Just ordered iPhone 6Plus

Macdemon

Apple discovers Aluminium isn't the same as cast iron -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/iphone-6-plus-bending-irate-apple-fans-report-new-smartphones-bending-in-pockets-9752204.html

Expect the new iPhone6 Titanium premium edition any time soon.

My only question is why anyone would spend the cost of an iPhone 6 on a mobile phone...  

I may be in a minority but I simply don't get it...   You can get something that does the same things for a fraction of the price and, personally, I have far better / more important things to spend such sums on.

My only question is why anyone would spend the cost of an iPhone 6 on a mobile phone...  

I may be in a minority but I simply don't get it...   You can get something that does the same things for a fraction of the price and, personally, I have far better / more important things to spend such sums on.

You could say the same about cars. Why would anyone spend £30k on a new Skoda when they could get something that does the same things for a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

You could say the same about cars. Why would anyone spend £30k on a new Skoda when they could get something that does the same things for a fraction of the price.

Fair point and maybe you’re right – but in terms of cars there are different levels of functionality (ie performance, driver involvement, roadholding, handling, equipment levels, design aesthetics, fit and finish etc.) and I don’t see how any of those translate to the iPhone…

Maybe it’s just me but I just don’t see the point of an iPhone – or even most smart phones if I’m honest…   the ability, basic design and materials are no greater than something that can be had for about £40 and there is no ‘personal involvement’ element at all…

As  I say – just my opinion

Design aesthetic, usability, speed and performance, build quality, reliability, price and choice of software, resale value, available accessories and so on and so forth.

All just as applicable to phones as they are cars. I totally get that these things aren't a priority for some customers and a fifty quid 'droid handset will do them just fine, but if you *do* appreciate the better performance of a high end phone then you'll like get more benefit from an i6 or S5.

• Like 2

Shiny shiny.

There is no practical reason to buy a top of the range phone from any manufacturer.

The car analogy is fair but the differences are even more marginal with phones. Proportionate to the price I suppose.

This might be of interest to some, showing the manufacturing cost of an iPhone 6.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/23/iphone-6-parts-cost-samsung-a8/

It doesn't include any of the development costs, which will be substantial, but shows that Apple are definitely in the right line of business.

The iPhone 5, 5C and 5S will all bend if you apply pressure at the weakest point on the casing (the volume and mute buttons). When the 5 came out, it was also suffering the same problem. People want thin and big and light, so the device becomes less resilient to bending. The Note3 is notably a lot thicker and heavier than a 6 plus so will always be less likely to bend.

If people handle these devices like they are intended they are fine, putting an £800 phone in a back pocket and sitting down, then its going to bend. Metal will not go back to its original shape like plastic. These large factor smartphones are intended to be placed into bags or top shirt pockets for instance, not trouser pockets.

• Like 1

The iPhone 5, 5C and 5S will all bend if you apply pressure at the weakest point on the casing (the volume and mute buttons). When the 5 came out, it was also suffering the same problem. People want thin and big and light, so the device becomes less resilient to bending. The Note3 is notably a lot thicker and heavier than a 6 plus so will always be less likely to bend.

If people handle these devices like they are intended they are fine, putting an £800 phone in a back pocket and sitting down, then its going to bend. Metal will not go back to its original shape like plastic. These large factor smartphones are intended to be placed into bags or top shirt pockets for instance, not trouser pockets.

Nope, the Note 3 is actually lighter than a 6 plus (168g vs 172g) and there's only a millimetre difference in thickness.

I disagree they can't go in trouser pockets either, I've carried large phones with me daily in front trouser pockets for the last three years including the much larger 6.44in Z Ultra without them bending.  If people carry devices in rear pockets then regardless of size they're more likely to damage them.

John