Audi RS3 2015 -Anticipate some detail on price and spec soon. Delivery due mid 2015

vrskeith

I had a look at one yesterday while working up in Sunderland. Only sat in one, didn't get to drive it, but it seems a nice place to sit :) But listening to one (being delivered to a customer) is a real crowd pleaser :)

• Like 1

Well I've finally collected my RS3.

The car is really easy to drive as I was so nervous driving back home I didn't want to drive fast. Hopefully that wont last long.

Its probably not worth the money as for the same price can buy a really nice car from the segment or two above.

Also the S3 is offers excellent performance in the same package.

But at the end of the day you buy a car like this for how it makes you feel not by numbers or opinion of road testers.

So in the coming weeks and moths then I can tell if I made the right choice.

Just came back from my local Audi dealership. I'll start by saying that I absolutely love to look at the front of this car, but strangely I would not feel so comfortable owning it, can't explain it. Maybe because I find the back spoiler and exhaust overly "wild" for an Audi car of this size, or it might be that in my mind, huge oval exhaust tips are associated with big RS4/6 estates., or that I simply don't want to spend that much  :giggle:  I also agree its pricing is insane, I think considering the mechanical differences and the interior similarities, it should be 4K more of the S3 instead of 8K, but I guess the fact the "R" is preceding the "S" alone is worth ~4K. I am currently considering a couple of nearly new S3's depending on what the dealer's final price will be. At 30K you still get the Quattro and the bullet-proof EA888 mk3 which APR can easily take to ~370hp without any other mods.

BUT, I'd love to have a 2.5TFSI instead and - definitely - the RS3 optional sports exhaust, what a l-o-v-e-l-y sound that makes... These two alone imho are, like you say, making you feel good every time you're driving the car and this can not really be valued so as long as you can afford it, it's what counts more than anything else. I'm sure you'll be enjoying it as much as it gets  :clap:

Edited by newbie69

• 2 weeks later...

I think Audi got it right with the marketing of the RS3.

The other MQB platform cars (Leon Cupra\Golf R\Audi S3) can offer almost the same performance and better handling using less weight at a reduced cost of the Audi.

So I think the RS3 was not trying to attract these potential byers but people who want to downsize from RS4s or introduce them in to RS brand from more focused handling hot hatches.

There is still an argument if someone wants RS3 package then just remap a S3 for a fraction of the price to give the same performance with a lighter engine.

Audi tried to make a halo A3 that would distance itself from the S3 market without trying to encroach into the next performance segment (RS4).

It's possible that Audi could have made it handle better with even more power but I think that would have introduced compromises, such as ride quality, that could have resulted in the loss of new customers.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the TT RS coming out. It's rumoured to have a minimum of 400bhp. Should be interesting to see if a longer gestation period will improve the handling over the RS3.

I'm looking forward to the TT RS coming out. It's rumoured to have a minimum of 400bhp. Should be interesting to see if a longer gestation period will improve the handling over the RS3.

It's almost sure it's going to be a big improvement over the current S3/RS3. In Audi forums the new TT-S is already reported to have a completely different (better) steering setup and I think I read that the Haldex is more rear-ward biased as well. I mean we know for a fact it's doable since VW did such a better job on the R already using the same platform so I would think it's only natural that it will also be the case with the new gen lower-end S models.

Only trouble is I bet it's £50k plus with a few tasty options :(

Don't get me started on the Audi options pricing... I've spent quite some time lately in their configurators but no matter what, I couldn't drop below an additional 20% of the base price. I mean just raise the base price all-right and include things which should be/are standard on every 40K+ upmarket car in 2016, that would be a much more decent attitude.

Edited by newbie69

Yep, there are some pretty decent dealer contributions on the M3/M4. Worked out about £50/month more than the M2, which is bad considering the difference in list price :thumbup:

Edited by Wardy

• 3 weeks later...

The order books for current RS3 have now closed to be ready to the revised A3 due out in the summer.

According to Car and Driver the revised RS3 and new TT-RS will get an all new 2.5 I5 engine:-

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-launch-details-of-the-audi-rs3-sedan/

Which would be a surprise seeing that the current 2.5 has only been revised for the RS3.

• Like 1

Hopefully upgrade some of its shortfalls, as outlined in the Evo video RS3 v Golf R. Handling,throttle response etc.

The order books for current RS3 have now closed to be ready to the revised A3 due out in the summer.

According to Car and Driver the revised RS3 and new TT-RS will get an all new 2.5 I5 engine:-

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-launch-details-of-the-audi-rs3-sedan/

Which would be a surprise seeing that the current 2.5 has only been revised for the RS3.

it would be great if it was a fair bit lighter :)

it would be great if it was a fair bit lighter :)

I got to admit the RS3 does feel a heavy car to drive.

But I can't see them improving it that much even if the engine is lighter.

It might help the slightly nose heavy handling? I love the current engine, but have been put off by the handling (I can't get used to the idea of wider tyres on the front than the rear :D). Perhaps it's not a fair comparison, but I have a college and friend who has the RS TT (which I think is more closely related to the previous RS3) and I didn't enjoy the handling hugely. the engine almost makes up for it though. If the new engine is anything like the old, it's a classic in the making :)

It might help the slightly nose heavy handling? I love the current engine, but have been put off by the handling (I can't get used to the idea of wider tyres on the front than the rear :D). Perhaps it's not a fair comparison, but I have a college and friend who has the RS TT (which I think is more closely related to the previous RS3) and I didn't enjoy the handling hugely. the engine almost makes up for it though. If the new engine is anything like the old, it's a classic in the making :)

I haven't driven the car hard enough to notice if it pushes on because its nose heavy. But from generally driving it I can feel  the weight.

I didn't opt for different size wheels as it was an £795 option. If I thought I really needed them to reduce understeer while driving then I would have reconsidered the RS3 as there are better handling cars.

I've only driven a TT 3.2 V6 on the track and I was really disappointed with the handling as well. The suspending felt really soft.

I expect the TT-RS to be a bit firmer but the TT wasn't a car for me.

I still like the idea of Audi’s Sport Quattro 2010 concept with 2.5 engine.  But I guess it would have been too expensive to make and too close a model to the TT.

I haven't driven the car hard enough to notice if it pushes on because its nose heavy. But from generally driving it I can feel  the weight.

I didn't opt for different size wheels as it was an £795 option. If I thought I really needed them to reduce understeer while driving then I would have reconsidered the RS3 as there are better handling cars.

I've only driven a TT 3.2 V6 on the track and I was really disappointed with the handling as well. The suspending felt really soft.

I expect the TT-RS to be a bit firmer but the TT wasn't a car for me.

I still like the idea of Audi’s Sport Quattro 2010 concept with 2.5 engine.  But I guess it would have been too expensive to make and too close a model to the TT.

The TT RS has one of the great engine sounds of all time I reckon and I include straight 6s, V8s, V10s etc in that. Something so melodious about it :)

• Like 2

The TT RS has one of the great engine sounds of all time I reckon and I include straight 6s, V8s, V10s etc in that. Something so melodious about it :)

I can vouch for this as I now own one. As a reply to your previous comment a custom GEO setup, decent tyres on 18s makes a huge difference in handling. I would honestly say the 7R would really struggle to match the TT RS with proper geo on a DRY bendy Road. I own both btw hehe

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

In the wet tables would turn but I think this partly down to the power. It feels a lot more sketchy than the Golf does when WOT around bends in the wet. But that is what makes the TTRS so much more enjoyable to drive than the Golf.

Edited by donovan

I can vouch for this as I now own one. As a reply to your previous comment a custom GEO setup, decent tyres on 18s makes a huge difference in handling. I would honestly say the 7R would really struggle to match the TT RS with proper geo on a DRY bendy Road. I own both btw hehe

I guess I will never find out now, as he has just part ex'd his TT for an RS4 :) Looking forward to a go in that (he's promised me a drive)

• Like 1

That would be interesting ,you need to do an Evo back to back ar Bedford Aerodrome. Manual or DSG? Edited by vrskeith