Cave oil consumption new fix updated two days ago by vag

Are these owners on Facebook getting it done under Manufactures Warranty on CAVE Engines or having to pay for it?

Many CAVE Engine cars are out of Manufacturers Warranty since the Original Engines were no longer fitted at the factory late Summer 2012.

There are a few Briskoda Members currently with Oil Consumption issues & only aftermarket Warranties.

Some Warranty Providers will have nothing to do with dealing with Oil Users since it was a Known Issue with VW. 

Or so they are trying to say.

I think most of them have managed to do it under warranty. I am exactly in the unfortunate position I had guessed I would be in case a final remedy was found at some point (as it has been) because the extended warranty I had bought was only valid for France and I have moved from there. However, even if I was still in France and thus eligible for warranty work, I think I would fail (means: pass) the oil test that you must take in order to have repair work authorized so maybe I shouldn't stress too much. Car has somehow reduced the consumption to a mere 100-150ml per 1000KM over the last 7000KM (seems to be very related to short trips) and it looks like it's keeping that habbit...

I guess for people that do have a big oil issue, they can raise a case against VW/Skoda having to pay for this as it's only their (manufacturers) fault they discovered what was wrong some 4 years after the first cars were sold, hence at a time when everybody was out of warranty (convenient eh?)

There's also people that have done that under their own cost which differs from country to country due to the differences in labour cost. I was quoted £460 GBP (SEK conversion) here in Sweden just for the oil jets, whereas in Greece it is something around £250 i think.

Mine's been using anywhere between 2000 and 5000km per litre, averaging around 3000 over 39,000km, so technically a pass by Skoda/VW standards. Seeing all of the stories here and on VW Watercooled (Oz VW forum) about the jets working, I thought I'd ask the question: can I have some? They asked me to do a consumption test first, and somehow I failed it (not really sorry in this case), so Skoda Oz approved the job under warranty.

I went in prepared for an argument this afternoon only to have all the hot air drain out of me when they said Skoda had already given the go-ahead.  :D

1lt per 5000km doesn't sound excessive but since they're ok to do it at their cost you can't argue with them, can you?  ;)

• Like 2

5 months were left of a 3 year warranty. The previous service adviser said she'd go into bat for me if it was around 0.4L/1000km as I'd serviced the car with them throughout, and had tried the two previous breather mods without much result. She was still quoting the official 0.5L line, which would probably apply to a customer they hadn't seen before.

The 1L per 5000km was an extreme sample: on holiday with mostly 100-110kph speeds. The other end of the scale - 1L per 2000km - is more common, due to shorter work-and-back trips in anything up to, and even beyond, 40 degrees Celsius.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

Well, I've been approved for the new oil jets. They seem to think the car used 1.2L over 1200km. My suspicion is it wasn't filled to the full 3.6L at the start of the test, as the new service adviser mentioned "2.4L was weighed out". I hadn't bothered doing a top up before I went in, so it may have been down a few hundred mls. Still seems too high, though I've noticed the levels go down faster as the total volume decreases. Anyway, it's booked for 2 days next week. My understanding was that it was a one day job, but I'm happy to avoid a rush job. I will report on the results when I have some data.

That's great news Oz.

Mine took 2 days but only because they forgot to order new sump bolts. At least they wont rush it through which I think is better.

• Like 1

Mines going in for a consumption test next week, my warranty runs out in september so i hope they get it sorted by then, these new oil jets look promising.

That's great news Oz.

Mine took 2 days but only because they forgot to order new sump bolts. At least they wont rush it through which I think is better.

Have you noticed any change on cold starts, DanielD? I seem to remember someone somewhere suggesting the bigger oil jets might be to help start in European winters.

Have you noticed any change on cold starts, DanielD? I seem to remember someone somewhere suggesting the bigger oil jets might be to help start in European winters.

None different than before Oz.

We are just heading into the cold months on the east coast so will see how it goes.

• Like 1

is it for the same engine with the audi? ive also sent a message but mine goes tomz anyway, still i think skoda deserve some bad publicity though

Not sure it's the same engine, but if Ann gets a sniff of it being a bigger VAG wide problem affecting multiple engines she'll be all over it I'm sure.

Might be worth sharing on other forums those of you on SCN etc.

Ann?.   The Presenter!

There have been people writing to Watchdog for several years, but it was maybe like with your mate the Motoring Journalist,

wanting quantity, not actual just cases.

He never bothered picking up on the issues did he or the magazine that he works for, the one that can have car of the year on a model not yet on sale.

Briskoda has never seen fit to Pin the OIl User Threads,

or even do the Recall Section so that REcalls that are not Recalls but a Service Campaign 

& Secret Service Campaigns in the UK can easily be found.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

<snip>

<snip>

In fairness to the Admins, if they were to pin all your "Oil User" threads one would have to wade through half a dozen screens before finding new threads or posts ;)

• Like 1

Ann?.   The Presenter!

There have been people writing to Watchdog for several years, but it was maybe like with your mate the Motoring Journalist,

wanting quantity, not actual just cases.

He never bothered picking up on the issues did he or the magazine that he works for, the one that can have car of the year on a model not yet on sale.

or even do the Recall Section so that REcalls that are not Recalls but a Service Campaign 

& Secret Service Campaigns in the UK can easily be found.

Have people really contacted them?  Everytime I've previously mentioned contacting the media it was met with "is there any point".  No one has ever said they have contacted anyone either.

Ref pinning threads, no one has ever requested staff pin any of them.  There are now a number of them. If you can send me a link with all of them, I'll merge them all and pin them into one large oil consumption thread.

• Like 2

Maybe nobody asked you, just ColinD.

Yes lots of information was sent to Watchdog, What Car, Auto Express, EVO, Car, Autocar and others and not only by me.

Only Honest John bothered saying anything on the Issues with the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twinchargers from 2009-2014

• Like 1

So ive started my test today, i was told to drive 188 miles and no more than 200 miles and take it back, the earliest saturday appointment they had was 4 weeks from now, so it looks like ill be using the mrs's felicia as i could prolly do the mileage in a day!

That is nonsense from them,  they are doing an official test based on covering 300 km,

then they will multiply the oil used and work it it on 1000 km's covered. 

They can just Drop and weigh the Oil after 1000 km (621 miles) and actually get a proper result 

if Skoda / VW like to say ' May use 0.5 Litres in 1000 km.' 

I would contact them, and Skoda UK CS and say not be without a car.

If they can nit get it back until 4 weeks from now on a Saturday they can provide a courtesy car, or carry out a proper test 

with real miles covered.

It makes no difference if the next part is in 621 miles or 1,242 miles, well as long as the Oil Warning light does not come on.

? Is the Oil Filler & Dipstick sealed, because if it is, they are getting a true test on the longer distance,  only 300 km (188 miles) 

is nothing like accurate.

• Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly with George. 188 to 200 miles is ridiculous, it sounds as if the garage knows that the car is going to run seriously low on oil before 621 miles.

Either way, there is no excuse for leaving you without a car for four weeks.

• Like 1

TBh my oil usage isn't that bad, its border line, they haven't even sealed the oil fill or the dipstick either, im gonna give them a call in the morning to discuss as i dont feel its being taken seriously to be fair.

Is it an official test for Skoda UK and Warranty work,

New oil and filter in and brought up to temperature then dropped and weighed?

Be sure to get a copy of the Test report, weight of the oil drained at the start of the test, then what the weight is when drained again.

yeah its an official test being done under warranty, 

I'd reported 0.5l per 600 miles on average but i went on holiday a few weeks ago, so slow economical driving as i had the bike on the roof and i used 1L in 600 miles,

he was a bit vague on explaining what they had done, and was more interested in telling me 0.5l per 600 miles was normal, i replied with any decent engine shouldnt use any lol

told me the oil was at capacity and they would drop it when i came back, they had the car for an hour so im assuming they dropped it then refilled it from empty, but who knows?

Ill definitely be asking for a hard copy of the test report so i can check against what's on here and we'll see what happens, to be fair i can't see why i can just drive more than 200 mile as its only maths at the end of the day, ill end up driving it like i dont normally and getting a result, that's not of normal driving of the car,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...