So what is the best mileage out of a tank anyone has got? Rapid is best Skoda 4 this?

Camespyyder,

I had a Daihatsu Copen with a 660cc turbo engine.

It was a great wee car, so so soooo regret selling it 5 years ago.

Bidey fae Perth

• Like 1

Either way - tactics like hypermiling, driving like an arsehole on motorways, venting your diesel tank to maximise full capacity etc still won't get you close to 1,000 in a Rapid (and definitely not with a DSG gearbox). It's a bigger, heavier car than the Fabia as well which doesn't help.

The quoted figures for the 1.6 Diesel with DSG gearbox in the Rapid are as follows:

Fuel consumption

Urban † 50.4 (5.6)

Extra urban † 72.4 (3.9)

Combined † 62.8 (4.5)

So in reality, the combined figure (in fact all those figures are pretty much identical to the ones for the 1.6 diesel C4 I had with Citroen's equivalent EGS gearbox) is more likely to be around 50-55mpg in real world traffic, with real world road conditions, temperatures and actual weight in the car like a normal size driver and a full set of seats and trim.  The only way you'll get close to 1,000 miles range from a Rapid is if you go for a frugal petrol and have an LPG conversion and thus will have the combined range of a full LPG tank + the petrol tank. That or the sail! :)

Sadly there is no greentech version of the diesel DSG but I would still expect 80 mpg to be achievable even when keeping up an average of 55 to 60 mph.  If there was a greentech then maybe 85-90 mpg which is what Octy 3 1.6D owners are sometime seeing.

The weight of the Rapid is not really an issue for fuel consumption and the better aero of the Rapid over the Fabia 2 means it I would expect the Rapid, as does the Octy, to get better mpg than the Fabia at anything more than 50 mph or so.

So 80 mpg, or even 75 mpg and 13 to 14 gallons in the tank make 1,000 miles entirely possible if one can maintain once compose during the run and not floor it during this distance attempt.  And be lucky with no traffic jams etc.  Does not happen often but great when it does.

Sadly there is no greentech version of the diesel DSG but I would still expect 80 mpg to be achievable even when keeping up an average of 55 to 60 mph.  If there was a greentech then maybe 85-90 mpg which is what Octy 3 1.6D owners are sometime seeing.

For steady speed use what are the Greentech differences? Clearly start-stop isn't a factor in your shell economy marathon.  I think it's just narrower low-resistance tyres - you could fit those yourself  to aid your quest.

I'm a bit more extravagant with fuel, cruising at 75 on GPS and sod the expense :)

Edited by camelspyyder

For steady speed use what are the Greentech differences? Clearly start-stop isn't a factor in your shell economy marathon.  I think it's just narrower low-resistance tyres - you could fit those yourself  to aid your quest.

I'm a bit more extravagant with fuel, cruising at 75 on GPS and sod the expense :)

I think it is a bit more than that.

Low rolling resistance tyres is part of it.

The other factors are lowered suspension to lower the frontal area and some additional panelling under the car to smooth the air flow underneath and hence the 5 to 10 % improvement over the non-greenline.  Sadly the CO2 classification only tends to approve by one or maybe two groups.

For me it is just the loathing of having to fill up and have that 58 pence per litre of Excise Duty and that 21 pence of VAT that is paid over ie 80 pence per litre of tax which I will to postpone as long as possible.

Like more people that many punters realise my fuel, business and personal, goes on a fuel card so I only pay the tax at the 40% of whatever the purchase price so fuel is about 50p a litre to me but also one can take the shorter journeys, claim the longer official quicker route and end up paying way less than even 50 p a mile, common practice for fuel card users etc.  Hopefully fuel costs will continue to drop but then where is the UK Con-Dems going to make up the under collection of tax with their plan well of course sadly for all of us......

Gross National Debt

FY 2015* £1.36 trillion

FY 2014 £1.26 trillion

FY 2013 £1.19 trillion

FY 2012 £1.10 trillion

FY 2011 £0.91 trillion

FY 2010 £0.76 trillion - last general election.

FY 2009 £0.62 trillion

FY 2008 £0.53 trillion

Edited by lol-lol

Drive it to enjoy it, obsessing over unachievable mpg figures with absolutely no factual basis is no way to live and no way to enjoy a car.

Nobody wants to pay any more for petrol or diesel than we have to, but at the same time we need to be realistic about what can be achieved with this particular car. The numerous posts in this thread illustrate the realistic range of the car (which is not brilliant, but not horrid either). It also shows that driving the car at healthy motorway speeds (not driving it like you stole it) will deliver acceptable mpg and a viable trade-off between today's extreme pump price and maintaining modest economy and performance from the engine.

• Like 3

Excellent post Chris! Exactly what I was thinking.

The truth is that an average consumption of 80 mpg is unattainable in real life conditions, without putting yourself or others in danger (or risking death by boredom).

I once tried it in a deserted, flat B-road, driving a distance of 12 miles at 40 mph (cruise control on) and managed an average consumption of 83 mpg, which should probably be the absolute minimum possible. But could I do it for 1000 miles? No way!

Edited by harisma23
  • Like 2

I was in the red and only 320 miles, I'm using a fairly economical driving style but it does involve more shorter journeys so I think that what takes a hit, just look at my fully banner, nowhere near what I thought I would get, even on longer journeys the best bi have had is mid 40s

Fill to fill with our 1.2TSI 105 Spaceback;

Best to date = 49.8 mpg

Worst to date = 45.2 mpg (first refill from new)

Tends to fluctuate with the weather but around 48 mpg with nearly 5k on the clock seems to be the current average.

TP

• Like 1

Fill to fill with our 1.2TSI 105 Spaceback;

Best to date = 49.8 mpg

Worst to date = 45.2 mpg (first refill from new)

Tends to fluctuate with the weather but around 48 mpg with nearly 5k on the clock seems to be the current average.

TP

Thats quite poor (But I guess its all dependent on length of drive/driving style etc..) I have to drive quite aggressively to get it to go as low as that on an average (If i do 80 on the motorway and accelerate hard away from all junctions on way home It will prob say 48-49).

Thats quite poor (But I guess its all dependent on length of drive/driving style etc..) I have to drive quite aggressively to get it to go as low as that on an average (If i do 80 on the motorway and accelerate hard away from all junctions on way home It will prob say 48-49).

I'm with Plumber on averages.

If I do 80 on the motorway my MDI average is about 43 - so that's only 40 mpg in real money.

If I hoofed it out of junctions as well I'd be in the 30's

Are you driving a TSi 86?

Does it have dinky tyres - narrower than the 17's most on here have got?

• Like 1

Well my first trip in the Toledo (1.2 petrol 105 SE) that's collecting it and mainly motorway journey back, it's showing 170 miles and average 49.6 mpg. I didn't go above 70mph I guess mainly between 60-70mph. So it's not bad for a new engine, my Citigo was showing an average on the journey there 54mpg but stuck in nose to tail traffic for around 30 mins on the motorway.

Are you talking about the 1.2 TSi ?

Because the above mpg figures in relation to aggressive driving, 80mph on the motorway and hard accelerations, seem to be possible only in a 1.6 TDi.

On the other hand, your definition of aggresive driving may be different to mine...

Edited by harisma23

I'm with Plumber on averages.

If I do 80 on the motorway my MDI average is about 43 - so that's only 40 mpg in real money.

If I hoofed it out of junctions as well I'd be in the 30's

Are you driving a TSi 86?

Does it have dinky tyres - narrower than the 17's most on here have got?

Yeh 86 with tiny 15's :-) I am rather impressed with mine its an ex demo car that I believe was one of the original rapid fleet to go to the car reviewers such as autoexpress/autocar. Even found a pen drive left in the car with a draft report on the rapid :-) It feels much quicker than 86bhp and has incredible economy!!!

• Like 2

Are you talking about the 1.2 TSi ?

Because the above mpg figures in relation to aggressive driving, 80mph on the motorway and hard accelerations, seem to be possible only in a 1.6 TDi.

On the other hand, your definition of aggresive driving may be different to mine...

Mine is the lower powered 1.2 tsi on smaller wheels. I've had a 2.0 tdi Leon FR and I was sooooo dissapointed with the MPG on that my 1.2 tsi blows it away for economy! Shame it doesnt for acceleration hehe. I've never driven the 1.6 tdi though so can't comment.

Mine is the lower powered 1.2 tsi on smaller wheels. I've had a 2.0 tdi Leon FR and I was sooooo dissapointed with the MPG on that my 1.2 tsi blows it away for economy! Shame it doesnt for acceleration hehe. I've never driven the 1.6 tdi though so can't comment.

I had a Blazing Saddles joke ready for you but none of the nepotist Johnson clan who run Rock Ridge is called Will.  Shoot!

Edited by camelspyyder

Just worked mine out after filling up and comes back as 42mpg [emoji15] with an average of 47mpg (MFD).

I'm not too bothered as if I want economy I'll drive the Citigo instead. I just drive the Rapid like it's supposed to be driven and not how the car tells you [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive it to enjoy it, obsessing over unachievable mpg figures with absolutely no factual basis is no way to live and no way to enjoy a car.

Nobody wants to pay any more for petrol or diesel than we have to, but at the same time we need to be realistic about what can be achieved with this particular car. The numerous posts in this thread illustrate the realistic range of the car (which is not brilliant, but not horrid either). It also shows that driving the car at healthy motorway speeds (not driving it like you stole it) will deliver acceptable mpg and a viable trade-off between today's extreme pump price and maintaining modest economy and performance from the engine.

I do always try and buy a car that I will enjoy as I spend about half of my working time and 10% of my personal time driving ie about 35k miles a year.

My factual basis is that I can achive better than ther published Extra Urban figure in the Fabia VRS, as I have in the dozen or so other Skoda and dozen or so non-Skodas I have owned and therefore I would expect to do so in the Rapid also.

This is not done a driving at 40-50 mph but sometimes, when the mood takes me, just cruising along with the slower traffic ie the lorries at 56 mph etc, and this is where the sweet spot usually is to achive the 60 to 80 mpg that the Rapid TSI/TDI I think can achieve.

Yes you have to adopt all the good driving techniques, which police driving courses have taught me, ie drive thinking several hundred meters ahead and you should not have to brake, use burn and coast with the DSG, drafting a convenient vehicle etc etc.

As I said it is fun to think you can drive 1,000 miles or so on a tank full as did Top Gear when they went from Basel to Blackpool and whilst the TSI would do very well to reach 800 miles even with venting etc I full expect the TDI to achieve the 1000 mile and will hopefully announce this next year when I hope to get one and do so. 

Yeh 86 with tiny 15's :-) I am rather impressed with mine its an ex demo car that I believe was one of the original rapid fleet to go to the car reviewers such as autoexpress/autocar. Even found a pen drive left in the car with a draft report on the rapid :-) It feels much quicker than 86bhp and has incredible economy!!!

We have the 86 in our Fabia but get even less mpg than the Spaceback 105; must be the hills and rubbish lanes round here :D

However it does seem the TSI 86 works fairly efficiently in the Rapid.

TP

We have the 86 in our Fabia but get even less mpg than the Spaceback 105; must be the hills and rubbish lanes round here :D

However it does seem the TSI 86 works fairly efficiently in the Rapid.

TP

No hills round us really flat as a pancake, My daily commute consists of jumping on the M6 at Preston and getting off at Lancaster so that ~ 20 miles of M6 each way at a fairly constant speed (When the bluddy roadworks arent there) so I guess that helps my economy. What really kills it on the rapid i've noticed is stop start traffic... I guess at the end of the day its still a big car to get moving with a 1.2!!