Retrofitting boot shopping bag hooks - need parts help

That's right, and the options list grows longer every few months - auto lights and wipers for £200-ish recently added to Toledo.

Still no sign of leather interiors or electric sunroof like on the Chinese VW Santana version.

I like Rapido. I shall purchase a little chrome "o" for the back of ours. Lol[/quot
I like Rapido. I shall purchase a little chrome "o" for the back of ours. Lol

Our equivalent of the DMV in Jersey (otherwise known as the DVS) registered my car as a Spackback... so maybe I should replace the 'e' on mine with a 'k'.

And Skoda for reasons unknown have my car on their system with the first three digits of the registration as 'JIZ' instead of 'J12' and they've got my name, as in what would normally be Mr ??????, as 'Commander Plus' (don't even want to try to work out where the hell they got that from)... but I have no intention of re-registering the car or changing my name by deed poll to suit in this instance!

• Like 1

Replacement (correct) hooks arrived today, just got back from picking them up:

15882958455_b6b81b05e7_c.jpg

Skoda Rapid Spaceback Boot Hooks by Chris Green, on Flickr

To clarify, the correct part numbers for the Rapid are as follows:

Rapid: 5JA 867 615 9B9

Rapid Spaceback: 5JJ 867 615A 9B9

As you can see below, while the two hooks are similar, there is a pronounced difference on the Spaceback one (Rapid on the left, Spaceback on the right) which is actually slightly wider than the Rapid one, as well as having a more recessed mounting point.

15880973231_9833f1b522_c.jpg

15695479958_337deaabfe_c.jpg

Untitled by Chris Green, on Flickr

I also sourced some of the spreader rivets referenced in the parts diagram, however they appear to be of no use.

15857145446_8634601b3f_c.jpg

15857146026_a08f64552f_c.jpg

On the Rapid hook, the rivet's collar is too wide, on the Spaceback hook, the hole is too small.

When it stops raining I'll go back outside and have a go at fitting them. I suspect that the existing bolts that hold on the blanking plates will be reusable in this instance.

Chris

• Like 2

Ok - rain has eased up so here's the fitting guide.

First, remove the blanking plates. Each one is held on with a single screw located at the base of the plate. With the screw removed, the plate is removed by pulling upwards from the bottom, as if the top was hinged:

15857602906_9ebc0e4853_c.jpg

Skoda Rapid Spaceback Boot Hook Fitting by Chris Green, on Flickr

15882768682_0ffe639413_c.jpg

15695902238_8dd065f436_c.jpg

15261150164_9e8596c49a_c.jpg

With the blanking plate removed, inset the hook into the top of the opening where the blanking plate previously was:

15881432221_a979713e0c_c.jpg

At this point the hook won't move. Don't force it, but rather you need to wiggle it from side to side while pushing upwards into the cavity. This will ensure the lip fully locates into the metal slot inside the cavity. Once fully in, the resistance on the hook will go and it will hinge down into place without any force needed:

15697389909_dbfe670565_c.jpg

Reuse the screws from the blanking plates (yes, they do fit) to secure the hooks in place.

Here's the final result (apologies for the messy boot - still have my winter detailing kit in there). With two hooks in place, my precious Waitrose Papaya will be safe from being crushed by the bag falling over.

15263774253_8e6b612bb6_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Prompted by this thread I've also fitted the 'curry' hooks this morning; something I felt was missing from the boot. Mind I only wish they where retractable as on other Skoda's but we are talking Skoda's minimum cost maximum profit Rapid, well in the UK at least.

May have one or two more mods in the pipeline for the summer depending on parts and cost.

TP

Welcome to the curry hooks club :)

What other mods do you have planned? I'm still toying with the variable boot floor (and I've got mud flaps on their way), but not sure what else to do beyond that.

• Like 1

That's if I can work out how to remove the grill without major surgery to the front :giggle:

First attempt resulted in :thumbdown:

Will probably only look at replicating the grill and wheels, not so fussed about the diffusers and side skirts.

TP

The black grill and rims looks good on the red car, but I like my chrome grille on the silver car. Also considering the chrome covers for the wing mirrors.

No plans for a remap - not while its still under warranty.

Our car has the rest of the blackpack which makes the chrome grill look a little out of place, particularly on a green car but all depends if I can work out how to free the bottom of the grill from the bumper.

Found two plastic tangs you can put your finger on through the grill slats but pressing down or lifting up has not worked so far; shame the top comes away very easily.

Likewise no plans for a map, quite happy with the factory output for my sedate style of driving :D

TP

I haven't sussed the grille out yet either. There is 2 slots on top of the grille which gives access to clips by the looks of it further down.

If they are body coloured then I believe those clips are part of the bumper fittings rather than grill.

Found an image on ebay of the back of the grill and apart from the 4 screws the clips are possibly the ringed items with the rest being locating tangs.

Can easily reach and release the side clips through the holes in the grill top, can also fairly easily put your fingers on the bottom two clips through the grill slats but as stated lifting up or pushing down on them appears to have no effect, the base of the grill stays firm.

TP

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the tips and guides guys.

Just getting my Spaceback boot checklist ready, and wonder if someone has collated all the part numbers in one post please?

... or can someone post the parts page please?

Boot hooks -

Boot recess partition panels -

Side net -

Thanks

side net 5JJ 867 690 9B9

hook 5JJ 867 615A 9B9

partitions
5JJ867145 9B9
5JJ867146 9B9

guides for the partitions
5JJ861343B 9B9 left back
5JJ861343A 9B9 left front
5JJ861344B 9B9 right back
5JJ861344A 9B9 right front

edi: found this post -> http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/324026-spaceback-boot-storage-boxes-now-fitted/

Edited by dukedl
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...