2.0 TSI vRS fuel consumption

@LeMans

If you buy 2.0 TSI vRS, then fuel consumption mustn't be your concern.  

At least my it isn't...  :D

I have it now for 3 months. No mater what I do, my average consumption is around 9.2 L/100km, that's 25.6 MPG.

I tried one tank on Sport mode, one tank on Normal and one on Eco mode. There is no difference... about consumption.

Before vRS I had Ford Mondeo MKIII 1.8 16v (125) Petrol from 2004, for 9 nine years, and my consumption was the same. It must be my driving style... :notme:

669658.png

Edited by zxcslo

It must be my driving style... :notme:

669658.png

So, do you floor it and still get around 9.2? If that is the case, what more can a guy ask for? :)

...can you tell I can't wait the four months for mine?

Well... floor it...

Where on normal roads can you use all the power that vRS have... :-)

On highways there a different story. But when you go 200 km/h or more, there is no motor with 'low' consumption.

I say this: for a car like TSI vRS, anything under 10L/100km is acceptable. At least for me... That's why I bought it.

Driving style is a major factor but the roads you use are far in a way the largest factor, Telboy for example has remapped his TSI vRS to 325bhp but does alot of motorway miles and hence, still sees very good mpg figures so, if your gonna be driving more challenging roads you'll use more fuel, less involved driving requires less fuel, simple really.

@themanwithnoaim

You are absolutely right. I don't drive much on highways.

You can get good consumption, if you are carefull, but I didn't buy this car to be carefull. I buy it to enjoy it and that you can't, if you are worried about MPG. :-)

Stealth 2's average fluctuated between 18 and 21mpg.... She was a tfsi and revo'd, and mpg didn't concern me, but towards the end of her life, I was using her for work... a hardship, I know... :D , stealth 3 is used for work, but as a diseasal, im getting 50mpg already from new and after the dtuk box, that average just climbs and climbs... win win...

Last year when I went to West Somerset, I brimmed the tank and did Shere to Blue Anchor Bay and a couple of trips into Exmoor, plus Barnstaple & back to Blue Anchor and got 406 out of 1 tank, before the warning light came on, I could probably have let it go to 420-425 without any issue, but down there petrol stations (especially 24hr ones) are few and far between.

Stealth 2's average fluctuated between 18 and 21mpg.... She was a tfsi and revo'd, and mpg didn't concern me, but towards the end of her life, I was using her for work... a hardship, I know... :D , stealth 3 is used for work, but as a diseasal, im getting 50mpg already from new and after the dtuk box, that average just climbs and climbs... win win...

Einstein,  Newton and countless others would suggest that its not possible to get more power and use less fuel. It's actually the fundamental principle of modern thermodynamics.

Einstein,  Newton and countless others would suggest that its not possible to get more power and use less fuel. It's actually the fundamental principle of modern thermodynamics.

That works when you drive normally and dont use most of the power. If you use all the power you will use more fuel.

Unless of course you use 100RON dilithium crystals.  ;)

Einstein, Newton and countless others would suggest that its not possible to get more power and use less fuel. It's actually the fundamental principle of modern thermodynamics.

Totally correct, though where remaps and tuning boxes can improve fuel economy is when you use 'normal' acceleration as the increase in torque gets you to the desired speed quicker and as acceleration is inefficient that's where you can improve economy but you then offset that by having morefun...

Totally correct, though where remaps and tuning boxes can improve fuel economy is when you use 'normal' acceleration as the increase in torque gets you to the desired speed quicker and as acceleration is inefficient that's where you can improve economy but you then offset that by having morefun...

I don't wish to split hairs and if you've happy that's great.  However, the creation of torque requires fuel. Simple physics says that the more torque that is generated, the more fuel is required. Getting the maximum efficiency from an engine is what manufacturers spend millions on as it enables them to grab headlines and is great for marketing (even though they're never achievable). If efficiency could be improved by the addition of a box then SUK should fire all of their engineers and designers and start again.

If you make more power then you spend less time with the throttle open to get to the desired speed thats the only reason tuned cars are more efficient and get better mpg

If it takes 60hp to keep a Superb diesel at 80mph then it will use the same amount of fuel to make that 80mph whether the car is tuned or stock it may however use less fuel to get to 80mph in the first place

Fuel efficiency and low emissions do not go hand in hand and we all know where car designers are concentrating their efforts

• Like 1

I have owned 4x 2L Petrol Turbo cars. The VRS is by far the most efficient of the bunch (the Subaru's were most fun).

3dr '87 Cosworth - 15-20mpg (I remember that  it struggled to beat 200miles per tank and it had a bigger tank than the VRS)

UK Impreza Turbo - 20mpg

Import STI IV Impreza Turbo - 17-18mpg (super short gearing crippled economy)

Octavia VRS TSI - 27.5mpg (recorded accurately during first 7K miles)

Edited by Orville

The point I was originally making is this...

As standard, I feel the car is woefully inadequate in the performance department, I would drive in an uneconomical way to enable the engine to be in a gear which I have been trained to feel will allow the car to respond to my inputs. Therefore, as standard and with my driving style, the car is inefficient.

After dtuk, I know I have the performance on hand should I need it, therefore, I drive more economically for the rest of the time, not having to keep the engine on the boil as it were.. Sort of like not having to keep it in the 'power band' as one did with two stroke motorcycles.

That was the efficiency point that I was making. It gives the engine more flexibility and a wider window of operation. It allows me to use more economical methods the rest of the time...

From my DSG I'm getting low 20's per gallon, from a full tank light came on around 220 and then filled up again on 245 ish, mine is mainly due to short journey to work and car barely warms up. At weekend an hour journey on A road did touch 40mpg.

• Like 1

From my DSG I'm getting low 20's per gallon, from a full tank light came on around 220 and then filled up again on 245 ish, mine is mainly due to short journey to work and car barely warms up. At weekend an hour journey on A road did touch 40mpg.

Does it make any difference selecting ECO / Normal / Sport?

I'm fed up of being sensible and watching mpg (plus I only do relatively short journeys) - hence the move from the diesel Blackline to a new vRS TSI DSG estate on 1st March - guess I know what to expect now but I'm going to have more fun doing it!

Don't know if it makes a big difference brooksuk, never seems to on odd journeys when switching, don't know about keeping it in one mode for a full tank, too tempting to knock in sport now and then. Certainly great fun to drive, the short 3 mile journey to work is what keeps mine low, enjoy the car when you get it, what colour did you go for mate [emoji6]

Initially ordered metal grey but the more I looked at it the more I thought it was just too dark. By process of elimination I changed it to race blue!

• Like 1

Some good feedback thanks everyone. So 250 miles a tank roughly?