Best value SatNav?

Chan110

I splashed 400 quid on my Garmin Zumo 660.

With dedicated mounts for car and motorbike (it knows which it is on and uses appropriate pre programmed settings),

waterproof body, simplified controls function(for when wearing gloves), mp3 player, full bluetooth functionality inc phone

pairing and wireless audio streaming etc.  Lifetime map updates, Base camp route planning software, a carry case

and every type of charger imaginable. Plus speed trap warnings, lane guidance and all the usual guff

So far it's been great. Built in Sat nav dates a car, I have it in my Audi and in all honesty wish I hadn't bothered looking

for one with RNSE. Next car will NOT have in built sat nav, it just makes a car desirable to thieves for the first few years and

then is an expensive thing to do away with when it is (quickly) obsolete.  

With dedicated mounts for car and motorbike (it knows which it is on and uses appropriate pre programmed settings),

waterproof body, simplified controls function(for when wearing gloves), mp3 player, full bluetooth functionality inc phone

pairing and wireless audio streaming etc.  Lifetime map updates, Base camp route planning software, a carry case

and every type of charger imaginable. Plus speed trap warnings, lane guidance and all the usual guff

So far it's been great. Built in Sat nav dates a car, I have it in my Audi and in all honesty wish I hadn't bothered looking

for one with RNSE. Next car will NOT have in built sat nav, it just makes a car desirable to thieves for the first few years and

Wow

Get what u paid for as they say then, Garry? ;)

I went to use the Amundsen nav in my Mk2 Octy yesterday to get me to the dealer to sort out ordering my new Mk3. It would recognise the postcode at all.

Used my smartphone and google maps to get me there instead. 

waterproof body, simplified controls function(for when wearing gloves), mp3 player, full bluetooth functionality inc phone

pairing and wireless audio streaming etc. Lifetime map updates, Base camp route planning software, a carry case

Thats the one up from mine. I've got the 390, not entirely sure on the added features of yours, I'm not that clued up.

Have you used the 'curvy roads' function? Is it any good?

As yet no but I only got time to fit it toward the end of last season.

I didn't seem to find much time for riding as I was away in new zealand 

from mid sep and by the time I came home the season had changed here.

Went to the New Forest meet using it though and it was cool having music

on whilst riding which faded out when a direction came up on the nav just like

the posh nav in the Audi does B) . Speed camera alerts are handy too, especially when

I've travelled a fair way from home and I'm off my patch. Mines mounted on my left handlebar

but it came with a good quality RAM mount and is as solid as a rock. I've probably used it most

in the van tbh, I'm doing up another flat and I'm always zooming around buying stuff up on ebay for 

the place. Always seem to be trying to find somebodys house with it. 

• Like 1

I was going to buy the 660 as it has a favorable review or two from my local RAT group.  In the end I decided I could do without the waterproof stuff and I doubt I will be working it with gloves on as if I am stopped I can quickly take a glove off and wouldn't dream of using it whilst actually riding. I shall use a RAM mount and a waterproof case but I think the main use for me will be in the coach.

I agree about the car only sat nav can soon be out of date and from what I have heard can be troublesome.  Having said that I think it really is a case of you pay your money and take your chance.  Going back to the reviews on Amazon from users of various brands and models some people are more than happy and some have had nothing but trouble.  It very often is a case  of odd ones being duff rather than all of a particular model I am sure.

Regards Chris

I’m assuming thats a built in BMW sat nav then?

Even my very 1st portable TomTom would re-route almost instantly.

No, it is a "proper" Tom Tom in an older 5 series, that he paid a lot of money for only a couple of years ago. We were in his car and running both for comparison, the Asus with FreeNav was far faster re-plotting a route of about 50 miles.

the posh nav in the Audi does B) . Speed camera alerts are handy too, especially when

I've travelled a fair way from home and I'm off my patch. Mines mounted on my left handlebar

but it came with a good quality RAM mount and is as solid as a rock. I've probably used it most

in the van tbh, I'm doing up another flat and I'm always zooming around buying stuff up on ebay for 

IIRC you seemed to find us very easily despite the rerouting (Jay's fault :notme:) despite you never being there before, mate.

Sounds good mate!

Yeah I've put a few pics in the bike thread of mine a month or so back.

Bought an adaptor so it sits in the steering yoke hole of the viffer. Quite like it there. But i too havent had chance to test it properly yet

Just arrived!

Looks good, slim, light (coz cheap plastic - cant complain for £40).

Lots of accessories

User manual in ENGLISH! WOW :)

Well packed too!

Shame no 3 pin plug :(

0C7DF6B4-05DA-4F42-99DF-0FD7466ECD1F-259

12128943-475B-46ED-9162-7D731D5E3FC5-259

9E25B9B7-8D8A-4C36-A442-730E8F8597ED-259

1st impression

QUICK!

But it uses the OLD RESISTIVE "push" screen (not touch screen) :(

Still, it was £40 :)

This on my phone and tablet:

http://copilotgps.com/uk/personal/android.asp

From memory, it was about £30 to buy and then £26 for a complete set of EU maps (including Central and Eastern Europe). Upgrades to the software and map data is free and regular, the graphics are better than the Tom Tom I had, and the built in satnav in my Honda and the Leon. I use it regularly abroad on business trips in rental cars, just need to remember to take the screen mount and a cigarette lighter / USB connector! The traffic rerouting is sometimes a bit behind reality, but then the built in one in the Leon is pretty useless in this respect. You can use it for public transport (so shows bus and train routes) as well as walking about. Similar functionality to Google maps, but without the need for a mobile data signal as the maps are stored on the device.

Ive worked all over the country for the last 10 years, and had most of them. Never really had a problem with tomtoms apart from getting them nicked. Had a garmin once, its next to the ring road in Leicester if you want it. Now I use Google maps on my phone. If it gets a signal loss, it generally keeps going for quite a way. Planning a route when you've got no signal doesnt work, but other than that, its spot on, especially when you haven't been given a proper address and have to do an Internet search for a place.

Only downside is, its as good as the handset you use it on.

It was a nightmare on an xperia z with its charging and overhearing problems, but I can use it all day on my current phone.

I agree with StevesTruck I've driven coaches many years and although I have a tom tom I always go back to Google on my phone it's never let me down. I'm just going into driving HGV's an will continue to use trusty Google.

for a bit more money why not get a skoda headunit

I like the look of the in house Skoda unit,but what stereo comes with that set up,I've got the old Dance unit at present which compared to previous vehicles built in stereos is pretty damn decent.

Right

Not happy bunny with my new toy (satnav).

Its going back!

GPS reception is weak.

Push screen is awkward once stuck to windscreen.

Worse it a lot of times selects the wrong letter for u or even don't select at all! :(

Right

Its going back!

GPS reception is weak.

Worse it a lot of times selects the wrong letter for u or even don't select at all! :(

Haha you bought chinese

:P jokes

Right

Its going back!

GPS reception is weak.

The old saying buy cheap buy twice springs to mind ;)
  • Like 1

I agree with StevesTruck I've driven coaches many years and although I have a tom tom I always go back to Google on my phone it's never let me down. I'm just going into driving HGV's an will continue to use trusty Google.

Which is fine in the UK. Try roaming charges in Europe

Which brings us back to FreeNav, which keeps the maps on your phone/tablet (UK&ROI map is 550MB).

I've figured out why I needed to download the maps again and again, there were being stored on the SD card - which I had swapped out for a newer, larger one (8 to 16 and then 16 to 32GB).

Which brings us back to FreeNav, which keeps the maps on your phone/tablet (UK&ROI map is 550MB).

I've figured out why I needed to download the maps again and again, there were being stored on the SD card - which I had swapped out for a newer, larger one (8 to 16 and then 16 to 32GB).

As I now tried the cheap Chinese satnav - with not much luck.

I might as well try my phone again.

There is NavFree on Apple Store - will give that a go too now ....