Is this bad?

Oh yeah another question! Does the car come with Xenon headlamps installed??

Nope. No option for xenon headlamps on any mk2 fabia model.

Can easily be retrofitted though and the projector lights perform well with em. I've done it, and so have quite a few others on here

Fair enough!

Anyway I've got the car and I'm picking it up on Thursday!

Can't wait to get it home. Eight hours of driving before hand however! I won't want to see it afterward! Haha

• Like 1

I've always filled up with 99 Ron . . . it's what Skoda recommend you run it on.

Skoda do not recommend 99 RON, they recommend 99 RON or 95 RON - look behind the fuel filler flap.

Even George says that "Sainsbury, Esso and BP Super Unleaded in the UK are 97 ron Minimum so might or may exceed that.  Only Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro are 99 ron Minimum."

So 97 RON from Sainsbury, Esso, BP or elsewhere is most likely to be the nearest to Skoda's recommendation of 98 RON.

Skoda do not recommend 99 RON, they recommend 99 RON or 95 RON - look behind the fuel filler flap.

Even George says that "Sainsbury, Esso and BP Super Unleaded in the UK are 97 ron Minimum so might or may exceed that. Only Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro are 99 ron Minimum."

So 97 RON from Sainsbury, Esso, BP or elsewhere is most likely to be the nearest to Skoda's recommendation of 98 RON.

I've read behind the filler cap.

Now, where's the ignore function before my unblemished warning history comes to an abrupt end.

it is 'Super 98' and minimum 95 they can run on.

so yes 97 min might well be fine.

?

Does exceeding 98 ron cause some problem?

You are absolutely right, Skoda do NOT recommend 99 RON, I should have written 98 rather than 99 - a typo on my part.

As to whether higher than 98 RON will cause problems, who can say, it is not what Volkswagen designed the engine to use and is likely only a waste of a few pence per litre - but probably entirely harmless.

Lol , I've heard it all now ! :)

Funny to hear that 97 is closer to 98 than 98 is to 99 !

You didn't hear it and you clearly didn't read it either.  According to George - 97 ron Minimum and 99 ron Minimum - note the word "Minimum".

Should have gone to Specsavers ;)

You might wonder why the Manufacturers do bother telling Customers when they do bother to about the Recommended Fuels.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

I know this is about the 2.0 l TSI Engines, but then getting 180-185 PS Minimum and better from the 1390 cc engine 

is done well with the Prescribed or Recommended Octane Fuel, because the Engineers had an idea what they were after.

* 99 ron fuel was not commonly available in the UK when the Owners Manuals were published,

and no account seems to have been taken on UK Super Unleaded being a Lower Octane than Super

Unleaded on Main Land Europe.

100-102 ron is even nicer with the Twinchargers, worth a try when across in Mainland Europe.

vhx26,

have you yet tried a vRS Twincharger on the different octane fuels?  Any experiences to share?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Still laughing !

97 octane fuel doesnt meet Skoda recommendations , 99 octane fuel not only meets but exceeds Skoda recommendations as does 102 octane fuel which is available albeit not widely.

There is no downside to exceeding the recommended octane rating , there is however a downside to not meeting it either by a reduction in performance or on some engines potential damage.

• Like 2

That would be a good idea IMHO.

If the tank is not full, just fill it right away with Momentum or Shell V-Power Nitro,

but the Momentum costs less, and Shells Secret Additives / Detergents are not worth paying more for,

again just IMHO.

vxh26 would disagree probably on the 99 ron,

but then we have no idea if he has ever put fuel in a vRS, or knows anything other than he gets from the internet.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Momentum is a lot less than V-Power nitro in my area. I'll have to find a station up there to fill it up with. Car comes with the sat nav and a petrol station finder in so that's handy!

Why not do the sane thing and use 97 RON?

It is available everywhere and is the nearest to what Skoda recommend.

You clearly have a different idea of sanity compared to other people.

• Like 2

It will be a mix of 95 and 99, but thats ok,  

because it will be even more of a percentage of the higher octane next time.

Please yourself if you run down the 95 ron before filling up, or put in the higher octane and give the car the good run home, but the car will be sitting now getting condensation in the Fuel Tank in chilly and sunny Scotland.

& the Petrol in might be months old.

LOL @ vhx26,

Less is better because 97 is a lower number than 98, so must be more suitable than 99, after all they are just Numbers, 

like paying 97 pence is preferable to 99 pence. 

Man Maths.

http://petrolprices.com

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

vxh26 the Motor Engineering way.  

Under Inflate your tyres because the lower pressure will be nearer the manufacturers figure than higher pressures.

If you have a Tuning box fitted or Remap, have it produce less than you can achieve, because best to be near the Manufacturers figure.

so go below 177 bhp Minimum rather than above, you know it makes sense.

There is a situation were less might be better, & that is with Weight.

Remove the Manufacturers Ballast Weights from the rear Crash Bar,

& be 'near' the Manufacturers Figures for Unladen.

• Like 3