Recommended fuel additive

Hi there,I will be doing a phew long trips in my car soon (2005 octavia estate 2.0 tdi 140 bhp auto dsg) and thought it would brobably be a good opportunity to put some additive in the fuel in hope of it cleaning the turbo ect. Is there one that people would recommend that actually does the job and isn't just snack oil Or are all these additives not much use ?

Many thanks kev.

Is there one that I could add to a full tank of diesel and use the full tank in a day that way it would have had plenty of time to work having had a full tank of treated fuel put through the system in one go if you see what I mean?

Would that not be better than treating about 15/25 litres and just running that through the engine?

Cheers kev.

Liqui Moly or VIF - I always use additives since stock fuel is a commercial product designed for generating income.

I think it really doesn't matter what you put in as long as it is an oil mixing company with years of experience (especially in motorsport).

I see difference with VIF in low rpm, otherwise there is no difference for human eyes. It is said it lubricates fuel system, anti-corrosive...no idea.

Liqui Moly was allegedly tested independently and it does what they claim - furthermore, all made in Germany...no China like most do.

1. I saw a thread about adding low ash mineral 2 stroke oil to the diesel at a 200/1 ratio to aid lubrication of the fuel system. Cant see it doing any harm.

it was in old times - good old tank diesel engines. My friend (last real car mechanic, who still repairs cars - no part exchanger ;-) told me to mix the engine oil you normally use with fuel.

Hard to say, i think it's not very good idea for DPF.

According to VAG NO additives should be used. I imagine that is particularly relevant in the case of PD engines.

Dave

I wonder where have you seen this?

VAG normally suggest cetan/octan number or norm for fuel and that's it.

I've run my old Fabia 1.4TDi 59kW on additives for 70k km - no problems, no dirt in air and exhaust manifold, no EGR **** (EGR almost switched off). More torque in low rpm. It won't certainly harm.

Normal fuels are pure rubbish, most likely damaging engine. Especially, in certain EU countries such as Czech Republic :-D

• I saw a thread about adding low ash mineral 2 stroke oil to the diesel at a 200/1 ratio to aid lubrication of the fuel system. Cant see it doing any harm.

Might need synthetic if its got a DPF. Check it out. I use mineral 2 stroke (1 litre is a fiver in supermarket) in my astravan sometimes. Starts easier and runs smoother and quieter. I only put in 300mm per full tank.

1. I saw a thread about adding low ash mineral 2 stroke oil to the diesel at a 200/1 ratio to aid lubrication of the fuel system. Cant see it doing any harm.

A few of my mates do that in their diesels - seems to give a fraction better economy & cleans the injectors a bit.

I run 2SO in my TSI at ratios between 500-1000:1.  Again, it gives a fraction better economy but I can't understand why.

Might need synthetic if its got a DPF. Check it out. I use mineral 2 stroke (1 litre is a fiver in supermarket) in my astravan sometimes. Starts easier and runs smoother and quieter. I only put in 300mm per full tank.

The thread I had read mentioned about using mineral as apposed to synthetic claiming that the synthetic could separate out again when the fuel is sat in your tank over night whereas the mineral is instantly dispersed into the fuel.

The thread I had read mentioned about using mineral as apposed to synthetic claiming that the synthetic could separate out again when the fuel is sat in your tank over night whereas the mineral is instantly dispersed into the fuel.

Ahh OK. I knew there was something about DPF's. Thanks for the info.

I wonder where have you seen this?

VAG normally suggest cetan/octan number or norm for fuel and that's it.

I've run my old Fabia 1.4TDi 59kW on additives for 70k km - no problems, no dirt in air and exhaust manifold, no EGR **** (EGR almost switched off). More torque in low rpm. It won't certainly harm.

Normal fuels are pure rubbish, most likely damaging engine. Especially, in certain EU countries such as Czech Republic :-D

Page 185 of the owners manual.

Dave

I have used millers regularly in the past but not noticed any tangible difference in my PD170. I just had to trust it was having a positive benefit.

Decided to try 2 stroke oil for a change. Got some Total Neptuna mineral 2T oil and put in at 500:1. Immediately the engine quietened down especially when cold and smoother when hot. The oil is ashless, has excellent detergentcy and lubricity.

So far very impressed.

Please ignore my previous post.

I do not recommend ATF as a diesel additive.

Old skool product for old skool technology by old skool mechanics, no good for today's engines.