Goodyear question

mk4gtiturbo

vRS needs two new boots.  I've had Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 previously and they were brilliant but on the Blackcircles website there is also EfficientGrip Performance as well.

Anyone had experience of the EfficientGrip?  Are they better than the F1s?

According to the Internet the treadwear rating for the F1AS2 is 300 and it's 340 for the EGP. The EGP is still a very good tyre and should last longer than the F1AS2.

I have a set of F1AS2s on mine but the car had the older design EfficientGrips on when I got it and they were still decent.

I've got the EfficientGrip Perf summer tyres as the OEM fitment on my Yeti and they're OK. They seem to prioritise noise and wear over grip and feel. I'll chnage them for something more feelsome when the time comes, probably Continentals SP5s

Many years ago we had F1 GS-D2 and they were brilliant in the wet. After they stopped being available in our size, and the replacement model also wasn't available our size, I thought about what I most wanted from a tyre and, deciding that I wanted good wet weather grip throughout the life of the tyre, selected Goodyear Hydragrip.

When Hydragrip was no longer available in our size, I moved on to Goodyear Optigrip as that seemed to be the replacement mode. When Optigrip started getting in short supply, I asked Goodyear technical support what model replaced it, and they said Efficient Grip Performance. I hope it's as good in the wet as the earlier tyres ...

• 2 weeks later...

So is the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 I believe.

So it is, I right it was lesser rated but checked and you are right.  

Eagle fi asymmetric 2. Is E for fuel, A for wet grip, 69dB

Efficient grip performance is B, A, 68dB

Both seem to get some reviews about getting damaged side walls easily, but generally get good reviews.

I had the efficient grips on a previous car for 15 months, thought they were fine and noticeably better on fuel than previous tyres, but can't confirm the experience with the vrs yet

• 4 weeks later...

On Saturday I had a pair of Goodyear EGPs fitted - less that £100 each from Black Circles.  Can't comment on the dry grip levels yet as I am still scrubbing them in but they are significantly quieter than the Chinese Ditch-hunters the car came fitted with!  Living in 'sunny' Devon I can also vouch for their water-clearing abilities!

Thanks, just checked cams kill they have 2 types of Goodyear F1's both the the same price.

One is asymmetric and the other is GSD3 what's the difference between these 2??

I've just fitted 4 Goodyear F1's on my MKIII Vrs, Impresed withn the Wet/Dry Grip and there quiet

And that's saying something from a seasoned Rainsport man :)

Thanks, just checked cams kill they have 2 types of Goodyear F1's both the the same price.

One is asymmetric and the other is GSD3 what's the difference between these 2??

Does anyone know the difference?