Mirrorlink Update

I'd love it if they enabled this for the older units, let's face it - never going to happen!

It will be along the lines of having to replace your unit, paying something ridiculous like £700+ and having the dealer **** up your dash as a nice add on with some nice new scratches to go with it!!

My 4 month old Columbus MIB1 does not need a Mitsumi cable for the iphone so that may be a strong hint!

Like I said before the o3

Columbus has always had full iPod functionality

Edited by V6Jules

Mine doesn't have full functionality. It plays MP3s and anything that I play on the phone. No text messages like my 10 year old TomTom. That is why I am hopng for a Carplay upgrade.

Yes you want full phone functionality with carplay but no units offer full phone functionality just a mitsumi cable. We will just have to wait and see what happens with regards to backwards compatibility but I wouldn't get your hopes up

The unknown here is enough for me to wait until MY16 comes out to make my decision.  If the new headunit appears then Octavia, if not may look at a new Superb.  Planning on keeping the new car for quite a while so would need the most up to date car system I can get.

So now onto the good/bad news.  The dealer is also a VW dealership and he said that the Golf MY16 changes have been announced.  Most notably was the change of the Discover Nav from MIB1 to MIB2.  (I think the Discover nav must be equivalent to Amundsen).  However he did also say that the Golf GTD has increased in price by £900 over MY15  :(

decisions, decisions.

Posted on the MY16 changes post but I think I will wait until the end of April to understand new model to see if there are any changes to the head unit.

What's the prognosis on replacing an old for new unit do you think? Is it likely to be a dealer-only operation, paying full price? What would an Amundsen trade in value be via a dealer, or selling 2nd hand?

Who did the retro-fit of SmartGate for you - the dealer?

Is your Amundsen the new MIB2 version as well?

Hi Sorry,

Been away - yes the dealer did the Retrofit. They had never heard of the part but it came with fitting instructions so no hassle.

It's fit under the passenger seat.

Honestly I don't have a clue what MIB1 or MIB2 are... I am told, by someone in another post, that my Amundsen must be MIB2... I have no idea. Brand new Yeti Outdoor with an upgrade from Bolero to Amundsen with Nav SD Card...

If there is some way for me to check, let me know and I will do so this evening.

Cheers,

SB

Very interesting! When was your car manufactured? Does this imply that MirrorLink is just a software upgrade?

My car was built Week 6 2015.

Also - MirrorLink is indeed just a software update.

I gather that some units don't have it at all, whereas my head unit has mention of it in the menus but it cannot be used.

Initially I was told it was a mistake, it's not on my car, I shouldn't see the option etc.. i.e. The lazy answer from the dealer.

I kept pushing and eventually reached someone who knew what they were talking about. They confirmed it would be available in my car through software ;-)

You can read my full thread on MirrorLink here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347896-mirrorlink-activation-in-amundsent-nav/

Cheers,

SB

1.) The screen resolution should be remedied in the new/updated range of headunits

See section "Infotainment systems supporting SmartLink" here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/pages/smartlink.aspx

Bolero radio

The infotainment system Bolero offers new functionalities. When you connect your phone via Bluetooth, you can read, write and send texts using Bolero’s large 6.5" colour LCD touchscreen with a resolution of 800x480 pixels and multitouch gestures.

Amundsen navigation
​The GPS system offers comfortable directions to the selected destination, thanks to quick calculation and precise presentation of the travel route. Amundsen navigation system is controlled via 6.5" colour LCD touchscreen with high resolution of 800x480 pixels.

Columbus navigation
The infotainment system offers a broad range of functionalities on the field of connectivity, navigation and entertainment. Columbus infotainment system is controlled via 8" colour LCD touchscreen with high resolution of 800x480 pixels.

Superb range of units;

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/infotainment#ColumnRepeaterLiteWebPart_2

2.) As a result of the above new units....I wonder will the chip be onboard the unit and make the Mitsumi-branded connector cable redundant. How do you know if this is inbuilt in the units?

Gaff,

Greetings from a fellow Paddy!

Looking at what yourself and others have posted, I'm fairly certain my Amundsen is a MIB2 model.

There is rich interaction over just bluetooth in terms of pictures for my contacts appearing, SMS reading and compsing from the head unit, song names and album art showing on all medis, including spotify. Being able to change track in sporify from steering wheel etc.

The only cable port in my car is USB - nothing that looks proprietary and nothing branded 'Mitsumu'. I haven't tried(since the Bluetooth is so good) but I'd imagine everything I mention above is possible over USB.

With that in mind - I would guess that the new MIB2 systems don't need Mitsumi cables?...

As mentioned earlier - I have Smartgate installed and working well(bar the loss of data on my phone while connected) and will also have MirrorLink activated very soon. More information on MirrorLink in my Amundsen can be found on my thread here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347896-mirrorlink-activation-in-amundsent-nav/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

SB

• Like 1

My car was built Week 6 2015.

Also - MirrorLink is indeed just a software update.

I gather that some units don't have it at all, whereas my head unit has mention of it in the menus but it cannot be used.

Initially I was told it was a mistake, it's not on my car, I shouldn't see the option etc.. i.e. The lazy answer from the dealer.

I kept pushing and eventually reached someone who knew what they were talking about. They confirmed it would be available in my car through software ;-)

You can read my full thread on MirrorLink here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347896-mirrorlink-activation-in-amundsent-nav/

Cheers,

SB

When your car is the FL Yeti, is has 2nd generation infotainment system (MIB).

MY2015 Octavia still has 1st gen MIB. The name of the system in 'every' car is the same: Bolero, Amundsen, etc but they are not same units, they can not transfer from car to another.

Yeti has one piece unit in the dash, Octavia has two piece unit where the display is in the dash and the system in the glovebox. The new Fabia has MIB2, but is it one or two piece? And how is it with new Suberb? VW Golf VII has Mirrorlink unit, but it is one piece unit, it cannot be installed to Octy.

As andyvee wrore, everything is just speculation until the MY2016 is real and you can buy a replacement unit from Skoda e-Shop.

• Like 1

Gaff,

Greetings from a fellow Paddy!

Looking at what yourself and others have posted, I'm fairly certain my Amundsen is a MIB2 model.

There is rich interaction over just bluetooth in terms of pictures for my contacts appearing, SMS reading and compsing from the head unit, song names and album art showing on all medis, including spotify. Being able to change track in sporify from steering wheel etc.

The only cable port in my car is USB - nothing that looks proprietary and nothing branded 'Mitsumu'. I haven't tried(since the Bluetooth is so good) but I'd imagine everything I mention above is possible over USB.

With that in mind - I would guess that the new MIB2 systems don't need Mitsumi cables?...

As mentioned earlier - I have Smartgate installed and working well(bar the loss of data on my phone while connected) and will also have MirrorLink activated very soon. More information on MirrorLink in my Amundsen can be found on my thread here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347896-mirrorlink-activation-in-amundsent-nav/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

SB

Yep yours is a MIB2, recent build change for all yetis.

What I am not too sure about is whether the actual unit is still much like a regular head unit or if its like the MQB cars that have the brains in the glovebox, the screen literally being just a screen.

I suspect the former.

• Like 1

Ok, an other of the briskodamember (kennethsorum) asked skoda Norway about mirrorlink on Facebook.

The answer was that it will be available on MY16 with columbus via a sw update. They havent answered if it will be availble on older units yet.

Edit: the question was only about Columbus, not the other systems.

Edited by Gromle

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody done a software upgrade of their Bolero/Amundsen or Columbus to include MirrorLink? It seems to be available on the Skoda website

The upgrade includes:

• Bluetooth®
  • Maps
  • Radio station logos
  • MirrorLink®

Link: http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com

I don't have my car yet so i can't do any updates yet.

Edit: It would seem that there is a change in the production Nov 3rd 2014 which might include the MirrorLink software. Does anybody have a car produced after Nov. 3? 

I've tried to enter my VIN number, but it simply says "An unexpected error. Please try again later."

But when I try to enter another VIN number, from som other member who posted their VIN number in this thread, it comes up fine!

I'm trying to download updates for my Swing radio.

Any ideas??

The columbus updates are nav data and Bluetooth function only as far as ive seen. Obviously no nav data on the swing system. I presume it has Bluetooth?

Snet with speeling mistkaes from my phoen

Btw, i input my vin and it gave me details of a nav and Bluetooth update. However the nav data was the same as is already installed so i didn't bother. Can't say i noticed any difference to the Bluetooth system once that was updated

The columbus updates are nav data and Bluetooth function only as far as ive seen. Obviously no nav data on the swing system. I presume it has Bluetooth?

"Swing" is listed as able to recieve updates. Guess it can't recognize my VIN because its Danish.....

Anyone with a Swing radio able to check if there's any updates available?

My here is a new Smart Link option on new order Octavias which enables car play android auto and mirror link. Also it appears that octavias are not being upgraded to the new MIB2 so I wonder how the startling will work with the old Amundsen system... Smartlink is a £150 option.