Electric Windows button.. automatic or not?

Hi guys,

So today I swapped my 1 year old Fabia VRS estate for a Rapid Sport in candy white.. I LOVED my VRS however it had to go for the amount of money it was costing on fuel.

I've picked up the car and I'm liking it so far, however my only gripe is the electric windows....

When I briefly press the drivers side button, it automatically goes down which is great. However, it won't go up with a simple flip of the button. I have to keep my finger on it. I also have to keep my finger on the passenger window to make it go up and down.

My fabia's windows used to automatically go down when you briefly pushed the button on both the passenger and drivers side.

Do you have to keep your finger on the button for all rapids? Can the dealer enable automatic up/down for me?

it may sound trivial, but I have a very narrow driveway which means I have to reach across to the wing mirrors to fold them each time i pull in and out of my drive i guess life would be easier if they automatically went up and down with a flip of the switch.

Many thanks!

Have you tried a reset?, take the window all the way up and hold the switch in the up position for a few seconds.

ah, no i haven't! with it being a brand new car it didn't occur to me. I shall try in the morning. thanks!

But when mine needs resetting (battery disconnection usually) it will not go auto down either.  The OP suggests its doing auto down but not auto up, which is a little odd as the fabia either does neither, or does both. :)

Of course, this is a Rapid, so could be totally different entirely.

But when mine needs resetting (battery disconnection usually) it will not go auto down either. The OP suggests its doing auto down but not auto up, which is a little odd as the fabia either does neither, or does both. :)

Of course, this is a Rapid, so could be totally different entirely.

Yeah the Rapid doesn't have the same function as the Fabia

I have a Spaceback Black Edition and the controllers are all single stage except for the drivers window which is two stage on down only.

It's very easy to check - just slowly push down or pull up on the buttons and if you feel a secondary click it's two stage with auto.

I would expect all Rapids are the same. If any version's gonna have all round two stage auto up/down it's gonna be the Elegance.

Anyone with an Elegance that can advise on this?

I only found out that mine didn't have auto up/down the other day (foolishly assumed that as it was 3 years newer than the 2011 Octy FL SE I traded in, which had auto up/down on every window, that it would be a standard feature by now).

I love the feature on my Octy III vRS so next step is to see if the controllers are the same and if they can be fitted on the Rapid and coded accordingly.

Have to say that Skoda are getting a bit tight with what should be the standard basics on every car nowadays and they seem to be following the path that Audi took when the brand started to gain in popularity by making half the car an optional extra.

"Anyone with an Elegance that can advise on this?"

Have spaceback(1.2 tsi 105 hp elegance+style plus package)and it's same thing here....just driver window goes auto.down.

Same thing here....just driver window goes auto.down.

Sad thing this..........my old fabia had all windows auto up and down....and it cost half price of rapid ;)

• Like 2

As everyone else has said the Rapid/Spaceback seems to have an electric window system from the dark ages; although the convenience modules by part number seem to be either from the current Polo (6R) or VW Transporter (7H), however the window switches and motors are Fabia/Roomster/Rapid (5J), so why they work as they do who knows.

Have now got used to it but its not particularly user friendly for people like the OP and myself, who have to lower and raise windows almost daily; for me I need to swipe an ID card to get into the works car park.

TP

I've got a toledo and it's the same, friggin annoying thing as a taxi driver. What's worse is I have rear electric windows but no switch in front to control them, unbelievable the amount of stuff skoda/seat have missed out. Only had my toledo 3 months & I'm looking to change it Feb/March.

Edited by Taxi_G

I've got a toledo and it's the same, friggin annoying thing as a taxi driver. What's worse is I have rear electric windows but no switch in front to control them, unbelievable the amount of stuff skoda/seat have missed out. Only had my toledo 3 months & I'm looking to change it Feb/March.

Rapid has 4 switches for the windows on the drivers side plus a switch for turning the rear windows off so the passengers cannot open them

• Like 1

Rapid has 4 switches for the windows on the drivers side plus a switch for turning the rear windows off so the passengers cannot open them

Here's my jelopi

2465D3B2-9A9F-4D52-A86D-164567354B6F.jpg

Pulled switch off to see if there was maybe wires that you could connect up another switch with 4 buttons but nothing.

The lack of one touch windows does my head in, come on, it's 2014, ok my car is 2012 but I've got a golf GT TDI 02 plate and that's got one touch windows! Stupid idiots

G

Edited by Taxi_G

Even my MK2 Octy had one touch windows and agree it's terrible these don't.

Can't even be adapted with vcds [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Mk1 octys had them, Seat stepped up the mark, MFSW steering wheel, Bluetooth streaming, cornering fogs, DRLS etcetc, but forgot to add one touch electric windows & bloody switches for my back windows.

As much as I like the toys it's got, it's a cheap pile of poop, my 62 toledo & my mates 14 Rapid both hesitate to start when cold in the morning. They start but just don't sound very healthy when cold.

Oh and the idiot who designed the interior, put the cup holder in front of the gear stick, so 1st,3rd & 5th trying to get your regular size cup in cause there's not enought space for a large cup..... Your a tool!

Am I just missing my passat to much?

All being well I'll have a passat executive or a nice spec Superb come March. Toledo/Rapid aren't the greatest & I've got the SE spec!

G

All the Mk1 octys had them, Seat stepped up the mark, MFSW steering wheel, Bluetooth streaming, cornering fogs, DRLS etcetc, but forgot to add one touch electric windows & bloody switches for my back windows.

As much as I like the toys it's got, it's a cheap pile of poop, my 62 toledo & my mates 14 Rapid both hesitate to start when cold in the morning. They start but just don't sound very healthy when cold.

Oh and the idiot who designed the interior, put the cup holder in front of the gear stick, so 1st,3rd & 5th trying to get your regular size cup in cause there's not enought space for a large cup..... Your a tool!

Am I just missing my passat to much?

All being well I'll have a passat executive or a nice spec Superb come March. Toledo/Rapid aren't the greatest & I've got the SE spec!

G

What model have you? Rapid SE or Toledo SE? there's quite a difference

My SEAT SE has 4 windy switches for the driver - and I can get at my drink when cruising in 6th  :D

TBH - the Passat is at least one class up - even the Jetta is a bigger car than the Rapido -

I couldn't afford either VW so I'll have to make do.

Edited by camelspyyder

That seems a good idea! having money on show in the car!. I've no problems with the cup holders, mind you I have the DSG version.

I can't believe that some folk are getting so worked up about a window switch. Years ago we had to wind them up & down.

That seems a good idea! having money on show in the car!. I've no problems with the cup holders, mind you I have the DSG version.

I can't believe that some folk are getting so worked up about a window switch. Years ago we had to wind them up & down.

Hint...The pic is from Taxi_G - I expect he takes the money out of the car at the end of a shift.

• Like 1

What model have you? Rapid SE or Toledo SE? there's quite a difference

My SEAT SE has 4 windy switches for the driver - and I can get at my drink when cruising in 6th :D

TBH - the Passat is at least one class up - even the Jetta is a bigger car than the Rapido -

I couldn't afford either VW so I'll have to make do.

Toledo SE ive got.

Looked at the Jetta, but deals from where I buy my taxis from on the passat Executive are too good to turn. Passat executive are very well spec'd cars.

Yeh as below im a taxi driver, so coin holder sits there...... :-)

I had one of those^^^^^^^^^ It was way, way back.

Mine must have been the delux model, it had a spoiler on the engine lid and alloys which I painted gold in the centres, they almost matched the sickly yellow colour of the paintwork.

Edited by MickA