New tyres needed

fastestlouigie

I'm looking for a sturdy (i.e. completely nail/shard of metal resistant :notme: ) set of tyres for my 17" dolomite rims. They're 225/50 r17's. Whilst the Dunlop SP 01's I've had are fairly quiet and ok on fuel economy, they've worn quickly (over the past year since new I've done 18700 miles and the fronts are near the legal limit). As it's due the 20000 mile big service soon, I was thinking of swapping to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Now this is a summer tyre I believe but reviews give it good wet grip and they seem to be quiet . My questions are, how puncture resistant and hard-wearing are the Goodyears? Does anyone have them on their Yeti? If not, then suggestions for tyres under £130 fitted would be welcome please.

Edited by fastestlouigie

There are no completely nail/metal shard proof tyres. There are run flat tyres. Did you swap your tyres over? ie. fronts to rear/rear to front. I think your mileage versus wear isn't too bad, especially if they have only been on the front.

PS. Somebody will now probably say there are bullet proof tyres, which is true,but not for under £130.

Mine have done a similar mileage but have been rotated and swapped for winter tyres (which have done around 12,000 miles, and will go back on in a couple of weeks). Tread depth is around 3-4mm all round but I'll be looking to replace them before winter 2015, as I don't think they'll last until then - I don't plan on letting them go as far as the legal limit. The EfficientGrip Performance tyres are currently at the top of my list, though the Dunlops have been very good and no punctures in them so far; unlike my Nokian WR A3s winters which have picked up two punctures so far. What I would like is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s, but they aren't available in the Yeti 17" size (as far as I can tell).

I have Goodyear Vector 4Seasons 225-50-17 and they are wearing better than the original Dunlops and are good in heavy rain and brilliant in snow and ice. No complaints and no punctures.

As said above my vector 4 seasons on my last 110 4x4 had done 24k fronts had 5mm left rears nearly as new (never got round to swapping them),  had the same fitted to the current Yeti.

My first 1.2 tsi had the dunlops and at 18k the fronts needed replacing.  

• Like 1

I'm looking for a sturdy (i.e. completely nail/shard of metal resistant :notme: ) set of tyres for my 17" dolomite rims. They're 225/50 r17's. Whilst the Dunlop SP 01's I've had are fairly quiet and ok on fuel economy, they've worn quickly (over the past year since new I've done 18700 miles and the fronts are near the legal limit). As it's due the 20000 mile big service soon, I was thinking of swapping to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Now this is a summer tyre I believe but reviews give it good wet grip and they seem to be quiet . My questions are, how puncture resistant and hard-wearing are the Goodyears? Does anyone have them on their Yeti? If not, then suggestions for tyres under £130 fitted would be welcome please.

I put a set of Goodyear EGPs on the Yeti at the beginning of the summer and they've been fine.  Aesthetically I particularly like the rounded 'motorcycle' type edges they have, but more importantly they provide a great ride and seem much quieter than the original Pirelli P-Zeros that the car came with.  Also, I've not noticed that occasionally skipping of the rear when the car passes over a manhole cover that I occasionally experienced with the originals.  How they'll wear only time will tell, although I aim to switch to the winter alloys and tyres once the temp begins to consistently drop below 7 degrees.

I put four Nexen N8000 tyres on my Yeti instead of the Dunlops and have been very happy with them. Good grip, quiet and - best of all - great value at £80-ish per corner. Seem to be wearing well too. I think they're a good up and coming brand.

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

I have Goodyear Vector 4Seasons 225-50-17 and they are wearing better than the original Dunlops and are good in heavy rain and brilliant in snow and ice. No complaints and no punctures.

I also have a set of Vectors for the winter (using the OEM Contis for the summer to save the Vectors from the Greek summer heat) and can confirm that I am delighted with their wet weather / snow performance.

I think, however, that the OP has a very specific request, namely better resistance against punctures. Clearly there is no mass market tyre that will be completely nail / shard resistant, but I think that increasing a tyre's chances of resisting puncture depends on a variety of factors - I would suggest a stiff sidewall construction and "hard" rubber compound. In my experience neither of these is a characteristic of the Vectors. If anything, I can feel the sidewalls are quite a bit more compliant than my summer tyres, and I'm sure that the wet / snow performance is in large part due to a softer compound.

I think the OP's best bet would indeed be to look at summer tyres which -like for like- would have stiffer sidewalls and rubber than an all-season tyre. I'm afraid I don't have any specific suggestions between different brands / models.

Depending on how far you are willing to go to avoid punctures, I'm sure that AT tyres have even better characteristics in that aspect, as they're made to withstand sharp rocks and the like when going off-road. But, again, this would only serve to slightly increase your chances of avoiding puncture and would do nothing against a well-placed nail on the road.

There are no completely nail/metal shard proof tyres. There are run flat tyres. Did you swap your tyres over? ie. fronts to rear/rear to front. I think your mileage versus wear isn't too bad, especially if they have only been on the front.

PS. Somebody will now probably say there are bullet proof tyres, which is true,but not for under £130.

How about this stuff.....  www.phantom.uk.net

As said above my vector 4 seasons on my last 110 4x4 had done 24k fronts had 5mm left rears nearly as new (never got round to swapping them),  had the same fitted to the current Yeti.

My first 1.2 tsi had the dunlops and at 18k the fronts needed replacing.  

Same here - same tyres fitted 12 months/12,000 miles ago, still 5-6 mm of tread all-round.  This chunky tread might well offer a little bit of extra puncture resistance.  Whilst we never got the snow last winter, we got plenty of rain and I was amazed by how well these tyre would cut through standing water.  They have now survived the summer and whilst they do have a slightly noticeable 'tread shear' under hard cornering, the wife hasn't noticed it and the Yeti never really gets pushed into that sort of driving.  Besides, a bit of predictable side slip adds to the fun!

I managed nearly 30k miles on my front tyres, and the backs were still legal at 65k when the vehicle went back to the lease company.

The wear seems to slow as the tread depth left reduces. I expected to have to change the fronts imminently but they lasted ages until down to the 2.5mm when the lease company would authorise their replacement.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. SWMO has thrown her opinion into the mix and is now saying that funds are tighter than previously stated (she's the money expert in our household!)

The Nexen P8000 looks promising and I've found a seller who has them for £55 delivered per tyre. It seems to have average reviews when you check the German websites (why is it only them that seem to review tyres-come on WhatCar, AA etc.) I think that I'd have to offer a pretty convincing argument (probably around safety) to put to the Financial authority to convince her to go with something else that's getting on for three times the price of the Nexen.

Edited by fastestlouigie

I've just fitted Kleber Quadraxer all-seasons at a smidgeon over £100 a corner, fitted.  Feel good in sun and wet so far. 

Edit:  Graham says not available for Yeti 17" wheels.  Sorry...

Edited by Brijo

I've got the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance as summer tyres; they're standard fitment. They seem OK, and are definitely hard wearing and seem to get average-to-good rankings in the tyre tests. No issues in the wet. You get what you pay for.

However, when the time comes to replace them, I'll be looking for something with less focus on 'efficient', and more focus on handling and braking because that's what I always do.  

Both Yeti's I've had have had Dunlop SP 01 tyres and never had any problems with them, when the time comes to replace them I would probably buy the same again, or I quite like the look of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.

I certainly wouldn't let my wife pressure me into buying cheap tyres that's for sure, to me they must be the #1 safety feature on a car, they are all that keep you on the road, never buy cheap ditchfinder tyres. For the sake of a few quid, is that the price you put on your or your loved ones life?

• Like 1

If you have an exhaust tyre and battery outlet near they fit balance etc for £5 per corner, think its not logged though hence low price

Blimey!! £5!!??

Even around here they want £10 "in the pocket" per tyre.

I certainly wouldn't let my wife pressure me into buying cheap tyres that's for sure, to me they must be the #1 safety feature on a car, they are all that keep you on the road, never buy cheap ditchfinder tyres. For the sake of a few quid, is that the price you put on your or your loved ones life?

The Nexen's that the OP is considering aren't "cheap ditchfinder tyres" and are fitted by several manufacturers as OEM - Including Skoda!  There's a big difference between these and the really cheap Chinese tyres.

However they are (currently) still much cheaper than the premium brands so represent good value.  c.£80 each against c.£125 each for the Dunlops.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs