new feature, simply clever ;)

JJC I am thinking of same, one for this car and one for the Fabia

Useful I reverse out my drive way and it can just add to the inputs you have to consider if its safe to move (actually more useful on the Fabia as that has no sensors, at least I already have park assist on the octy just no camera).

Doesn't have to be the full price option in my understanding, it might just mean more work than the official, if you are prepared to put some work in.

Looking at perhaps the number plate camera option as that's something I'm interested in for my Pioneer dual unit in the Fabia,

I wonder if they do a similar non screwed in option. Actually I have seen one simlar looking already thats meant to be for the superb but not sure they mean old model buts its definitely the click in type.

I think its a bit mad to spend £250 for wire and OEM camera handle to be honest, its just an extra rca camera.

Helpful if you share the camera you use and if it gets working, for the community that is.

Some pictures

2r6em2w.jpg

9hjtcx.jpg

Used this camera (china). I had to do a little brico (cut some metal in the car), because it´s sligtly larger in the connection point,but it is OK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360771665975?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I want to thank to Aki78 and Trust2K, great tips  :thumbup:

Thats the one I meant, or similar. The sizes vary a lot though, shame this seller didn't list them for clarity.

To add the RCA connector (female) as most cameras that you get will be a RCA male connector is easy you just need the fakra female connectors to add to the existing connector

in the connector to the MIB. The camera I have ordered is a little bigger that the existing numberplate light so will need a little bit of modification to fit. I will post once

I get the camera to ensure it can be done. If any one is in the Wiltshire area I am happy to help with the connector as I still have enough to make 3 more connections

I also have VCDC to do the coding.

John

• Like 2

The one I have ordered is 79mm wide by 31 width From my measurements the existing light dimentions are 75 X 31 so with a bit of cutting it should fit

John

• Like 1

They seem they are phone specific connections like muting etc. Probably for an optional phone car connection kit, which makes sense for a media module.

Most radios have them.

If anyone is interested in alternatives, i found this camera in the license plate light socket: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151800614994 . Similar items are also found on aliexpress.

I will get back with feedback after install.

That looks ideal if it fits the existing hole for the light.

OK, as the weather was good today and the camera arrived on Thu decided to finish the install attached are some pics.

post-3779-0-84906500-1459609915_thumb.jpg

power to the camera and wi-fi module from the rear wiper (only live with IG on)

post-3779-0-03419500-1459609941_thumb.jpg

The wi-fi module

post-3779-0-03993000-1459609969_thumb.jpg

Wires neetened up

post-3779-0-74178200-1459609982_thumb.jpg

The power and video connections from the camera

post-3779-0-67346300-1459610005_thumb.jpg

wi-fi module tied up

post-3779-0-80230500-1459610068_thumb.jpg

Ground connection for the wi-fi reciever module located behind the panel on the left side of the dash

post-3779-0-67060900-1459610077_thumb.jpg

The wi-fi reciever

post-3779-0-03324100-1459610092_thumb.jpg

The wi-fi reciever tucked away

post-3779-0-39051500-1459610105_thumb.jpg

Fuse location on the board (only live when IG on) and the video in to the MIB

post-3779-0-60759500-1459610119_thumb.jpg

View on display when reverse selected (pre head-unit firmware update)

post-3779-0-38683900-1459610137_thumb.jpg

View of the fitted camera

post-3779-0-85297000-1459610152_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the camera

post-3779-0-95055200-1459610163_thumb.jpg

View on the headunit with reverse selected (post firmware update)

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this update

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, jjc. That's got me seriously tempted to do this.

when you say "firmware update", do you mean activating the camera using VCDS?

Edited by Prog

Thanks, jjc. That's got me seriously tempted to do this.

when you say "firmware update", do you mean activating the camera using VCDS?

Reversing camera works much better with newer HU firmware.

The controls hide automatically and the background is transparent.

With old FW: video

With new (0435 and higher on Bolero/Amundsen): video

You still have to activate the camera with VCDS but FW update is a different thing. :)

Edited by aki78

Reversing camera works much better with newer HU firmware.

The controls hide automatically and the background is transparent.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure what firmware I'm running but I've had the car less than two weeks so it should be fairly recent. I'll check when I'm next in the car.

Prog, this is the one I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=131539413853&view=all&tid=1205900658003

However this needs you to enlarge the number plate light hole, however this one may not need any change http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151800614994?clk_rvr_id=1008751935344&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

and you can get the wireless kits from other sellers or give them a shout as they may have them.

John

It will be no different from 2.4Ghz wireless video senders, just with power for a car.

They have some limitations (being analogue) so aren't ideal, aren't going to be as good as straight connection.

But with them being pretty close might make they not far off good. Obviously subsceptible to traffic on the 2.4Ghz signal range, hopeffully in a car shouldn't be much competition in that regard ?

Looks quite handy for simplistic installation, of course you can always give it a punt and if doesn't work take off and sell lol