Auto headlights come on very early

Hi,

As the title suggests, mine seem to come on when there's just some cloud cover (seems that way!). I've set the sensitivity in the infotainment to come on late. Is there any other way other than switching the light switch to the preferred setting.

Thanks

Steve.

Edited by StevenB
  • Like 1

Hi,

As the title suggests, mine seem to come on when there's just some cloud cover (seems that way!). I've set the sensitivity in the infotainment to come on late. Is there any other way other than switching the light switch to the preferred setting.

Thanks

Steve.

Every VAG car I've owned has had a problem with the lights coming on ridiculously early. My present Octy3 is the worst culprit.

I never use AUTO now.

The sensor is in the screen and as such faces/detects more upwards than sideways, not a problem in the summer but, during the winter with much lower sunshine the lights come on far more often.

It is what it is

Regards

T

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Today it has been cloudy but not what you would call dark & my lights are on auto stayed on for the whole of my journey. Prefer to leave them on auto as it's fine for entering\leaving garage plus I think its safer.

Go live in a place like Florida for a year and you'll understand why the lights come on so early over here in the UK… 'cos it's so bloody grey all the time!

kalpat, on 22 Dec 2014 - 17:44, said:

Today it has been cloudy but not what you would call dark & my lights are on auto stayed on for the whole of my journey. Prefer to leave them on auto as it's fine for entering\leaving garage plus I think its safer.

If it was a motorway journey and you were over approx. 80mph then the lights also come on automatically....

EDIT:

Or do they? Just looked in the manual and can't find any reference to this. They used to do this on my Mk2 Octy...

I didnt mean not to use your lights when you need them, like at night, in winter times etc...

If you use auto mode, lights could be going on off which is not good for xenon.

If you need lights on your journey, turn them on and keep them that way.

I tend to use auto only in summer, where they switch on quite early, and whenever you hit 140km/h. In winter I tend to leave them just "on" since they would be switching on and off too often, plus it's grey and I hate it when people drive in poor visibility with no lights at all. [this applies to a VW Scirocco with Xenons, but since VAG use the same tech throughout their range, it will be similar to the Octy..it certainly is to Audis I found]

Edited by TomLux

I'm of the understanding that they don't just use the external light sensor either and make a comparison with the one inside.  This way they can detect things like low level sun more accurately and put the lights on accordingly.

My experience:
Auto light is not a stupid system.
I think it's collecting data while you are driving and doesn't switch on/off the lights like crazy.
I mean when it's getting darker and darker in the afternoon/evening there's a moment when it decides to switch on the lights and they will remain on even if some clouds go away.
The same happens in the morning. It's getting lighter and lighter and at a point the system will switch off the lights. If it's getting a little bit darker for some minutes because of clouds/shades it won't switch on the lights again.
If the light suddenly drops/rises a certain amount the system will react instantly. This function is called tunnel light.
As themanwithnoaim said the light sensor faces more upwards than sideways.
It can easily happen in the morning that the system switches on the lights even in sunshine because the average of the light is under the limit.
The other thing is the adoptation of the human eye to the light. You can easily think it's not dark but it is.
I always use AUTO and set mine to "late". Switch on time in the summer is around 19 o'clock and in winter around 15'o clock (+/- 1 hour). I think it's normal.
I'm happy with the system.
I think the biggest issue is the CH/LH lights set to the xenon headlights from the factory. I will reprogram the function to the fogs instead.

I've just got the Octy to replace my Kia and love the fact that they come on early.  The Kia was the opposite and I often had to switch them on manually as auto wasn't sensitive enough.  I ended up using a black marker to colour in a bit of the sensor on the dashboard to encourage them to come on a bit earlier.  The Kia's weren't tied to the auto wipers either, unlike the Octy and the wife's Fiesta, so they didn't come on when the wipers kicked in.  That's a feature I do think is really useful.

I certainly didn't mean to start a debate on lights or no lights. I agree with most of the views that switching on the lights early is a positive and i always do this. I have the box ticked to turn on the lights if raining. I do though object to people driving with front fog lights on when there's no fog ! but that's another debate....

Only reason for my post is I've had 2 Mondeos and both had auto lights and these judged the turn on/off time much better.

In my opinion, the lights come on a little early....but hey, i agree, better to be seen..

Steve

How old were your Mondeos out of interest?  My 2007 Mondeo was perfect at switching them on/off at the right time.  My wife's 3 week old Fiesta and a mate's 6 month old Mondeo are even more sensitive than the Octy though and have them coming on really early.  On the Fords you can't adjust the sensitivity either.