Thinking of (giving up on life ;) ) buying a Roomster

Hi,

I have to say the Roomster has made me go WOW!!!  It is blimming huge inside!

My trusty Octy vRS is 12 years old now and my needs are different.  I've been looking at a dealer used 1.2 105 with DSG. Is there anything I should look out for?

Also how tough is the DSG box? (can you tell I am a luddite with this sort of stuff).  I've only had manuals before.

Cheers

Yup positively Tardis inside, especially if you remove the rear seats, then you realise just how useful it is..Yesterday I was shifting furniture in it, today transporting my little grand daughter..She loves it as well, because not only had it got large passenger windows but the glass roof impresses her as well. I`ve also got the 86bhp, which is adequate but would go for the 105bhp if I got another one. I`ve had the dsg box on an octavia and while it was fine, autos don`t float my boat, no matter how good they are...But running costs are low, and economy is impressive, for petrol engines. Can`t think of anything to avoid with these cars, there`re well screwed together and have a reputation for getting you home  :clap:

I drove the 86 in manual a while back and thought it was ok, now I own a 105dsg and I'm glad I didn't get the 86 as this is damn quick if you push it! Mine has a lot of spec which adds weight and  often carry a lot of gear. The engine is very impressive, everybody is suprised! In certain situations, maybe 30-50mph, because of the gearing I'd say it will accelerate as well as my 210 bhp vRS, I didn't expect that!

• Like 1

kids love the back as the rear seats are that little bit higher and they can see out the windows easier

also the back doors open so wide it is easy to get in and out

and where the rear seat are higher they are easier for less mobile people to get in and out

I want the 105 but there are hardly any about :( There are plenty of 85bhp though.  How is the 85bhp engine?  My work commute is 9 miles of mostly motorway and occasionally I will need to pull a small trailer with camping gear in it .  Would I be better buying an 85bhp and mapping it??

I've not bought a car for me in 7 1/2 years!!! It's a 'mare.

I want the 105 but there are hardly any about   There are plenty of 85bhp though.  How is the 85bhp engine?  My work commute is 9 miles of mostly motorway and occasionally I will need to pull a small trailer with camping gear in it .  Would I be better buying an 85bhp and mapping it??

I've not bought a car for me in 7 1/2 years!!! It's a 'mare.

Don`t be put off by the 86bhp..Its a more than adequate engine and will happily cope with your commute...Its well able, without any strain, to deal with motorway speeds whilst fully loaded (and beyond  :x )..Cant forsee any problems with the trailer although all the Roomsters  have a rather low towbar weight limit..The 105 is well wicked though  :devil:

Edited by paully

I was looking for a used Roomster or a Fabia2 in 2009 after being made redundant and leaving behind my Golf Plus 1.9 diesel. The Roomster should have been cheaper due to heavier depreciation but couldn't find one before a suitably priced 2007 Fabia 1.6 petrol turned up.

Would have been OK with Roomster as they do most of what a Yeti does but its looks are an acquired taste.

You'll get reliability as standard. A used one ought to reflect the above mentioned depreciation.

snip...

Would have been OK with Roomster as they do most of what a Yeti does but its looks are an acquired taste.

You'll get reliability as standard. A used one ought to reflect the above mentioned depreciation.

I looked at that once inside you did not see the outside

but also once you get over the cut and shut look from the side, the roomster is so damn versatile where you can remove the seats etc

had a roomster 2 1.9tdi and brilliant car, had a tow bar and it pulled all sorts of things loads on the towbar

I still miss it, shame I used the rear of a Renault leguna estate to stop :(

• 4 weeks later...

Test drove the 85bhp and I was genuinely shocked. It is blimming nippy!!!  Gutted they haven't got any of the bargain special editions in :(

If your prepared to travel you will find some.  saw one  at a dealership last week at 9995. 

Yup positively Tardis inside, especially if you remove the rear seats, then you realise just how useful it is..Yesterday I was shifting furniture in it, today transporting my little grand daughter..She loves it as well, because not only had it got large passenger windows but the glass roof impresses her as well. I`ve also got the 86bhp, which is adequate but would go for the 105bhp if I got another one. I`ve had the dsg box on an octavia and while it was fine, autos don`t float my boat, no matter how good they are...But running costs are low, and economy is impressive, for petrol engines. Can`t think of anything to avoid with these cars, there`re well screwed together and have a reputation for getting you home  :clap:

Thats one thing that has really blown me away about my Roomster,its a very early one [though with a low mileage as it was a second car ] yet the other day my uncle who recently spent over £17,000 on a 2nd hand top level Golf with every extra under the sun fitted,was a passenger in my car and was amazed that there wasn't a single squeak or rattle to be heard on our 10 mile journey over potholed roads to pick up his car from VAG servicing.I've been a front seat passenger in his Golf a few times now and with only 8,000 miles on the clock it has so many dashboard squeaks and noises from the door panels that it would drive me mad if I'd just spent that kind of money.

Thats one thing that has really blown me away about my Roomster,its a very early one [though with a low mileage as it was a second car ] yet the other day my uncle who recently spent over £17,000 on a 2nd hand top level Golf with every extra under the sun fitted,was a passenger in my car and was amazed that there wasn't a single squeak or rattle to be heard on our 10 mile journey over potholed roads to pick up his car from VAG servicing.I've been a front seat passenger in his Golf a few times now and with only 8,000 miles on the clock it has so many dashboard squeaks and noises from the door panels that it would drive me mad if I'd just spent that kind of money.

Glad you like it..These are produced at  Kvasiny factory in the Czech Republic and not some satellite plant. They are built by locals who are proud of the brand and have a vested interest in its success..I think this is what gives Skoda the edge in build quality, and eliminates a lot of the `squeak points`...Either way, I`m on my 3rd Skoda and not a rattle out of any of them  :clap:

• Like 1

The Roomster in our garage is our third, a 1.6Tdi CR105, the cabin is roomy but noisy compared to our former Citigo. The performance is more than adequate since remapping added another 45hp and lots of newton thingys.

This has resulted in the car that it always should have been, a competent mini-MPV with good mpg at a reasonable cost. The coming Roomster II has an uphill struggle to achieve the customer loyalty of its predecessor and I won't be trading in my example.

Tim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have only driven the 86bhp 1.2tsi and I find it rather slow off the mark. Once the turbo kicks in it is fine. The advantage over the 105bhp model is that it is a few insurance groups lower.

Edward

Edited by edbostan