless someone wants it :P)...

If I struggle I'll take some pics.

Have a haynes for this engine but its at work :(

I think ill pass considering a certain person has some 1.4 MPI Fabias sitting in his depot in london, which is a fiar bit closer. plus they are still in the cars haha

Remove the Rocker arm/bolts

Loosen the Head bolts

Remove the Alternator Support plate/mount (if fitted)

remove push rods

Remove the head bolts & Head

if you do... Pictures! take loads i wanna see!