2015 F1 General Discussion Thread

It's interesting how a few small incidents can change history books isnt it. The whole think about Nico getting 3 wins at Monaco, if Merc haddnt messed up today and Nico haddnt pulled his little stunt last year it'd be Lewis with the 3 wins. 

...Nico would still have won in 2013, and you don't know what would have happened in 2014.

...Nico would still have won in 2013, and you don't know what would have happened in 2014.

Oh yeah, no doubt about the first win but the point I was making was it'd go from 3-1 to Nico to 3-1 to Lewis at Monaco after 2 small incidents. I was only thinking about it after they were saying how few people have won Monaco 3 times.

Oh yeah, no doubt about the first win but the point I was making was it'd go from 3-1 to Nico to 3-1 to Lewis at Monaco after 2 small incidents. I was only thinking about it after they were saying how few people have won Monaco 3 times.

Even fewer have got a hat-trick, which Nico has and Lewis couldn't have before next year.

Max was very lucky. It was scary to see the footage from the onboard camera. Grosjean braked early IMO which was the cause of the accident, no fault of Max.

David Coulthard's column on the BBC website says that telemetry showed that Grosjean braked later than he did the previous lap, and responsibility rested with Max albeit that it was a mistake.

• Like 1

The on-board of Max's shunt had me checking my shoulders for strap bruises!

He needs to calm down a little. That could have been F1's first fatal smash for a long time. A 5 place grid penalty isn't enough really.

Either I've misread you, or I'm not sure what a grid penalty is supposed to achieve that the shunt didn't.

I like Monaco, it's just a shame the modern style of cars don't really allow for overtaking.

I was having a chat with a friend whilst watching the race, and he said it may just be the way it was filmed, but there seemed to be far more overtaking in the 60's and 70's at Monaco then today.

So i said, well, why not make a 'Formula Classic' series, where the cars all look a lot like Mclaren M7a's and Matra MS80's. Have a high revving N/A V8 and H pattern gearbox but are build to modern safety standards with modern materials. 

Proper cars, that have to be driven properly. Add it onto the F1 support package and let them do the older tracks. I think it would be marvelous. 

Edited by J45ON
  • Like 1

J45ON.

Theres lots of historic 3 litre F1 out there already. You can even watch it in Monaco:

Grand Prix Historique 13-15 May 2016 :)

Tom Wheatcroft tried a 50's F1 style Formula Classic which didnt catch on. As long as owners are willing to race the real thing, I don't think a replicar series will need to happen.

I know, but none of those are really 'safe'. lol

Nor can they be made so in terms of a 2015 F1's fuel cell and crash structures. About the earliest cars you could fit those to without changing the external appearance as well as the materials that components are made from would be mid to late 1970s "wing cars", and I can see the originals racing rather than just replicas.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimi does look like he would rather be anywhere else when being interviewed :D. Vettel right at the back, will be interesting to see how he progresses assuming his car has been fixed

Really?

Probably one of the first races this season that I've fully watched and if I'm totally honest I was bored out of my tree - processional at the best. Plus the pinnacle of motor racing and they are worried about fuel usage? Something needs to be done.

Contrast that with the TT racing I watched later - no contest.

I would have to agree buddy. Shame Vettel started at the back - I'm sure he would have pushed the Silver Arrows to race at the end, if he had been in the mix.

That aside; it was very much a procession of radio chit chat - to save fuel, save brakes, lift and coast, hold position, etc etc

Certainly not a "showcase" for the sport - IMHO.

• Like 1

Really?

Probably one of the first races this season that I've fully watched and if I'm totally honest I was bored out of my tree - processional at the best. Plus the pinnacle of motor racing and they are worried about fuel usage? Something needs to be done.

Contrast that with the TT racing I watched later - no contest.

My post was made after Qualifying, not after the race. Canada is traditionally one of my top races, the track normally throws up some nice battles but sadly this year it left me a bit bored too. Had Vettel started near the front then we'd have had a bit more of a race I suspect. 

• Like 1

I would have to agree buddy. Shame Vettel started at the back - I'm sure he would have pushed the Silver Arrows to race at the end, if he had been in the mix.

That aside; it was very much a procession of radio chit chat - to save fuel, save brakes, lift and coast, hold position, etc etc

Certainly not a "showcase" for the sport - IMHO.

From the little I could bear watching, it was very sporadic racing accompanied by a long (relatively) leisurely drive round the track to protect everything almost everything.

Boring in the extreme. Would rather watch NASCAR round an oval - at least they have passing occasionally!

Good article on BBC website by Coulthard.........effectively slaying F1 in its current format.

Sunday was truly awful.

• Like 2

Hellish weekend for renault powered cars after the success on Monte Carlo.   Only Kvyat scoring points, even Ricardo lost his smile.

From the little I could bear watching, it was very sporadic racing accompanied by a long (relatively) leisurely drive round the track to protect everything almost everything.

Boring in the extreme. Would rather watch NASCAR round an oval - at least they have passing occasionally!

It's not far off being that dull and boring.