Mirrorlink Update

What about us who have Columbus? Is that screen big enough for Apple CarPlay?

Yes - as I understand it the current Columbus is 800x480, which meets the specs listed in the article I linked to.  The current Amundsen in my early 2014 Octavia is 400x240...

I wouldn't get too excited about an update especially for MIB1 units in cars built before the MY15.

They are most likely to offer it only to new customer (once its finally officially released).

If you are very lucky they might offer to sell you a new unit which is compatible with your old car (at the price of a new unit!)

If you are even more lucky, the might offer to sell you a SW upgrade for an unimaginable fee (probably higher than the cost of a new iPhone 6s+ & windscreen holder)

I very much doubt they will offer it for free or at a "reasonable" price.

• Like 1

It's not quite that simple. Apple does place some minimum hardware requirements on display size and resolution - and the Amundsen in my Mk3 would fail these requirements.

Even more importantly, reports have suggested that "Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature."

http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/11/apple-carplay-mfi-standards/

If correct, that would mean that retrospectively adding CarPlay to existing units will be all but impossible.

Edit: D'Oh - of course if you have the official licensed Apple/Mitsumi interface to your head unit then you do have this authentication chip already. My Amundsen still fails the screen size/resolution requirements though....

And this is one of the reasons why I will never have an Apple product, ever!

©Gabbo - I would pay 100-150£ for an update like that.

• Like 1

It's not quite that simple.  Apple does place some minimum hardware requirements on display size and resolution - and the Amundsen in my Mk3 would fail these requirements.

Even more importantly, reports have suggested that "Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature."

If correct, that would mean that retrospectively adding CarPlay to existing units will be all but impossible.

Edit: D'Oh - of course if you have the official licensed Apple/Mitsumi interface to your head unit then you do have this authentication chip already.  My Amundsen still fails the screen size/resolution requirements though....

And the Columbus must have the chip as it supports Apple via USB

It's not quite that simple. Apple does place some minimum hardware requirements on display size and resolution - and the Amundsen in my Mk3 would fail these requirements.

Edit: D'Oh - of course if you have the official licensed Apple/Mitsumi interface to your head unit then you do have this authentication chip already. My Amundsen still fails the screen size/resolution requirements though....

So am i right in thinking that even if Smartlink becomes avalible on NEW cars that the Carplay/Apple functionality wont work until Mitsumi is purchased (on a Bolero unit)?

Is Mitsumi available as an aftermarket product? I.e is it just a cable.

Also did I read jt correct that Amundsen unti has mitsumi built in?

So am i right in thinking that even if Smartlink becomes avalible on NEW cars that the Carplay/Apple functionality wont work until Mitsumi is purchased (on a Bolero unit)?

There seem to be two key requirements for CarPlay (all taken from third party rather than official sources, so take with appropriate pinch of salt):

1. Screen resolution of at least 800x480 with 30Hz refresh rate.  This rules out many current Skoda units - including the Bolero/Amundsen.
  2. Apple authentication chip.  You will have one of these if you have the ability to connect and control an iDevice with your headunit.  For many Skoda headunits this used to be only possible with the optional Mitsumi-branded connector cable.  It seems than Columbus units (which do have a spec-meeting screen) now have this built in, but I don't know from which point that started.  As far as my Amundsen unit (in an early 2014 Octavia) goes, I don't believe it does - but then I've never tried as I'm an Android man (and it fails the screen res spec anyway)

All this Mirrorlink, Smargate, CarPlay etc has got me not knowing what is what !!

I have a new 2015 VRS with the Amundsen sat nav head unit, what will this have and what exactly will it do ?

All this Mirrorlink, Smargate, CarPlay etc has got me not knowing what is what !!

I have a new 2015 VRS with the Amundsen sat nav head unit, what will this have and what exactly will it do ?

I am not sure if your Amundsen will have any of this functionality as availability will be introduced at some time in MY15 but when is debatable. I answer to your question.

SMARTGATE: it sends vehicle and driving telemetry information to a smartphone, a bit like linking up a diagnostic laptop. Can be retrofitted now

MIRRORLINK: you link up an Android smartphone or tablet and the car touchscreen mirrors the Android screen and functionality via the car screen. 

CARPLAY: same as Android but for Apple Ipads and phones. 

The main interest for me on this would be the ability to use my Iphone TomTom app on my car screen so no need for Skoda SatNav.

If you have had  your VRS for a while then its probably certain that you would only be able to retrofit the SmartGate.

Edited by TonyD

Next generation units will not require Mitsumi, similar to how Columbus works now. No definite date on when they will be in the O3 yet though, if ever.

Amundsen does not currently have mitsumi built in.

• Like 1

Hi

My Columbus MIB is 4 moths old. It handles my iPhone 5s without a Mitsumi lead and shows Spotify names and pictures on screen. Does that mean it has Mitsumi built in?

If so does that mean a fighting chance of CarPlay as I would love Spotify and Tunein Radio via the screen? Happy to pay to upgrade the existing unit.

Thanks

Garnett

Hi

My Columbus MIB is 4 moths old. It handles my iPhone 5s without a Mitsumi lead and shows Spotify names and pictures on screen. Does that mean it has Mitsumi built in?

If so does that mean a fighting chance of CarPlay as I would love Spotify and Tunein Radio via the screen? Happy to pay to upgrade the existing unit.

Thanks

Garnett

As far as I'm aware all of the Columbus units in the o3 have the apple connectivity, mine does and is an early 2014 car.

Fingers crossed it can be updated to work with mirrorlink and carplay but I think its unlikely

I am not sure if your Amundsen will have any of this functionality as availability will be introduced at some time in MY15 but when is debatable. I answer to your question.

SMARTGATE: it sends vehicle and driving telemetry information to a smartphone, a bit like linking up a diagnostic laptop. Can be retrofitted now

MIRRORLINK: you link up an Android smartphone or tablet and the car touchscreen mirrors the Android screen and functionality via the car screen. 

CARPLAY: same as Android but for Apple Ipads and phones. 

The main interest for me on this would be the ability to use my Iphone TomTom app on my car screen so no need for Skoda SatNav.

If you have had  your VRS for a while then its probably certain that you would only be able to retrofit the SmartGate.

And where does SmartLink fit in?

In addition to these options we have Android Car... Different from MirrorLink.

And where does SmartLink fit in?

In addition to these options we have Android Car... Different from MirrorLink.

SmartLink is Skoda term for MirrorLink, CarPlay and Android Auto combined, as far as i know. 

• Like 1

SmartLink is Skoda term for MirrorLink, CarPlay and Android Auto combined, as far as i know.[/quote

No it isn't Smartlink is a completely different thing and I refer your to my previous posting

Edited by TonyD

Sounds like you're mistaking SmartLink with SmartGate? Because SmartLink is pretty much what 5aint said.

Fair comment my bad!

Edited by TonyD
  • Like 1

There seem to be two key requirements for CarPlay (all taken from third party rather than official sources, so take with appropriate pinch of salt):

1. Screen resolution of at least 800x480 with 30Hz refresh rate.  This rules out many current Skoda units - including the Bolero/Amundsen.
  2. Apple authentication chip.  You will have one of these if you have the ability to connect and control an iDevice with your headunit.  For many Skoda headunits this used to be only possible with the optional Mitsumi-branded connector cable.  It seems than Columbus units (which do have a spec-meeting screen) now have this built in, but I don't know from which point that started.  As far as my Amundsen unit (in an early 2014 Octavia) goes, I don't believe it does - but then I've never tried as I'm an Android man (and it fails the screen res spec anyway)

1.) The screen resolution should be remedied in the new/updated range of headunits

See section "Infotainment systems supporting SmartLink" here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/pages/smartlink.aspx

Bolero radio

The infotainment system Bolero offers new functionalities. When you connect your phone via Bluetooth, you can read, write and send texts using Bolero’s large 6.5" colour LCD touchscreen with a resolution of 800x480 pixels and multitouch gestures.

Amundsen navigation
​The GPS system offers comfortable directions to the selected destination, thanks to quick calculation and precise presentation of the travel route. Amundsen navigation system is controlled via 6.5" colour LCD touchscreen with high resolution of 800x480 pixels.

Columbus navigation
The infotainment system offers a broad range of functionalities on the field of connectivity, navigation and entertainment. Columbus infotainment system is controlled via 8" colour LCD touchscreen with high resolution of 800x480 pixels.

Superb range of units;

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/infotainment#ColumnRepeaterLiteWebPart_2

2.) As a result of the above new units....I wonder will the chip be onboard the unit and make the Mitsumi-branded connector cable redundant. How do you know if this is inbuilt in the units?

• Like 1

To be honest I wouldn't use half the stuff. My Vrs is a 2015 model and is only 1 week old and the main thing I would like is for the Amundsen to read out text messages and connect my iPhone, presume it would need CarPlay to do this. Can this be retrofitted.

The message is fairly simple - All of the CarPlay/Mirror Link/Android Auto functionality will be available on the MIB2 units.

It is all speculation as to if or when or if it is even possible for this functionality to made available to the MIB1 units, or if an upgrade programme will be put in place.

Until Skoda actually announce something, it is all pure guesswork.

The only thing that can be retrofitted is SmartGate as it is an additional wireless module that goes under the drivers seat and connects to the CAN Gateway.

• Like 1

The message is fairly simple - All of the CarPlay/Mirror Link/Android Auto functionality will be available on the MIB2 units.

would you know if a Mitsumi adaptor cable be required with All MIB2 units to use CarPlay.