Car Breakdown Cover

I negotiated a 4 year extended warranty when purchasing my vehicle in 2013

The purchase document states RAC cover for the normal three year period and, rather belatedly, I thought it wise to check whether this would be extended in line with the warranty.

The feedback from VAG was uncertain and it was suggested contacting the AA at the end of the three year period to check whether my details remained on the system

When I queried the AA's involvement, I was advised that VAG have changed their Breakdown Cover provider.

Is this common knowledge?

Yes it changed from the RAC back over to the AA last year or maybe the tail end of 2013.

I've used Skoda Assist a few times since 2006 and it has always been an RAC patrol that attended. Then i had to use Skoda Assist (VAG Assist) three times last year (Two incidents but one of them entailed two separate visits..... Long story) I had an AA relay lorry take me home initially and then an actual VAG Assist tech the following morning (The only time i've ever had one of the VAG Assist guys attend over the years). The third time was when i had a puncture and the wheel wouldn't come off so i called them to do it... That was a normal AA patrol that came out but i did tell them that i didn't need a VAG tech as it was only a puncture etc....

The VAG Assist guy was really good. While he was taking me back home from the dealership after dropping off my car he was chatting away and was saying how since he started the job around ten years ago he had TUPE'd from the AA to the RAC and now back to the AA again. He reckoned that working under the RAC was better and didn't like the computerised system the AA use. (That morning he had left home in Liverpool to go to a call in Stoke.... Got all but 30 minutes from Stoke and then got told to go over to me in North Sheffield instead!!!!).

If you have purchased the Skoda extended warranty with a new car like me, I purchased the 5 year with mine last year, I was told that the warranty does not include RAC/AA for the remaining 2 years... This is confirmed on the warranty breakdown car I received.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have purchased the Skoda extended warranty with a new car like me, I purchased the 5 year with mine last year, I was told that the warranty does not include RAC/AA for the remaining 2 years... This is confirmed on the warranty breakdown car I received.

That kinda sucks, didnt realise that  ! My mum bought the extended warranty at the 3 yr point and that does include breakdown

How much is the cover?

That kinda sucks, didnt realise that  ! My mum bought the extended warranty at the 3 yr point and that does include breakdown

I think you are right.. With my old Seat Exeo, I was offered it at the end of the 3 years and I think that did come with RAC/AA... 

How much is the cover?

Think it was about £500-£600 for The 2 years extra, a lot of money but with a DSG box small price for piece of mind Lol 

Usually keep the cars 4 years or around that

Just extended my cover for 2 years. Cost £770, including AA membership - which isn't too bad, the AA cover alone is worth probably getting on for £300? There are 1 or 2 year extensions available, with or without breakdown assistance (actually it's a lot more than that) - the £770 is the most expensive 2 years plus roadside assistance package. As I cover around 28000 miles per year, I was really please that there's no mileage (just calendar date) limits - so my June 2012 Superb will be covered by warranty until about 116000 miles (it's expiry at 60000 miles plus 2 years at 28000 per year), 2 years from now! Now that's even better than the 5 year / 100000 warranties from Toyota / Hyundai / Kia, or Vauxhall's 'lifetime' warranty!

I expect 'wear and tear' to be excluded - bulbs, tyres, etc., indeed these are excluded from the 'new' warranty (unless it fails on the forecourt before you drive off!). But I won't get any big bills if something fails, e.g. a gearbox or pump etc.

Basically for around £450, I can keep my car for a further 2 years, which is far less depreciation than buying new or nearly new now.

I was in the AA - had been for donkeys years - but the last renewal price I got for the same package I had before (same as the skoda package) was £251!!!!! For 12 months! When I phoned them, they said they could reduce it. B*stards! So for trying to rip me off as a loyal customer, I told them where to shove their service - hence the need for cover once the original warranty ran out.

I note that insurance companiesnow seem to be not ripping 'loyal' customers off in the same way - for the first time I can recall, renewing mine and my wifes policies (2 cars, 2 policies) was actually cheaper than taking a new policy (even with the same provider). Now if only the utility companies did the same . . . . .

So I'm quite content with what I've bought (as I said, I weigh the cost against buying a replacement car).

I'm looking into breakdown cover and 3rd party warranties at the moment as manufacturer warranty runs out next month. Green Flag is £48, with cash back of £25 through Quidco makes it £23 for Recovery Plus - which is their best level of UK cover. Warranty Direct works out at £450 for 1year after a similar Quidco cash back deal. Benefit of Warranty Direct is that various wear and tear is covered.

Just to update my own post: I took out Green Flag against the big Sko' with personal cover.  This personal cover also covers me (and also my good lady) for any car that either of us are driving or a passenger in.  So we are a 3 car family, and to get the full UK package covering all cars has just cost me £78, with £25 to come back as cash-back: so, just over £50.  Ker-ching.  I've been with GF for quite a few years now with my other car, and every year I do the Quidco cashback thing.  Have had to call them out approx. twice a year each time to jump start a flat battery, and each time they send the local recovery firm and have been with me within 30 mins, or at a pre-agreed time (i.e. to jump start me at the time I leave work).

I have been told the opposite by the dealership I have just bought a new Yeti from. I will follow this up with Skoda Customer Services.