Women and cars

Chris

One assumes, given the thread title some women are involved in the testing of cars at NCAP?. :giggle:

Just saying. ;)

Not off topic in off topic chat again?  :x

• Like 2

One assumes, given the thread title some women are involved in the testing of cars at NCAP?. :giggle:

Just saying. ;)

The T Rex in  the room, or one of them, is that women, and generally shorter people, sit closer to the dash and there have been studies showing that you are better off the further you sit back.   I think it was one of the reasons that 2 stage air bags were developed as many women and shorter men were hurt quite badly by the inflation of the air bag never mind the actual accident.  It has been equated as more forceful than being hit by Mike Tyson.    http://www.roaddriver.co.uk/safety-tips/drivers-airbags/

With all the Euro-NCAP testing I think it is often forgotten that one should make sure ones tyres are good nick (personally more than 3mm of tread or 4 mm on my Winters) and one sits back as far as comfortably possible (more so for women than men as men usually sit back). I normally put the seat back to the last notch, if it feels to far then come back one and either setting is best for me but I am over 6ft and there have been some cars I cannot drive comfortably as they do not have enough adjustment.  

Wiki Entry about airbags    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

Airbag fatality statistics - From 1990 to 2000, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identified 175 fatalities caused by air bags. Most of these (104) have been children, while the rest were adults. About 3.3 million air bag deployments have occurred during that interval, and the agency estimates more than 6,377 lives saved and countless injuries prevented.[74][76]

The T Rex in  the room, or one of them, is that women, and generally shorter people, sit closer to the dash 

Pet hate of mine that is, women who sit so close to the wheel that they could steer with their tits.

It's no wonder most of them can't park. They can only get a quarter turn on the wheel.

I don't buy the shorter legs excuse on account of most of them having fatter arses than men

which should get their feet just as close to the pedals.

• Like 1

Pet hate of mine that is, women who sit so close to the wheel that they could steer with their tits.

It's no wonder most of them can't park. They can only get a quarter turn on the wheel.

I don't buy the shorter legs excuse on account of most of them having fatter arses than men

You don't buy the shorter legs excuse? What? My aunt is 4ft11 and has to sit very close to the steering wheel or she can't reach the pedals, that is that. Clearly must be infuriating for you! What's the size of our 'fat arses' got to do with anything either? Would you prefer us to tie things to our shoes?

And I guess it's ok for a bloke who is short in stature (cos it's not out the realm of impossibility) to sit close to the steering wheel? Cos he's not 'steering with his tits'.

Good lord, can see why there is so many feminazis out there.

• Like 4

The T Rex in the room, or one of them, is that women, and generally shorter people, sit closer to the dash and there have been studies showing that you are better off the further you sit back. I think it was one of the reasons that 2 stage air bags were developed as many women and shorter men were hurt quite badly by the inflation of the air bag never mind the actual accident. It has been equated as more forceful than being hit by Mike Tyson. http://www.roaddriver.co.uk/safety-tips/drivers-airbags/

With all the Euro-NCAP testing I think it is often forgotten that one should make sure ones tyres are good nick (personally more than 3mm of tread or 4 mm on my Winters) and one sits back as far as comfortably possible (more so for women than men as men usually sit back). I normally put the seat back to the last notch, if it feels to far then come back one and either setting is best for me but I am over 6ft and there have been some cars I cannot drive comfortably as they do not have enough adjustment.

Wiki Entry about airbags http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

Airbag fatality statistics - From 1990 to 2000, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identified 175 fatalities caused by air bags. Most of these (104) have been children, while the rest were adults. About 3.3 million air bag deployments have occurred during that interval, and the agency estimates more than 6,377 lives saved and countless injuries prevented.[74][76]

So the hoody wearing wide boys who drive with the seat pushed as far back as possible and reclined until it nearly touches the back seat are doing it because it's safer then???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You don't buy the shorter legs excuse? What? My aunt is 4ft11 and has to sit very close to the steering wheel or she can't reach the pedals, that is that. Clearly must be infuriating for you! What's the size of our 'fat arses' got to do with anything either? Would you prefer us to tie things to our shoes?

And I guess it's ok for a bloke who is short in stature (cos it's not out the realm of impossibility) to sit close to the steering wheel? Cos he's not 'steering with his tits'.

While I agree that he is going too far with the fat arses thing however he is correct by not buying the shortwer legs part. Women have longer legs than men, if you get a man and a woman of the same height the woman has the longer legs of the two. http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/georgena-terry/womens-body-proportions-different-mens/

So the hoody wearing wide boys who drive with the seat pushed as far back as possible and reclined until it nearly touches the back seat are doing it because it's safer then???

I have mine as far back as it can go because even that isn't far enough. Non'd have the seat reclined though because in the even of a crash you would smash your head harder on the head restraint.

blah blah blah

Did I say all women sit too close did I ?

I said the ones who sit TOO close get on my wick. 

But that's women for you! Going off on one about what they think a bloke said rather than what he actually did say. 

Get over yourself dear.

It's no wonder there aren't many women that post on here with this kind of response.

Read that again and can see both sides, people are touchy!

One point is that if I ever see a driver cuddling the steering wheel with nose against the windcsreen it is usually a woman though, not a man-not sure why?

While I agree that he is going too far with the fat arses thing however he is correct by not buying the shortwer legs part. Women have longer legs than men, if you get a man and a woman of the same height the woman has the longer legs of the two. http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/georgena-terry/womens-body-proportions-different-mens/

I have mine as far back as it can go because even that isn't far enough. Non'd have the seat reclined though because in the even of a crash you would smash your head harder on the head restraint.

Do you wear a baseball cap and hoody combo though?

But that's women for you! Going off on one about what they think a bloke said rather than what he actually did say. 

Get over yourself dear.

No, you didn't say that all of them sat too close, but you did say most of them did. That's not the point though because I didn't disagree with you on that point, I disagreed with the point made that women have shorter legs and gave evidence to back that up. My evidence went in line with your opinion but used facts instead of your view that women have fat arses thus resulting in a seating position closer to the steering wheel than what would normally be considered acceptable and safe. If someone defending your view gets on your wick then maybe your wick is too short.

While I agree that he is going too far with the fat arses thing however he is correct by not buying the shortwer legs part. Women have longer legs than men, if you get a man and a woman of the same height the woman has the longer legs of the two. http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/georgena-terry/womens-body-proportions-different-mens/

Do you wear a baseball cap and hoody combo though?

No, but those sort of people usually drive smaller cars which have less leg room so the positions would be the same as mine I would have thought.
  • Like 2

Get over yourself dear.

Wow someone's touchy... No you didn't say *all* but disect at your previous comment...

You said you disliked women (not people) who sit too close to the steering wheel... Does stature not enter into your narrow minded consideration? If someone is 5 ft and under which isn't unusual in women I know many... They will tend to have short legs. People come in all shapes and sizes, and leg length can also vary regardless of height. So your bug bare (which was entirely aimed at women) is short women who have the unfortunate disadvantage that her legs aren't very long and she has to pull the seat forward.

Now you tell me if that's justified.

Tell you what my bug bare is, pig headed people. :)

• Like 2

While I agree that he is going too far with the fat arses thing however he is correct by not buying the shortwer legs part. Women have longer legs than men, if you get a man and a woman of the same height the woman has the longer legs of the two.

Granted!! But like I said in my previous post to the other guy, leg length can vary so that can account for a 5ft woman sitting closer to the steering wheel than another 5ft woman and indeed a 5ft man. I know a few other women the same height as me and none of our leg lengths are the same.

Also, men tend to be taller so it's unusual to see a man sit so close to the steering wheel. :)

• Like 1

Granted!! But like I said in my previous post to the other guy, leg length can vary so that can account for a 5ft woman sitting closer to the steering wheel than another 5ft woman and indeed a 5ft man. I know a few other women the same height as me and none of our leg lengths are the same.

Also, men tend to be taller so it's unusual to see a man sit so close to the steering wheel. :)

So how is it my wife and I are the same height and she sits 2 notches closer than me to the steering wheel.......?

Aah........she's very trim and I'm rather not  :D

• Like 2

Misogyny is often dressed up as 'humour' . Most of us can see through it though :(

Tbh Natalie, I haven't seen too much of it on Brisky over the years and many men like the fact there are a few petrol headed females on here. But you always get the odd one or two........:(

• Like 2

So how is it my wife and I are the same height and she sits 2 notches closer than me to the steering wheel.......?

Aah........she's very trim and I'm rather not  :D

My wife sits closer too, though she's niether the same height as me or trim! Ladies average height is shorter which will result in them sitting closer anyway and I'm guessing because they are on average also not as strong as blokes they feel more comfortable sitting closer because they can get better leverage on the steering wheel too, though even SWMBO sometimes makes less than complimentary comments on the ladies who sit really close......

I would like to see pedals that move forward and backwards and not just the seats, could be so much safer I think.  New La Ferrari and some Ford's and other US cars could be spec'd with movable pedals for about £150 I gather.

Could be a major advancement for Road safety. 

With driving the cars and with the motorcycle it seems logical to have a gentle arm bend, around 10-20 degree I guess, for ideal movement and leverage and it makes me cringe, especially when you see Hollywood stars, riding a motorbike with about a 90 degree bend in their arm, ie Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. No idea and no-one would tell her it looks like muppetry.  Drive/ride safe.  

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but was spending quality time with my wife. 

Woman joins car forum to be 'one of the lads' (For some unexplainable reason...

you don't see blokes joining Mumsnet so they can explore their female side.)

and then get upset when there's a bit of typical male banter flying around. 

Especially on an age old (OFF) topic thread about  woman 'drivers' and their baffling adventures with cars.... Priceless.

Well if you want to focus your regret that you weren't born male on me then whatever makes you feel

better about being precious priceless fragile delicate ladies I guess... (Is that better?). 

I honestly couldn't care less if you are offended. Deal with it. Feeling offence is entirely subjective. 

But you have to ask yourself why it was exactly you came into this thread, what did you think you would see

based on the title? There are certain female members who must actively seek out what they perceive as

'anti female' threads so they can tubthump away on what great examples of the gender they are compared

to other more 'typical' women and pour scorn on those who dare to say anything not entirely flattering to their

gender. The forum is full of examples of these double standards. 

Needless to say they have all popped up in this thread. Fancy that.

You could have just retorted with a similar remark back at me (this is how banter works by the way)

and I would have laughed it off and not got my panties in a bunch over a throwaway remark. 

So in summary, it's only okay to make fun of or criticise  women if you are one is that it??? Like i said before

get over yourself, you don't deserve any extra regard from me because you happen to be a female.

This is called equality, I'm less of a mysogynist than all the sycophants that will inevitably pop up to gallantly

defend you whether you asked for it or not. I prefer to think you can fight your own (self imagined) battles.

• Like 2

Yeah, and my Mum is 4'14" to my 5'10", but we can swap drivers in her Jazz without doing anything more than adjusting the mirrors because I like sitting with my knees and elbows bent.