Common faults to check for when picking up a new car?

Warranty covers most things that might go wrong, but check very carefully for any damage both inside and out. As soon as the car leaves the forecourt you would have a hell of a game proving any damage you subsequently find wasn't your fault.

• Like 1

There should be no faults. It's part of the VAG. The acronym of quality...

I wouldn't believe that either! Lol.

Check as much as possible. You could always sign the dealer paperwork as item unchecked??

• Like 1

Cheers everyone, especially Gerrycan for summing up the issues from the forum. I'll check the alloys and panels with a good torch.

I'll be picking it up on Tuesday, late afternoon. It'll probably be dark at 4, but dealer promised to park it under lighting. I wouldn't normal pick up in the dark, but my insurance is due midnight on the Wednesday so  :|, convinced the dealer to let me come Tuesday (they need to order a couple of dealer options). It'll arrive today or Monday, hoping all will be OK. 

I've not actually test driven a 2.0 estate, just the hatch - the 1.6 estate didn't seem that different apart from power.

I'm going to have to try really hard not to get a speeding ticket on the motorway on the way back . . . . going from about 80 to 148 BHP . . . . :angel:

Gerrycan looks to have said everything I can think of.

As said its difficult to check for transport blocks but a very harsh ride gives them away, often accompanied with a 'knock or bang' if the wheel moves up too far (my car had them left in).

Don't get too hung up though, enjoy the experience!! :)

Mine had

1. No SD card in the sat nag. I'd read on here to check for it.
  2. No rubber mats (that I had dealt in)
  3. Tracking was off, steering wheel not on straight. Noticed this upon mile 1 of driving it.
  4. Tyre pressures all over the place

+1

You could always sign the dealer paperwork as item unchecked??

I'm imagining the scene, you read this entire thread several times. Then you ran through it in your mind on the way to pick up your car so it was all fresh. You then listened to the never ending waffle in the showroom during the handover whilst thinking just give me the bloody keys.  First chance you get, you snatch the keys and zoom off like a rat out of a drainpipe. You then realise that you'd only checked that it's a Skoda with 4 wheels and no broken windows... been there, done that. Enjoy.

• Like 1

:D  :clap:  :sun:  :D  :clap:  :sun:

I did make an effort to check round the car, alloys, trim etc. There were a few water marks in places, a few bits of protective plastic still in place in the car . . . . did I care . . . . as you say Skovirg, NO! Gimme gimme gimme (and chuck in a couple of key rings etc) should've asked for some screen wash too. Flowers were a rather nice bunch too.

Annoyingly there was match traffic on the motorway so I couldn't enjoy the power, this was after apologising to the sat nav after calling her stupid for taking us a long route round . . . . .  I have just returned from 45 minutes sat in the car on the drive playing with the various features and settings. 

Canton, whilst the sub could do with more power, sounds pretty dam good. Quite a bit better then in the standard I test drove at full volume. 

Columbus has a beautiful screen for a car. Pretty novel sitting in your car watching a DVD (see image)! And before anyone asks, the reason I appear to be in a hedge is because I've parked up, rather than crashed due to playing with the gadgets. I'm going to get to work tomorrow and not want to leave the car!

I've not tested the front assist, but the radar is in place. An added bonus is the puddle lights on the wing mirrors! Wasn't expecting them as they weren't mentioned on the specs, or even as an optional extra!?

Added bonus is the last three letter are 'SKO' - pity the first two aren't BR followed by 15  :notme:

Edit: I should mention the DVD was a Les Miserables concert, but the 'sound test' included RATM, ACDC, Pink Floyd, Disturbed, System of a Down, Muse, Moody Blues etc

post-124892-0-46753000-1421785553_thumb.jpg

Edited by lpt100

but the 'sound test' included RATM, ACDC, Pink Floyd, Disturbed, System of a Down, Muse, Moody Blues etc

:clap: That is pretty much the food my canton sound system will get (except for Moody blues, which I don't know)

So hows the Canton dealing with that kind of music?

Moody blues, nights in white satin: pretty good track for dark A roads at nights. Relaxing, but powerful. Not as good as comfortably numb though!

The system so far is coping fine, DVD, SD card, BT stream. Cranked the sub up but not as powerful as I'd like, but it's subtle, and certainly helps. 75% vol is loud, clean, and comfortable, 100% is clean too, but a little uncomfortable for me round town.

:-)

Edited by lpt100

Congrats on new car LPT100.

Glad you clarified the conductor was for 'Les Miserables' and not someone like Andre Rieu or Mantovani (heaven forbid).

"Nights in White Satin" also makes more sense than my spelling it with "Knights" :)

Cheers! Loving it.

Certainly not! Classic FM is only on the radio list for when Radio 3 gets a bit too modern!

I used to think it was Knights, I did wonder why there was a song about the 'classier' end of the KKK (and their posh robes). . . .  :D

If u get the time check as much as possible as beneath the shiny polished exterior may lie a whole host of problems. Seriously these are s*** cars. A lesson learned never to be repeated in the mistake of buying one. I have owned a variety of car brands and without doubt this brand is the worst of all.

I suggest anyone thinking of buying a Czech crate read the posts on here and ask if they want a piece of the action still.

My car is on a daily basis being gradually taken apart (today the door(s) came off). The bonnet, bumpers, rear hatch and lights were already removed for repair work. The car still (once car is rebuilt) has to then go to the dealer for mechanical fault work...windscreen creak, shocking mpgs, creaking brakes, trim falling off.

I have some great photos of the car in question in pieces. Not exactly what you would expect from a car delivered new built to order September last year. A £25k car, glad i never paid cash.

I still like Czech beer though....

The important thing is not to be rushed when checking your new car. It has cost you alot of money so take your time.

One thing to check is the spare wheel and jack if you have paid extra for it.... Sometimes the dealer "forgets" to tick the option when ordering and all you get is the tub of goo!

I forgot to agree with the tyre pressure issue. We have had one car delivered with tyres at over 50psi. Tyres are pumped to Transporter Pressures so when lashed down onto the transporter they are held down more firmly if the pressures are high. Definitely worth checking as its a major safety issue

Agree with not rushing, and check all areas of the car even less obvious ones.

Mine came without the driver's foot rest pedal installed. Didn't notice it when picking up the car as I have never had to check if a car had all it's pedals.... Only noticed when I 'hoovered' after 1st week.

Seriously these are s*** cars. A lesson learned never to be repeated in the mistake of buying one. I have owned a variety of car brands and without doubt this brand is the worst of all.

I suggest anyone thinking of buying a Czech crate read the posts on here and ask if they want a piece of the action still.

OK, we get you've had a dud and you don't like it or the experience you've had trying to get it sorted out.  But, on the other hand, I've had near-as-makes-no-difference 6 months of driving pleasure out of mine, with not a thing wrong with it (apart from the seatbelt buckle, but that was my own fault and was fortunately very easily sorted out) - and my dealer has been near enough faultless (apart from not repairing the chip on the front wing before collection).

I think you'll find all manufacturers suffer from issues, and if you think Skoda are the worst then you've evidently never owned a TVR (RIP) or an Alfa Romeo.  And there are some dealers out there who will try and get away with murder - but on the flip side there are also some that do go the extra mile to try and both win and keep your custom.

Oh, and if you think posts on a forum are a representative sample of the number of owners who have had problems vs. the number who haven't, then I fear that you perhaps don't quite have a grip on reality.  If you really don't like Skoda that much, sell the damn thing and buy something else.

• Like 3