aftermarket wheels thread

@maxxxi yup that's what I meant in my msg that my setup is only -35mm / -25mm from standard. If I could go back I would drop a bit more (-40mm all around or so) and now I'm kinda hesitating if it will look much better with 19" either. Damn. Well I can only blame myself not looking at the Eibach part number / specs closer. :blink:

With 8,5x19" I would probably go with 235/35 tyres so ET40 would be ok in front as well (as can be seen in @Vilho's pics earlier).

And yeah it's a personal choice ofc. I prefer gunmetal or some other darker wheels as well especially for white car like mine. Looks good with Octavia's black packet as well.

One option is to go for OZ Ultraleggeras which would be great quality but unfortunately only 8" wide ET45 --> rear wheels would be too much inside the arch lookswise.

Btw good discussion here, Finnish forum(s) are pretty quiet about wheels / lowering. :cool:

2 hours ago, hypo said:

@maxxxi yup that's what I meant in my msg that my setup is only -35mm / -25mm from standard. If I could go back I would drop a bit more (-40mm all around or so) and now I'm kinda hesitating if it will look much better with 19" either. Damn. Well I can only blame myself not looking at the Eibach part number / specs closer. :blink:

With 8,5x19" I would probably go with 235/35 tyres so ET40 would be ok in front as well (as can be seen in @Vilho's pics earlier).

And yeah it's a personal choice ofc. I prefer gunmetal or some other darker wheels as well especially for white car like mine. Looks good with Octavia's black packet as well.

One option is to go for OZ Ultraleggeras which would be great quality but unfortunately only 8" wide ET45 --> rear wheels would be too much inside the arch lookswise.

Btw good discussion here, Finnish forum(s) are pretty quiet about wheels / lowering. :cool:

20180821_175041.jpg.43d6568014ec8652fe401091605ec3a2.jpg

-40 drop all round

• Like 1

5 hours ago, winny13 said:

@maxxxi

Maxxxi i love your setup.

How much do you have the car lovered and on what springs?

Do you think its possible to run 8,5x19" ET45 wheels with 245/35 tyres without any rubbing aswell? or should i go for a lower ET like 42 or 40?

On 04/04/2019 at 09:04, maxxxi said:

I think the spec said 10mm in the back and 20mm in the front, but thats VRS. So from standard it would be 25mm in the back and 35mm in the front.

That’s how much Its lowered (on eibach pro kit springs.

Yes, with this setup there’s no rubbing at all. A lower ET like 40 In the front Is too far out with 245 wide tyres, a 235 could make it, but there’s no point doing it.

In the rear a lower ET is fine, I’m running 12mm spacers In the rear so the ET is actually 33. 

I would avoid higher ET’s like 47-50 aswell because hitting the spring perches in the front.

Thanks for liking my setup, means alot!

Have to take better pictures of a clean car, but heres one from the side:

39A69915-5EFD-4315-9014-4382C1538103.jpeg

• Like 1

@winny13

Yes, el correcto :thumbup:

If your going to install lowering springs I strongly recommend replacing the stock shocks aswell. Bilstein sell the very popular B12 kit (bilstein b8 shocks and eibach pro-kit springs) that go hand In hand. 

Edited by maxxxi
@name
  • Like 1

Seems to be loads of knowledge here about alternative wheel sizes so I'd be obliged if someone could help with what I hope is a simple query.

MY 19 vRS with standard 18" wheels,which I believe are 7.5 and et51.

I'm looking at alternatives,nothing extreme,still 18"....so in 7.5 with only more offset available,will et 35/40 still be OK?

If going to 8.0 wide,and probably 235/40 tyres,what offsets could Ibe looking at then?

On 09/04/2019 at 18:09, maxxxi said:

@winny13

Yes, el correcto :thumbup:

If your going to install lowering springs I strongly recommend replacing the stock shocks aswell. Bilstein sell the very popular B12 kit (bilstein b8 shocks and eibach pro-kit springs) that go hand In hand. 

true, but , I have mine on stock shocks over a year now with -40mm drop and no ill effects either. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

true, but , I have mine on stock shocks over a year now with -40mm drop and no ill effects either. 

They will wear slowly so you wont notice it until you ride in a car with proper sport dampers. 

I felt a big difference when swapping to konis. 

When you lower a car that much your stock shocks will not be working the range where they are suppose to, and they are WAY to soft for the spring rates of any lowering spring.

Its all about matching the shock with the spring rate.

I have done alot of research on this subject.

You will probably be fine and Its going to ”work” as in Its driveable with stock shocks, but a terrible bouncy ride compared to sport shocks.

Ive driven a vRS on coilovers and to be honest you would not notice the difference, the ride is definitely not 'bouncy' compared to sports shocks is not a good comparison at all, thats just nonsense..... definitely not worth the extra £100 a corner on top of the springs.

9 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Ive driven a vRS on coilovers and to be honest you would not notice the difference, the ride is definitely not 'bouncy' compared to sports shocks is not a good comparison at all, thats just nonsense..... definitely not worth the extra £100 a corner on top of the springs.

Everyone Is entitled to their own opinion, however googling a bit and doing research you can see quite obviously what the popular opinion is.

My point here Is, why pay for twice the labour and replacing them at different times, when you can get a better ride instantly and have them both swapped at the same labour cost.

I have had both h&r sport and eibach prokit on my vrs, and driven about 120k kms  on them, so I have some first hand experience on the matter and think I know what I’m talking about.

29 minutes ago, Mr0czny said:

Fitted week ago :)

Ronal R41 18x8 ET35 with PilotSport 4 225/40

Stock shocks with Eibach Pro Kit

IMG_20190329_153256.thumb.jpg.b31c1474e56edae93c6df3ff9d9857e8.jpgIMG_20190329_153417.thumb.jpg.b4d46081666993c1c552a06d1916a66b.jpg

You have indirectly answered my question above since your car shows it is possible to go from standard offset to et35...I assume there are no clearance issues?

The other question...is there any more torque steer?   I've heard that going to bigger than manufacturer's offset can cause this.

I've got 8.5J alloys with wider than standard 235/35R19 tyres on my Vrs and going wider just increases traction, corner entry/exit speed and improved braking/stability. What it doesn't do is increase torque steer, trust me I would notice with 517nm of torque going through my front tyres. It will  generate more tyre noise when cruising and increase fuel consumption slightly due to the increased drag however. Overall well worth it as benefits are greater than the negatives. Greater stability comes from the wider tracks front/rear, no spacers needed on my car.:thumbup:

yup no clerance issues 

but i have my2014 and you have RS245 ... facelift models have wider rear hub than prefacelift

and as far i know ET45 is safe in FL models for 8" width rim

IMG_20190329_153237.jpg

IMG_20190329_153303.jpg

Edited by Mr0czny
picture change
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I've got 8.5J alloys with wider than standard 235/35R19 tyres on my Vrs and going wider just increases traction, corner entry/exit speed and improved braking/stability. What it doesn't do is increase torque steer, trust me I would notice with 517nm of torque going through my front tyres. It will  generate more tyre noise when cruising and increase fuel consumption slightly due to the increased drag however. Overall well worth it as benefits are greater than the negatives. Greater stability comes from the wider tracks front/rear, no spacers needed on my car.:thumbup:

image.jpg

image.jpg

9 hours ago, maxxxi said:

Everyone Is entitled to their own opinion, however googling a bit and doing research you can see quite obviously what the popular opinion is.

My point here Is, why pay for twice the labour and replacing them at different times, when you can get a better ride instantly and have them both swapped at the same labour cost.

I have had both h&r sport and eibach prokit on my vrs, and driven about 120k kms  on them, so I have some first hand experience on the matter and think I know what I’m talking about.

i wouldnt believe everything you read on google, there are a lot of armchair mechanics with strong opinions who have never even touched a spanner before. You said its a really bumpy ride.... its not, you are infering you HAVE to change shock or your car will explode.... it wont. Ive done more than 40K miles on standard shocks and lower springs with ZERO adverse effects, my ride is neither bumpy or poor, its a massive improvement on stock springs. im not disputing yours is a better ride (only just) but do i have to spend all that extra money? NO i dont. I dont pay for labour i do it myself.

57 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i wouldnt believe everything you read on google, there are a lot of armchair mechanics with strong opinions who have never even touched a spanner before. You said its a really bumpy ride.... its not, you are infering you HAVE to change shock or your car will explode.... it wont. Ive done more than 40K miles on standard shocks and lower springs with ZERO adverse effects, my ride is neither bumpy or poor, its a massive improvement on stock springs. im not disputing yours is a better ride (only just) but do i have to spend all that extra money? NO i dont. I dont pay for labour i do it myself.

I was not talking specifically about you here. Just giving advise based on my own experience. You have only driven 40k miles on your lowering springs.

I bet your shocks will give In and start to leak at about 60k miles, probably already lost most of their damping force and your basically riding on the springs.. 

Please give our pleasant chat a thought when this happens and you will have to choose what damper/ suspension to get next :rofl: 

Btw. I am no ”armrest mechanic”. Did the swap myself DIY style after doing proper research on the subject. Im the type of guy that saves the cash to buy quality parts and get it right the first time. :)

Lowering springs by themselves Is not a long term quality suspension solution, and you should know this if you’re half the mechanic you say :cool:

Peace, hope everything works out well for you (atleast suspension wise). Just don’t five people advise that’s not based on facts.

1 hour ago, xman said:

What this thread need are less boring photos (shy) and some with more pizzazz.....

Have you met my cousins? 

skoda-octavia-rs-fabia-rs-world-debut-worthersee-2010-5.JPG.aaca6aaec7fef58758fe406eba43450a.JPG

Do they wash cars for free. Had to clean both cars earlier now chilling watching the Golf from Augusta.B)

50 minutes ago, maxxxi said:

I was not talking specifically about you here. Just giving advise based on my own experience. You have only driven 40k miles on your lowering springs.

I bet your shocks will give In and start to leak at about 60k miles, probably already lost most of their damping force and your basically riding on the springs.. 

Please give our pleasant chat a thought when this happens and you will have to choose what damper/ suspension to get next :rofl: 

Btw. I am no ”armrest mechanic”. Did the swap myself DIY style after doing proper research on the subject. Im the type of guy that saves the cash to buy quality parts and get it right the first time. :)

Lowering springs by themselves Is not a long term quality suspension solution, and you should know this if you’re half the mechanic you say :cool:

Peace, hope everything works out well for you (atleast suspension wise). Just don’t five people advise that’s not based on facts.

I'm just correcting the "facts" that you got wrong, no need to go on a personal attack....

so my shocks will leak? why is that? they do not extend or compress beyond their limits... is this something else you read on google?

Edited by JohnnyType2

48 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I'm just correcting the "facts" that you got wrong, no need to go on a personal attack....

so my shocks will leak? why is that? they do not extend or compress beyond their limits... is this something else you read on google?

No personal attack here mate ;)

the oem sachs shocks are not designed to be working In Its new range constantly, and with stiffer spring rates.

No need to explain this further to you.

the oem shocks will wear out alot faster. Period. 

So to answer your question(s)

Yes, unless your dad owns the skoda factory and your vrs got factory installed bilstein, ohlins, konis or any performace shock-absorber, your stock shocks has LOST or WILL LOSE most of its dampening capabilities, and this is a 100% fact nomatter how you slice it. 

This is my last reply, sweet ride btw and no hard feelings pal :kiss: lets not ruin this thread further.