Skoda Superb III will be introduced in Geneva auto show 2015

Why don't you see if you can order from Skoda CZ with the "special" colour option then you can have any colour Skoda has ever made. You can still order the light Pacific Blue metallic, Fantasy Green etc...

How do you go about doing that? Do you go through a UK Skoda dealer? Or is there a direct UK phone number for Skoda and you bypass a dealer to order the car?

Sorry for asking but I have no idea how to go about ordering with Skoda CZ with the "special" colour option, but it does sound like that is the solution to my problem.

Does anybody know what it would cost to respray a superb. I am being serious, I am so unenthused with the colours I would consider buying a new car and driving it direct to a paint shop to have it changed on day one. Also would that invalidate my warranty?

I am happy to not have the yellow/gold/green as people are calling it, but if I can't have that then I want the VRS Green we have seen on the Fabia in the past.

http://newsimages.motoring.co.uk/skoda-fabia-vrs-breaks-seven-speed-records-24157-image1.jpg

I really am upset about all the colour choices :(

£1500 upwards for a good job.

I was in Geneva today, in that overcrowded hothouse. Deeply impressed with the Superb, which appeared in L&K and 'Style' versions, all 4x4s. None of them had rear window wipers. Our touring car is a VW Phaeton, which of course, is not a hatchback, however, given the exquisitely aerodynamic design of this Superb, quite similar in that respect to our Phaeton, it would seem unnecessary. At any speed I am amazed how rain and dirt just fly over the back window, so I do not think this will be a problem on the Superb. I was greatly impressed with the quality of its interior in general and particularly the leather on the seats. I could not tell if the door cards were also leather but the overall softness of surfaces and the coordination of the trims were very pleasing. I found it overall a much nicer car to sit in than the rather disappointing lacklustre new Passat. It also looks much more handsome. Oh dear. The other shock there was the horrid Jaguar XE, which looks on the outside like a Chinese knockoff of an XF and has not a sliver of wood veneer inside. Surely we expect to be cushioned in luxury inside a Jag? An unassuming Skoda Superb knocks spots off this sad disaster. Overall this must be easily the best Skoda ever, and certainly one of the nicest cars being produced by VAG at the moment. A triumph of well coordinated design.

Good to get the opinion of somebody who has seen it up close! How would you rate the quality of the interior versus the Mk II Superb?

I was in Geneva today, in that overcrowded hothouse. Deeply impressed with the Superb, which appeared in L&K and 'Style' versions, all 4x4s. None of them had rear window wipers. Our touring car is a VW Phaeton, which of course, is not a hatchback, however, given the exquisitely aerodynamic design of this Superb, quite similar in that respect to our Phaeton, it would seem unnecessary. At any speed I am amazed how rain and dirt just fly over the back window, so I do not think this will be a problem on the Superb. I was greatly impressed with the quality of its interior in general and particularly the leather on the seats. I could not tell if the door cards were also leather but the overall softness of surfaces and the coordination of the trims were very pleasing. I found it overall a much nicer car to sit in than the rather disappointing lacklustre new Passat. It also looks much more handsome. Oh dear. The other shock there was the horrid Jaguar XE, which looks on the outside like a Chinese knockoff of an XF and has not a sliver of wood veneer inside. Surely we expect to be cushioned in luxury inside a Jag? An unassuming Skoda Superb knocks spots off this sad disaster. Overall this must be easily the best Skoda ever, and certainly one of the nicest cars being produced by VAG at the moment. A triumph of well coordinated design.

Eh? So a car which is designed to have a similar bonnet to an XF, and a rear based on an F Type, is a Chinese knockoff of an XF?

Based on that, considering the Superb has a similar bonnet design to the Octy, I assume the Superb is a Chinese knockoff of an Octy?

Sorry, your Chinese knockoff quote does not make sense. It is designed to be smaller than the XF (quite obviously) and sensibly they have decided to stick to a winning design, in being similar in shape in some respects to an XF.

As for no wood veneer. Yes, wood veneers are available actually. Now the XE is not as luxurious, or as special as an XF, but it isn't meant to be. It has to compete with the 3 series (which in the same vain, is not as special as the 5 series). If they tried to make it ultra luxurious, prices would go up too much, and it wouldn't compete in the market it is trying to compete in. If we compare the XE to the 3 series, I think you will find internally it knocks spots off the 3 series.

If we want to compare something to the Superb (which is the flagship), then lets look at the Jaguar flagship. An XJ anyone? Similar legroom. Now tell me the Superb still wins?

Perhaps i was exaggerating, a gut reaction shared by another old guy with a gut sitting next to me! There was not enough space, the dash was ugly. I stand by the simple fact that any Jag should feel luxurious and this does not. It compares badly with the poor old X type in the interior. Of course the XJ is another class of car, it's one of the few for which I can have any respect after our Phaeton, one of the few I would ever want to own. The XF is nice too, but the XE is simply a downer, a major disappointment, not a real Jaguar at all. Compare the Mk 2 for reference size wise in the range. THAT is a Jag, not this plain Jane. That is why it reminds me of one of those extraordinary Chinese imitations, because the sad interior, with not even nice shapes, is the sort of abortion they might hack. It will not sell. Pay a bit more and get an XF.

• Like 1

Perhaps i was exaggerating, a gut reaction shared by another old guy with a gut sitting next to me! There was not enough space, the dash was ugly. I stand by the simple fact that any Jag should feel luxurious and this does not. It compares badly with the poor old X type in the interior. Of course the XJ is another class of car, it's one of the few for which I can have any respect after our Phaeton, one of the few I would ever want to own. The XF is nice too, but the XE is simply a downer, a major disappointment, not a real Jaguar at all. Compare the Mk 2 for reference size wise in the range. THAT is a Jag, not this plain Jane. That is why it reminds me of one of those extraordinary Chinese imitations, because the sad interior, with not even nice shapes, is the sort of abortion they might hack. It will not sell. Pay a bit more and get an XF.

Yes if you compare the XE to the XJ or XF, it will be a bit of a downer. Ive said the same thing. However we aren't meant to be comparing it to these cars.

If you look at the BMW range, then a 3 series is a massive downer compared to the 5 series or 7 series.

Yet despite this, the 3 series does sell. People aren't paying a little bit extra for a 5 series. Therefore, considering the XE knocks spots off the 3 series internally, Id say there is an extremely good chance it will sell. You may not like the car yourself (I myself do not think I would buy one), but plain Jane seems an unfair remark. The interior seems quite pleasant, and the wrap around style dash is actually similar in a sense to the XJ (a car you seem to like??)

One thing you must remember as well, when mentioning things like the X Type, is the cars in production when Jaguar were on their knees. They aren't the style of cars people want anymore.

The main comment that does seem to come out about the XE though, is the lack of rear headroom, and width up front.

Some of the exterior styling features on new Jaguars are starting to look a bit tacky. Indian influence beginning to creep in?

Cant say ive noticed that. To me the XF is the best looking car out there, bar non. The XE is also looking very smart, and makes the 3 series look boring.

• Like 1

Eh? So a car which is designed to have a similar bonnet to an XF, and a rear based on an F Type, is a Chinese knockoff of an XF?

Based on that, considering the Superb has a similar bonnet design to the Octy, I assume the Superb is a Chinese knockoff of an Octy?

Sorry, your Chinese knockoff quote does not make sense. It is designed to be smaller than the XF (quite obviously) and sensibly they have decided to stick to a winning design, in being similar in shape in some respects to an XF.

As for no wood veneer. Yes, wood veneers are available actually. Now the XE is not as luxurious, or as special as an XF, but it isn't meant to be. It has to compete with the 3 series (which in the same vain, is not as special as the 5 series). If they tried to make it ultra luxurious, prices would go up too much, and it wouldn't compete in the market it is trying to compete in. If we compare the XE to the 3 series, I think you will find internally it knocks spots off the 3 series.

If we want to compare something to the Superb (which is the flagship), then lets look at the Jaguar flagship. An XJ anyone? Similar legroom. Now tell me the Superb still wins?

Agree both are flagship models but it is wrong to compare XJ vs Superb. One starts from 56k and the other from 19k. One is a design led company and the Superb's USPs are roominess/practicality/simply clever features etc. Talking about leg room........XJ is 5127 & 5252 mm(SWB/LWB) long whereas SII is 4838mm long........guess what?? SII has 157mm leg room and XJ SWB is only 64mm...which is less than half! For the LWB you get 30mm more than SII & SIII but look at the LWB's overall length!

And obviously, head room is pretty bad in XJ (if you need more dimensions...I have them all) due to its sloping roofline. So, like I said before.......2 different brands targeting different set of customers, so we shouldn't be comparing these 2 cars.

Junglejames........nothing against you....remember, we aren't talking abt rear wipers for a change...lol  :p  :p  just a bit of comparison for you all

I go along with what you are saying, JJ, but looked at in a historical context, jaguars were once, rather like big Rovers, Humbers, Armstrong Siddelys, Lagondas, Alvises, the cars for middle class accountants, bankers, doctors, the settled professions. They were a cut above the plebean, they gave a sense of luxury just below that of a Rolls or a Bentley, but the 'Jag' had that extra edge, notably the big Marks 7 to 10, and of course the bank robber/ copper special, the Mk2. All of these Jags and ever since, until now, with this XE, had one thing in common. They had a very luxurious, slightly racy, interior, with tons of luscious timber and rich leather. I'd live to get my bum inside an XJ!. This is why the XE is, in my opinion, with 'optional wood' ( not mentioned anywhere that I have seen, must try to get a brochure) is devastatingly below any expectation I or any old geezer like me would have of a Jaguar. It's also worth pointing out that the traditional Jaguar was regarded as a relatively inexpensive luxury car. Nowadays JLR are trying to take the marque upmarket to compete with Astons and maybe even Bentleys, and in the XJ they have made a great job of it, but this only underlines the sadness of the XEs austere interior. I do not even compare to BMWs, cars where you have a bloody lever to hold then lean back to change seat back pitch!! At least in the 3. Primitivo!

Let us remember that in the 1930s the Superb was also a big comfortable economical luxury car, quite a svelte beast. I love the way Josef Kaban has tied his new design into the historical storyline. The car is very coherent in its design themes, inside as well as out, the brilliant concept of one gifted man (for the same reason I love Herr Piech's single or even bloody minded Phaeton). So this is why I regard the new Superb as a better car than the XE , although it cannot of course be drectly compared to the brilliant XJ Jaguar. Because it is a lovely celebration of traditional Skodaness, and the XE is a very pale imitation of a 'Jag'!!!

• Like 2

Agree both are flagship models but it is wrong to compare XJ vs Superb. One starts from 56k and the other from 19k. One is a design led company and the Superb's USPs are roominess/practicality/simply clever features etc. Talking about leg room........XJ is 5127 & 5252 mm(SWB/LWB) long whereas SII is 4838mm long........guess what?? SII has 157mm leg room and XJ SWB is only 64mm...which is less than half! For the LWB you get 30mm more than SII & SIII but look at the LWB's overall length!

And obviously, head room is pretty bad in XJ (if you need more dimensions...I have them all) due to its sloping roofline. So, like I said before.......2 different brands targeting different set of customers, so we shouldn't be comparing these 2 cars.

Junglejames........nothing against you....remember, we aren't talking abt rear wipers for a change...lol  :p  :p  just a bit of comparison for you all

Oh I totally agree. I wouldn't try and compare the 2 cars. I was just using it to make a point.

I go along with what you are saying, JJ, but looked at in a historical context, jaguars were once, rather like big Rovers, Humbers, Armstrong Siddelys, Lagondas, Alvises, the cars for middle class accountants, bankers, doctors, the settled professions. They were a cut above the plebean, they gave a sense of luxury just below that of a Rolls or a Bentley, but the 'Jag' had that extra edge, notably the big Marks 7 to 10, and of course the bank robber/ copper special, the Mk2. All of these Jags and ever since, until now, with this XE, had one thing in common. They had a very luxurious, slightly racy, interior, with tons of luscious timber and rich leather. I'd live to get my bum inside an XJ!. This is why the XE is, in my opinion, with 'optional wood' ( not mentioned anywhere that I have seen, must try to get a brochure) is devastatingly below any expectation I or any old geezer like me would have of a Jaguar. It's also worth pointing out that the traditional Jaguar was regarded as a relatively inexpensive luxury car. Nowadays JLR are trying to take the marque upmarket to compete with Astons and maybe even Bentleys, and in the XJ they have made a great job of it, but this only underlines the sadness of the XEs austere interior. I do not even compare to BMWs, cars where you have a bloody lever to hold then lean back to change seat back pitch!! At least in the 3. Primitivo!

Let us remember that in the 1930s the Superb was also a big comfortable economical luxury car, quite a svelte beast. I love the way Josef Kaban has tied his new design into the historical storyline. The car is very coherent in its design themes, inside as well as out, the brilliant concept of one gifted man (for the same reason I love Herr Piech's single or even bloody minded Phaeton). So this is why I regard the new Superb as a better car than the XE , although it cannot of course be drectly compared to the brilliant XJ Jaguar. Because it is a lovely celebration of traditional Skodaness, and the XE is a very pale imitation of a 'Jag'!!!

A Jag is a sporty executive saloon car. Pretty much always have had the sporty side. The XE does not lose that.

Now I for one believe the XE could have been nicer inside. Agree, it isn't really your usual Jag inside (although if you spec it right, it wont be too bad). But in this day and age you have to go for what the customer wants, and you have to make money and increase sales. Jaguar saw a market that they believe they can be successful in.

OK so a lot of exisiting customers may not go for it, but they are looking at beating BMW in the small executive market. Not stealing sales from the XF. BMW sell loads of 3 series despite it being a plain Jane inside, purely because it handles well and has a BMW badge. Well Jaguar know a thing or two about cars that handle well, and the Jaguar badge has some prestige about it again, so Jaguar have gone for this market just to increase sales. Looking at the competition, I see no reason why the XE shouldn't be very successful, and that surely can only be a good thing. The more money they make, the more we get to enjoy the other 'real' Jags. We don't want Jaguar to go to the wall because of falling sales do we?

As said before, id love if it had a much nicer interior, but then the price goes up too much. They need to compete to increase sales, and I see no reason why this shouldn't compete in the sector it is in. It doesn't need to have an XJ interior to compete in this sector (although as I mention before, it does take some design cues from the XJ)

First one has rolled off the production line in a very boring shade of "Business Grey":

superb-first.jpg

Oh sorry, were we meant to be looking at the car? I was paying more attention to some of the women in the picture :p

• Like 1

Hmmm...I agree, a little boring alright.  Like most cars, take them out of the nicely lit stands at the motorshows and put standard wheels on etc and things look a bit different

I dunno, it actually looks vaguely decent now it has some proper wheels on it

• Like 1

I dunno, it actually looks vaguely decent now it has some proper wheels on it

...and they've also left a big enough gap in the wheel arches to fit an Eibach Pro Kit! :rofl:

...and they've also left a big enough gap in the wheel arches to fit an Eibach Pro Kit! :rofl:

You and your Eibachs. That's going to be your name from now on. Eibach, come here Eibach :D

But yes, space so there is a bit of leeway if you do hit something big, like one of Matts Eibachs which has just fallen off his car infront

• Like 1

How do you go about doing that? Do you go through a UK Skoda dealer? Or is there a direct UK phone number for Skoda and you bypass a dealer to order the car?

Sorry for asking but I have no idea how to go about ordering with Skoda CZ with the "special" colour option, but it does sound like that is the solution to my problem.

Not seen a reply to this, Also interested in this route as all the current colours are BORING.

• Like 1