Getting Flashed.....ooh eeerrrr

Since fitting my London Colour 4300K HID's, I have been flashed a few times now by other motorists, does anyone else have this problem?  I have now adjusted the lights onto the lowest setting (3) on the adjustment wheel, what else do people have this set too?

I don't have any weight in the car so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue.

Looks like I will have to look into full retrofit of Xenons and auto levelling now  :p

Thanks for any assistance.

Mark

I've been flashed twice in about a year. So no more than I normally would (night blind people who think you have full beam on).

I have mine on the highest setting (so just the - no number).

How far ahead of the car does the beam stretch?

Phil

I made a note on the wall opposite where I park before swapping over from the halogen lights and the light cut off points are the same. As i took the headlights out to fit the HID's is there anything I need to setup?

fitting aftermarket hid's in halogen octy headlights does dazzle people. The hid brigade will tell you im lieing but I can assure you they do dazzle which is why you are being flashed

I think its something to do with the bulb its self as the light housing is the same.

I get it occasionally with my "proper" xenons too. They are definitely aligned properly as I got my mate to redo them recently. I figure some people just don't like the brightness and feel dazzled enough to object.

What?!?!? Fitting HID's causes dazzle? Absolute rubbish. Octavia headlights have PROJECTOR lenses which are DESIGNED for xenon/HID bulbs.

You've just contradicted yourself there -- first you're saying that HID bulbs in halogen Octy headlights is a problem. And immediately afterwards you say the light housing is the same................ As you rightly say, the projectors are the very same for halogen or xenon factory issues. 

The reason that you are being flashed is simple -- the shorter HID bulbs (shorter than halogen) slightly alters the focal point behind the projectors, so slightly altering the alignment. Every thread about fitting HID lights says the same thing -- the beams need realigning to compensate for this.

Properly aligned, they do not dazzle any more than halogens. I have had londoncolour kits in both my Octys for 7 years (4300K) and 3 years (5000k), cannot ONCE recall oncoming vehicles objecting to the "dazzle" I'm obviously subjecting them to.

The true problem is when HID bulbs are fitted in reflector headlights which are only designed to use halogen bulbs. 

And the BIGGEST cause of dazzle on the roads today is folks running around with standard halogen setups which are so badly aligned that they are shining anywhere but where they should be.

Mike

Its not rubbish mike, im talking from experience not assumption.

I know they both use the same lense which is why I said I believe it might be due to the bulb causing dazzle.

FFS, cant you take anything other than "aftermarket hid's are the best thing in the world" when this subject comes up?!

• Like 1

AND from Octavia's ive seen with HID kits. I wouldnt make it up, what would I have to gain from that?

My argument suggests nothing of the sort.

My point was saying that the reason for dazzle could be the H7 hid bulb not reflecting the light aswell as a D1s bulb in the same housing. There will be a difference as its so much brighter.

I was, infact, thinking of a possible reason for aftermarket hid's in projector lenses other than saying simply they shouldnt be there.

I ran a London colour hid kit (5000k) for a few weeks and all I did was drop the beam very slightly to get the beam to same level as the halogens I took out.

No issues other than I panicked about damaging other things as it was not coded.

Now running Osram 4200k lights and they are pants in comparison to hids :(

So as Mike says correct alignment should keep you right.

I thought the reflector bowls were different between HID and halogen lights but I can't find the relevant thread. I'm sure it was on here somewhere...

So while I appreciate the following links are not octavia specific, they are for projector style headlights and compare HID to halogen reflector bowls on a couple of other cars. I'm happy to be wrong if you have got comparisons for the octavia as I'm very tempted to fit HID's myself.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?28642-HID-vs-Halogen-comparison-of-projector-bowls-etc&p=291528&viewfull=1#post291528

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?16902-HID-Projector-vs-Halogen-Projector-differences&p=161287&viewfull=1#post161287

What?!?!? Fitting HID's causes dazzle? Absolute rubbish. Octavia headlights have PROJECTOR lenses which are DESIGNED for xenon/HID bulbs.

You've just contradicted yourself there -- first you're saying that HID bulbs in halogen Octy headlights is a problem. And immediately afterwards you say the light housing is the same................ As you rightly say, the projectors are the very same for halogen or xenon factory issues. 

The reason that you are being flashed is simple -- the shorter HID bulbs (shorter than halogen) slightly alters the focal point behind the projectors, so slightly altering the alignment. Every thread about fitting HID lights says the same thing -- the beams need realigning to compensate for this.

Properly aligned, they do not dazzle any more than halogens. I have had londoncolour kits in both my Octys for 7 years (4300K) and 3 years (5000k), cannot ONCE recall oncoming vehicles objecting to the "dazzle" I'm obviously subjecting them to.

The true problem is when HID bulbs are fitted in reflector headlights which are only designed to use halogen bulbs. 

And the BIGGEST cause of dazzle on the roads today is folks running around with standard halogen setups which are so badly aligned that they are shining anywhere but where they should be.

Mike

"PROJECTOR lenses which are DESIGNED for xenon/HID bulbs". What is your source for this information, or did you just make it up to suit your point of view? So why do Skoda go to the expense of fitting different projectors for the HID lights in their cars?

"shorter HID bulbs (shorter than halogen) slightly alters the focal point behind the projectors" - correct, but that changes more than just the length of the beam it also alters the shape of the beam - hence the extra dazzle to other drivers.

Not all reflectors are designed for halogens. I know of several cars with factory reflector xenons, my own Subaru included. However, I do have a hatred for prats who put HIDs in halogen reflectors. I've also seen a few idiots with purple headlights. As said above, they put out no light at all.

I've owned two MkII Octavia with factory fit xenon's. Both correctly adjusted, I got flashed occasionally in both cars.

I now have a MkII Superb with a HID kit behind halogen projectors. Again properly adjusted (but no auto-levelling) and again I get the odd flash.

Having an avid interest in xenon's my experience suggests all xenon's dazzle to some degree depending on the manufacturer and angle of approach.

• Like 2

I thought the reflector bowls were different between HID and halogen lights but I can't find the relevant thread. I'm sure it was on here somewhere...

So while I appreciate the following links are not octavia specific, they are for projector style headlights and compare HID to halogen reflector bowls on a couple of other cars. I'm happy to be wrong if you have got comparisons for the octavia as I'm very tempted to fit HID's myself.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?28642-HID-vs-Halogen-comparison-of-projector-bowls-etc&p=291528&viewfull=1#post291528

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?16902-HID-Projector-vs-Halogen-Projector-differences&p=161287&viewfull=1#post161287

Correct, halogen projectors are different to HID projectors. Although both look the same from the front, the rear bowls are wider and fatter on HID projectors altering the focal points within the beam pattern. It results in a wider, smoother beam pattern without dark / hotspots.

That saying as with anything there are good projectors and cheap projectors for both halogen and HID. Unfortunately in the mk3 vRS Skoda have opted for cheap projectors and a poorly aligned cut off shield :-(

Edited by xpower